• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Christians: How’d you do it?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
For the first time in my life, I am considering abandoning my Christianity. I am considering becoming a deist / auto theist.
Perhaps Christ was a great philosopher, and a religion was made out of a simple man.
I doubt I was lucky enough to be born into the right religion, while most other people were not. In fact I want to refuse to believe that. When I joined RF, I identified as a syncretist, because I was trying to find a way to synchronize all religions. This pursuit burnt me out when I found it to be a silly impossible task.
I believe there to be a higher power, I know this. I’ve been a young earther intelligent design believer all my life, I’m thinking of letting that go.
I have been proud to use God as my crutch all my life. I thought that this is what God is for. But God doesn’t hear our prayers, does He? He doesn’t hear our begging. Those in Ukraine cry out to Him every day I’m sure, yet they die every day. Does God hear them?
I’m fearful of the Christian God as I type this, because if He is real, I am sure He is sorely displeased by my betrayal. But I accepted Christianity all of my life because I’ve hoped it to be true. I’ve gone through all the apologetics and have let myself be convinced that Christianity is the right religion. By doing this, I have given up the power of independent thought from an early age. I was never afforded the chance to decide for myself if Christianity was true. Salvation was brought to me at an early age thanks to my environment.
I have a religion of one. That being what I’ve come to understand through the power of my own independent thought. I am tired of looking to religions to spoon feed me the truth.
former Christian, did you ever fear God? I fear Him, I’ve trained myself to. I rely on this fear. But fear is bad! Were you not afraid of being wrong? I want to claim my freedom and be an auto theist, and through my own power change the world positively. Scared of Hell though. Yet, most of those who I know and associate with, including many of this site, are supposedly going to burn for eternity. To hell with it, if I abandon Christianity and am wrong, I’ll have plenty of company in hell.
I feel abandoning my Christianity and relying on my own power is the only way to change my life around. Through definiteness of purpose, I will achieve all of my aims. I do not need a theistic God to submit to. I should submit to no one but myself.
As I type this, I’m sure God is going to have me hit by a car next week and send me straight to hell. I’m scared of this God. More the reason to break free?
I would like to hear from former Christians. Did you get struck by a lightning bolt or something shortly after disowning Christianity?

I left, not because of the church but the people in that church who were very nasty. Age 14 i walked away. Soon after i was able to read the Bible and discovered the source that moulded their personalities. The Abrahamic god was said in the book to be a real nasty one. Actually reading the Bible turned me off gods completely.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
For the first time in my life, I am considering abandoning my Christianity. I am considering becoming a deist / auto theist.
Perhaps Christ was a great philosopher, and a religion was made out of a simple man.
I doubt I was lucky enough to be born into the right religion, while most other people were not. In fact I want to refuse to believe that. When I joined RF, I identified as a syncretist, because I was trying to find a way to synchronize all religions. This pursuit burnt me out when I found it to be a silly impossible task.
I believe there to be a higher power, I know this. I’ve been a young earther intelligent design believer all my life, I’m thinking of letting that go.
I have been proud to use God as my crutch all my life. I thought that this is what God is for. But God doesn’t hear our prayers, does He? He doesn’t hear our begging. Those in Ukraine cry out to Him every day I’m sure, yet they die every day. Does God hear them?
I’m fearful of the Christian God as I type this, because if He is real, I am sure He is sorely displeased by my betrayal. But I accepted Christianity all of my life because I’ve hoped it to be true. I’ve gone through all the apologetics and have let myself be convinced that Christianity is the right religion. By doing this, I have given up the power of independent thought from an early age. I was never afforded the chance to decide for myself if Christianity was true. Salvation was brought to me at an early age thanks to my environment.
I have a religion of one. That being what I’ve come to understand through the power of my own independent thought. I am tired of looking to religions to spoon feed me the truth.
former Christian, did you ever fear God? I fear Him, I’ve trained myself to. I rely on this fear. But fear is bad! Were you not afraid of being wrong? I want to claim my freedom and be an auto theist, and through my own power change the world positively. Scared of Hell though. Yet, most of those who I know and associate with, including many of this site, are supposedly going to burn for eternity. To hell with it, if I abandon Christianity and am wrong, I’ll have plenty of company in hell.
I feel abandoning my Christianity and relying on my own power is the only way to change my life around. Through definiteness of purpose, I will achieve all of my aims. I do not need a theistic God to submit to. I should submit to no one but myself.
As I type this, I’m sure God is going to have me hit by a car next week and send me straight to hell. I’m scared of this God. More the reason to break free?
I would like to hear from former Christians. Did you get struck by a lightning bolt or something shortly after disowning Christianity?
For me it was simply noticing there was nothing really special or different left to offer, once you see it all every week after week after week, month after month year, year after year it became all too clear. There was just no power or influence in response to the dogma.

It's easy to walk away once you realize things are in reality, no different from anyone's else's with no more or less improvement in people's lives that stand out as being unique or special.

I found over time its really just a room full of people playing make believe, solely because there was nothing special occurring in the environment itself, which was completely indifferent to anything said or done.

Colt

I started to follow the religion of Jesus rather than the religion about Jesus with all of its speculation, conjecture and Pagan add-ons.

Jesus was dedicated exclusively to seeking and doing the will of the Father. He did that and revealed the Father in his life. That is what we are called to do.

Rather than telling God what our will is for him how about asking God what his will is for us? What if we give up our own preconceived notion about God and stop treating him like a Santa Clause that we only call on in an emergency!

Anyone inside or outside of religion who searches for God with a whole heart will find God. Gods not lost! He is within us waiting for that glorious day that we set aside "self" and truly want to know him.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I was only a Christian by default, by growing up in a mainly Christian household (and mainly from my mother too), but as soon as I was capable of sufficient reasoning I began the process of discarding such beliefs - last year of primary school I seem to recall. So I wasn't really a Christian by choice anyway - which is the position of so many others too, and with those having other religious beliefs. I rebelled against any Sunday school teaching (just one or two visits) and seemingly my mother didn't mind, given she didn't insist I went to them. Religion didn't play much of a part in our daily lives anyway and we didn't go to church apart from the usual special events. I was probably quite lucky in many respects, given that our household was quite peaceful - no arguments between parents, no smacking of children, no great sibling rivalry, and a very capable and loving mother. Dad wasn't too bad either. :oops:

Whether there was any fear of what might happen whilst rejecting such beliefs I can't remember, but I doubt such existed or was overcome, given that it was just my reasoning as to all such beliefs not being correct - not trusting the veracity of religious texts at all and discovering the existence of so many different religious beliefs - and hence I just didn't accept any of the threats or whatever coming from religions in general as being at all factual. Quite easy to dismiss anything coming from religions when one doesn't believe their factual basis - as to prophets, for example. And perhaps my being involved in various outdoor activities in my youth, some being a bit dangerous, might have strengthened my courage and resolve.

The power of religions can be rather difficult to overcome, given the numbers of believers and the long histories of such, but if one has any intellectual integrity then one must accept what one believes and what one doesn't believe. And as to such, because one necessarily is in a minority, perhaps it does take courage to go against the stream, even though there are so many different and competing beliefs, and hence where many are doing exactly the same.

All this had no real impact on how I would live my life, given that I had no issues with how I acted in life and towards others - being relatively content during early childhood and youth. I seemed to have gotten my morality from my mother - her example as to how she behaved towards us all and towards others - and religion wasn't what was projected by her. Her life had been hard enough as a child and as to being abused by her father, but her character and intelligence seemed to have enabled her to survive and thrive without much of this earlier life seemingly affecting her.

All the mess that has happened in my life mainly seems to have come from unfortunate incidents and perhaps from others passing by on the opposite side of the road - so I've never blamed any presumed God(s) or religions. So nothing to do with religions, and as to which I have no love, hate, or indifference, apart from that which often tends to emanate from them. And as to such, I tend to see as many or more negatives than positives.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
the hot sauce falls out of the cupboard and spills all over the kitchen floor

Yet you don't take this as a sign that you have strayed from the path of righteousness? Isn't it obvious? - the hot sauce represents the eternal fires of hell and you are the kitchen floor.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I compare tunneling out of Christianity to quitting smoking. It was equally difficult psychologically. I had had experiences in my first congregation upon converting into Christianity that I interpreted as the presence of the Holy Spirit, that I later came to understand were my own mind. I was discharged from the Army and left that first congregation upon discharge (I converted to Christianity in the Army), and returned to California.

I went to about a half dozen congregations there, finding them all lifeless. Eventually, I realized that what I had been interpreting as the Holy Spirit in my first congregation was just a psychological state induced by a gifted and charismatic pastor in Maryland, since that feeling didn't come with me to California, and decided to leave the religion. I found myself praying to a god I no longer believed in if asked, but couldn't stop asking for a sign if I was wrong and making an error.

Your transition should be easier, since, if I understand you correctly, you're not leaving theism, just religion.

pearl

I’ve gone through all the apologetics and have let myself be convinced that Christianity is the right religion.

Instead of 'apologetics' take a look at some critical scholarship. Periods of doubt are normal, even the saints had them. Our problem with faith may not be God, but the concept of God that we have formed.

Clara Tea

We can assert that God is love.

Some will argue. They'll say that God doesn't cure cancer and allows cruel deaths (animals eating animals), and poops, and bad smells.

Yet, some assert that God is love and God is good, no matter what we say.

The Catholic church allows Mafioso (the church doesn't object, as it should). We can use "Rocko" (a made up name), a Mafia hit man, to spread a little "love" of his own. The Mafia's love is defined in much the same way that God's love is defined....brutal, ruthless, crooked, self-serving. Anything that we need can be obtained with Rocko's help. If we want a promotion at work, I'm sure that Rocko could persuade our boss (or the position of boss might suddenly become available is something, heaven forbid, should happen to the current boss--promotion by assassination).

After we get what we want (our self-serving desires satisfied with our new promotion), we can, once again, assert that Rocko is love (Mafia love).

God allows hell. The Mafia creates its own hell (right here on earth).

God might send you to hell. The Mafia might fit you with cement shoes and send you to the east river, New Jersey.

God's tactics and the Mafia's tactics are very much alike. No wonder the Vatican allows Mafioso in their churches.

The Vatican has many assets. Those assets are being carefully shielded by bankrupcy filings (so boy-raping priests who were allowed to rape more little boys in other parishes where they moved, could not financially compensate their victims, in order to protect the mammon of the Catholic church...they love mammon more than God).

One asset of the Vatican, oddly, is a house of prostitution. It seems incongruous that a church would own sin. But not if sin is tolerated and if sin provides money to the church (love of mammon over God).

If Mafioso are providing income to the church, it must be part of God's plan, and therefore, ordained by God that we should have houses of prostitution and Mafia hit men. It would be unholy to stop using them.

So, the churches have a loving God, a place where love is freely shared (just ask the madam), and a Mafia hit man to help spread love.

All we have to do is accept the "new definition" of the word "love."

President George W. Bush attacked peaceful nations (not linked to terrorism) of Iraq and Afghanistan, and tried to lie us into a war with Niger, but his plans fell through when Wilson refused to lie, so they outed Valery Plame (CIA wife) as punishment for telling the truth. W. Bush had to get prisoners to lie about their involvement with terrorism...he had to in order to justify his unjust wars. So, torture camps were set up in Guantanamo, Cuba (where it was thought that US laws could not reach, and it was behind the back of Congress), and there were numerous other torture camps around the world. When caught, W. Bush's attorney (Dr. John Woo, professor of law at Chapman University) changed the definition of the word "torture" so that no torture ever did exist (anywhere), nor could any torture ever exist anywhere. Thus, holocaust deniers could rightly deny the torture deaths of 6,000,000 Jews.

Just as the word "torture" was changed, to make it appear that torture never existed, the word "love" has been changed to apply to God's actions. Thus, we can say that God is love (as long as love is hate, violence, and harm, that is).

Redefining is another way of lying.

So, when we are incredulous at theists saying that God is love, we should realize that they are plying their trade of lying to make it seem that God is love. Since when is the Catholic church about lying? torture? killing? (thou shalt not kill).

firedragon

Veteran Member

I am no Christian, nor am I an ex. But you have completely misunderstood "fear of God". I could be wrong.

Fear of God is a fear like fearing a tyrant or a thief. Fearing God is the conscience you have in your heart that speaks to you saying "God is there". This prevents you from doing dirty or wrong things behind the curtains. Like hurt someone, thieving on the sly, taking bribes, cheating on your spouse, molesting children secretly, etc, etc, etc.

Where ever you were taught Christianity, even if that type of teaching is widespread, you were taught wrong.

A Vestigial Mote

I’m fearful of the Christian God as I type this, because if He is real, I am sure He is sorely displeased by my betrayal.
Fear not! I have never once in my life literally believed, and I have defied the edicts to "love God" and "not take His name in vain", etc. for quite a long time. I've made somewhat of a career of it, in fact, and I dare say that nothing bad has befallen me. Oh wait... maybe that time that window-pane crashed down on my hand and ripped it open, exposing the tendons? Hmmm... or maybe the times I've had my back go out were Him trying to communicate with me? Ah! Perhaps when I cut myself shaving this morning? But then... how am I to learn what it is I am doing wrong if no one appears to explain why these tragic instances have befallen me? Perhaps God just doesn't make any sense at all? Punishing people in secret, without explanations and so forth. Seems like bad business.

Scared of Hell though. Yet, most of those who I know and associate with, including many of this site, are supposedly going to burn for eternity. To hell with it, if I abandon Christianity and am wrong, I’ll have plenty of company in hell.
Well, if it exists, and if the tales of woe to come to those who merely don't believe are true, then I'll be there. That's for sure. Though I fear that hell exists in the exact same amount that I fear that Santa's North Pole exists. Evidence for either has only EVER been found in the words of others. That's telling.

As I type this, I’m sure God is going to have me hit by a car next week and send me straight to hell.
Again... to punish people in these sorts of ways, without explanation, and therefore not giving the person any chance to correct their mistakes or reform - do you truly believe that God would be so irrational? So unfair and unjust? If so... then deism is definitely your best bet. Though even that is a bit too believe-y for my tastes.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

love is a burning thing. it makes a fiery ring.

revelation 15:2

it's going to be alright. be free to be

if you meet christ along the road, slay him.

i could kill you with my bare hands; if i was free. - song for zula

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Yet you don't take this as a sign that you have strayed from the path of righteousness? Isn't it obvious? - the hot sauce represents the eternal fires of hell and you are the kitchen floor.

Well, why don't you pretend to be a savior, grab a mop, and see to extinguishing the flames of hell. :)

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

It is extremely scary to doubt and leave, but fear is a debilitating thing to deal with, especially in religion. I thought Yahweh would smite me when I left, but after 4 or 5 days, I was fine. It's okay, you can do this. I wish I had had the courage to leave sooner.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I left, not because of the church but the people in that church who were very nasty. Age 14 i walked away. Soon after i was able to read the Bible and discovered the source that moulded their personalities. The Abrahamic god was said in the book to be a real nasty one. Actually reading the Bible turned me off gods completely.

No kidding! I can't believe that I used to believe that the God of the Bible was loving, merciful, and morally righteous. I used to believe that, in spite of what I knew of him from reading the Bible, especially the Old Testament. If I dared to ever question God, then other Christians would tell me that we can't truly understand why God does what he does because his ways are not our ways. One Christian I know even snidely asked me, "Do you think you know better than God?" when we were discussing why God didn't intervene in the Holocaust and a few other horrific atrocities. In fact, this person was very upset with me for questioning God. He said it was arrogant of me to question God. And there are also Christians who say I was personally responsible for the abuse and bullying I suffered while growing up and that God didn't intervene and save me because I didn't have enough faith in him.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
It is extremely scary to doubt and leave, but fear is a debilitating thing to deal with, especially in religion. I thought Yahweh would smite me when I left, but after 4 or 5 days, I was fine. It's okay, you can do this. I wish I had had the courage to leave sooner.

It was extremely scary for me too, in spite of the fact that my husband is very supportive of my decision to step away from my Christian faith. My husband is a Christian himself, and he's one of the handful of Christians that I know who are kind people. If it weren't for him and the other couple of Christians I know, I'm pretty sure I would thoroughly despise Christianity because of my past experiences when I was a Christian myself. I encountered other Christians who tried to shame me and make me feel guilty for forsaking God. And there were also Christians who tried to threaten me and scare me with hellfire and brimstone lectures.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
No kidding! I can't believe that I used to believe that the God of the Bible was loving, merciful, and morally righteous. I used to believe that, in spite of what I knew of him from reading the Bible, especially the Old Testament. If I dared to ever question God, then other Christians would tell me that we can't truly understand why God does what he does because his ways are not our ways. One Christian I know even snidely asked me, "Do you think you know better than God?" when we were discussing why God didn't intervene in the Holocaust and a few other horrific atrocities. In fact, this person was very upset with me for questioning God. He said it was arrogant of me to question God. And there are also Christians who say I was personally responsible for the abuse and bullying I suffered while growing up and that God didn't intervene and save me because I didn't have enough faith in him.

Religious Stockholm Syndrome.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It was extremely scary for me too, in spite of the fact that my husband is very supportive of my decision to step away from my Christian faith. My husband is a Christian himself, and he's one of the handful of Christians that I know who are kind people. If it weren't for him and the other couple of Christians I know, I'm pretty sure I would thoroughly despise Christianity because of my past experiences when I was a Christian myself. I encountered other Christians who tried to shame me and make me feel guilty for forsaking God. And there were also Christians who tried to threaten me and scare me with hellfire and brimstone lectures.

Been there, where i lived was quite a small, close init village, the horrible, snide, remarks, the whispering and silence when i entered a shop after i left only reinforced my decision that i had left for good reason.

Not long before I moved to France (some 30 years after leaving the church) the vicar called on me at home and "suggested" i should return. Honestly i used no violence to show him the way out.

I get threatened with hell regularly, even on this forum.

No one should live in fear of their ex religion or change in their belief.