• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Form of Shiva

Yogi1054

Shakti
I'm wondering if anyone can help me…..

Ive noticed a few murtis and pictures of Lord Shiva pouring water on himself.

In my copy of the Hatha Yoga Pradipika (Bihar Yoga) the first page has the same image and the the first verse states:

" Salutations to the glorious primal guru, Sri Adinath, who instructed the knowledge of hatha yoga which shine forth as a stairway for those who wish to ascend to the highest stage of yoga, raja yoga"

Is the image of Shiva pouring water over himself Sri Adinath or is there another name for this image?

Many thanks

Om Shanti

Attachments

• IMG_2400.JPG
    IMG_2400.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2397.JPG
    IMG_2397.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2399.JPG
    IMG_2399.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 0

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Shri/Sri Adinath translates roughly to "First Lord." Adinath Shiva is sometimes a name used by his devotees.
I don't think it's specific to a form, as a Google Image search just comes up with "normal" Shiva depictions. But I dunno, maybe it's a regional quirk.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It is a sectoral quirk, not the common conception. Why would Shiva need to pour water on his head when Mother Ganges descended from heaven in his locks and got lost there. The story is that he had to squeeze is locks of hair or untie them to let Mother Ganges continue her journey. That is the common concept. As for him being called Adi Nath (First Lord, as Some Random said), there is no problem at all. He is that for his devotees.

feb98.jpg

Shantanu

I'm wondering if anyone can help me…..

Ive noticed a few murtis and pictures of Lord Shiva pouring water on himself.

In my copy of the Hatha Yoga Pradipika (Bihar Yoga) the first page has the same image and the the first verse states:

" Salutations to the glorious primal guru, Sri Adinath, who instructed the knowledge of hatha yoga which shine forth as a stairway for those who wish to ascend to the highest stage of yoga, raja yoga"

Is the image of Shiva pouring water over himself Sri Adinath or is there another name for this image?

Many thanks

Om Shanti
Hatha Yoga is exclusive to Lord Shiva, but gyan yoga is essential part of truth seeking to determine the components of reality.