• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Foreign oil dependence a 'massive vulnerability' as defence experts call for EVs, green transport

danieldemol

Premium Member
  • 'Australia imports 90 per cent of its oil needs from overseas suppliers, with much coming from China
  • Defence experts say the reliance leaves Australia's economy critically exposed to supply disruption
  • Fears of conflict in the Asia-Pacific have led to calls for Australia to speed up its shift to EVs, green transport'
Source: Defence experts call for EVs, green transport acceleration over concerns foreign oil a 'massive' weakness

It surprises me that the defence industry is raising awareness now of the need for electric vehicles as opposed to say 10 years ago or whenever Australia switched to dependence on foreign oil imports (perhaps it was always this way for all I know and never switched).

In my opinion.

We Never Know

No Slack
  • 'Australia imports 90 per cent of its oil needs from overseas suppliers, with much coming from China
  • Defence experts say the reliance leaves Australia's economy critically exposed to supply disruption
  • Fears of conflict in the Asia-Pacific have led to calls for Australia to speed up its shift to EVs, green transport'
Source: Defence experts call for EVs, green transport acceleration over concerns foreign oil a 'massive' weakness

It surprises me that the defence industry is raising awareness now of the need for electric vehicles as opposed to say 10 years ago or whenever Australia switched to dependence on foreign oil imports (perhaps it was always this way for all I know and never switched).

In my opinion.

The US produces roughly 15 million barrels of oil per day, which is more than anyone.

However we use 19-20 million barrels of oil per day, again which is more than anyone.

We Never Know

No Slack

In my opinion.

One thing I've heard some people say is...
"To increase the sell of electric vehicle's you must raise gas prices to push buyers toward them"

F1fan

Veteran Member
One thing I've heard some people say is...
"To increase the sell of electric vehicle's you must raise gas prices to push buyers toward them"
The dilemma is that new products take time to improve and become efficient, so if these vehicles aren't being bought in big numbers there won't be money to invest in research. There's going to be a hard growing curve if conservatives don't accept green options.

F1fan

Veteran Member
That's pretty good profits, and Musk is doing plenty of research. Even Tesla had problems that had to be worked out. My point is that it's better to help create demand now so that other car companies can be confident to invest more now, and then have the resources to update recall problems of early versions. One major problem is the lack of infrastructure for EV and Republicans are not excited to in vest in that.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Another green authoritarian push.

Screw them.
How do you fail to see this? Dependence on someone like China for something so necessary is a massive vulnerability. Over reliance on anything is. There in Australia, here in America, China quits doing business and it's going to really, really suck. Relying more on renewable energy here is how we remedy this vulnerability, create jobs, and it's now or never on being a world leader in green energy. The world is going that way. Why shouldn't we at least attempt to lead instead of continued reliance on ACTUAL dictators and tyrants?
Amd don't forget, the Aussies aren't scared of the American RW boogieman

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Why do you see it as authoritarian to raise awareness of a needed change?

In my opinion.
It's fine of and in itself. In fact I encourage it.

What's not fine is knowingly and willfully forcing an underdeveloped and inferior technology on people in attempts to knocking them back into the stone age because of some freakish utopian ideology of creating a perfect society made in one's own image.

Twilight Hue

And this is why gas prices are high and will keep going higher over time.
No.

It's artificially and purposely kept high to push leftest green agendas.

Stats from CNN money....

City Price in USD Regular/Gallon
Saudi Arabia Riyadh $0.91
Kuwait Kuwait City $0.78
Egypt Cairo $0.65
Nigeria Lagos $0.38

CNN/Money: Global gas prices

Btw... it's freakin 12 cents a gallon in Venezuela.

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
It's fine of and in itself. In fact I encourage it.

What's not fine is knowingly and willfully forcing an underdeveloped and inferior technology on people
Why do you regard it as inferior?
in attempts to knocking them back into the stone age
They had electric cars in the stoneage? Consider me skeptical.
because of some freakish utopian ideology of creating a perfect society made in one's own image.
Sounds like you would see any attempt at bringing needed change this way.

In my opinion.

danieldemol

Premium Member
No.

It's artificially and purposely kept high to push leftest green agendas.

Stats from CNN money....

City Price in USD Regular/Gallon
Saudi Arabia Riyadh $0.91
Kuwait Kuwait City $0.78
Egypt Cairo $0.65
Nigeria Lagos $0.38

CNN/Money: Global gas prices

Btw... it's freakin 12 cents a gallon in Venezuela.
In the context of Australia it is high because the tax added to it funds public roads, which means the people who use the roads pay for them.

It is also high because it is mostly imported unlike those other oil producing nations.

In my opinion.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

In my opinion.

I read once that we produce about 80% of our crude oil needs but since Kurnell refinery closed we can't convert it to fuels. So like all our other primary produce we sell it off and buy it back at 3 times the price. I can't guarantee if what I remember was factual or my recollection is accurate.

Twilight Hue

In the context of Australia it is high because the tax added to it funds public roads, which means the people who use the roads pay for them.

It is also high because it is mostly imported unlike those other oil producing nations.

In my opinion.
You know the funding roads thing and the like is tiresome as an excuse.

If the money does supposedly go to roads and infrastructure , then obviously it's not true givin the poor conditions that exist right now, indicating that nothing of the sort is happening already.

I'm convinced most of it pays for special interest and pork barrel funds to accommodate bought and payed for politictions long termed and entrenched careers.