• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Foreign Monks.....

syoonsh

I am just wondering....especially for those who lives in Asia right now,
kp1_2060808s2998.jpg

does you're country has many foreign monks such as from all around the world?
Let's say for example in Korea, there are many American, Canadian, European
monks living in Korea tens of years. I found this interesting because this leads to my interest to buddhism.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Syoonsh,
What you are terming forign is the physical body in this life and the country of birth as refernce points.
Religion is about realising TRUTH and it is by merging the individual energy with the universal energy and then all dualities disappear.
Means to state that humans have evolved and so spiritually all living beings have the same root and so none is a foreigner anywhere as here past is no more and future unknown what is IS HERE-NOW.
Interest towars any path has to be an individuals own calling not dependent on whether foriegners take to buddhism in Korea or not.
Love & rgds

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Hello, Syoonsh -

I know that in my small tradition (Japanese) there are a growing number of people from outside Japan who are interested in ordination, and have begun practice towards that. The number who have achieved ordination is yet quite small but will obviously grow as time passes.

Somkid

Yep, we have them all in Thailand. When I was a monk in China we had 37 including myself that were from Western countries just in my temple.