• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

..Force priests to violate confession seal..

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
"Denver Newsroom, Jan 13, 2021 / 09:01 pm MT (CNA).- Three North Dakota state legislators introduced a bill this week that would oblige Catholic priests to violate the seal of confession in cases of confirmed or suspected child abuse, on penalty of imprisonment or heavy fines."

North Dakota bill would force priests to violate confession seal in abuse cases

IF this somehow manages to go through, I'm curious to see how in the world they are going to enforce it. This can set precedence to invading just about any other facet of any religion, not just Catholicism.

How much more private can you get in the confessional.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
"Denver Newsroom, Jan 13, 2021 / 09:01 pm MT (CNA).- Three North Dakota state legislators introduced a bill this week that would oblige Catholic priests to violate the seal of confession in cases of confirmed or suspected child abuse, on penalty of imprisonment or heavy fines."

IF this somehow manages to go through, I'm curious to see how in the world they are going to enforce it. This can set precedence to invading just about any other facet of any religion, not just Catholicism.

Surely it would be appealed to the USSC.

Quiddity

Surely it would be appealed to the USSC.

You don't even have to be Catholic to know how serious we take the confessional. It will not even reach any judiciary body within the Catholic Church. They have no authority to change it because it can't be changed; not this.

Quiddity

The so called professional confidentiality is applied not only to priests...but also to psychiatrists, psychologists, lawyers...

If memory serves me, I believe confidentiality can be breached under certain conditions in those other fields.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

What these same people don't seem to get is that if the confessional is no longer private, people with serious problems, criminal or not, will simply stop going. Thus, there's nothing to be gained but something to be lost.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
You don't even have to be Catholic to know how serious we take the confessional. It will not even reach any judiciary body within the Catholic Church. They have no authority to change it because it can't be changed; not this.

I hear you brother. It is unacceptable.