• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those Catholics concerned about the ethical validity of covid vaccines

pearl

I have heard some anti abortion Catholics question the morality of vaccines and plan to refuse them.
This statement from the USCCB should clear it up for you.

“In terms of the moral principles of being concerned about the use of any pharmaceuticals that were developed from aborted fetuses, that is certainly an issue that we all want to be cognizant of and try to avoid their use,” he said. “With that in mind, the Pfizer and Moderna Covid vaccines that are coming out are not even tainted with that moral problem.”

Catholics should protest against the use of stem cells derived from aborted fetuses by pharmaceutical companies, the memo states, invoking teaching from The Pontifical Academy for Life. But, the memo states, “public health must not be sacrificed.”

U.S. bishops’ internal memo: Catholics can take Covid-19 vaccines | America Magazine

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Good article.

Although I do find it peculiar why you choose to call them anti-abortion vs calling them pro-life.

Quiddity

Perhaps he dislikes the loaded term "pro-life" as much as I do. ;)

As long as one is consistent and dislikes the loaded term pro-choice equally? :shrug:

It's a partial annoyance at worst. I'd likely use whatever term moves the conversation along.

exchemist

Veteran Member
As long as one is consistent and dislikes the loaded term pro-choice equally? :shrug:

It's a partial annoyance at worst. I'd likely use whatever term moves the conversation along.
I agree, "pro-choice" is equally tendentious and manipulative. I loathe such rhetorical practices.

That's why I always use the more factual and neutral term "anti-abortion".

Quiddity

I agree, "pro-choice" is equally tendentious and manipulative. I loathe such rhetorical practices.

That's why I always use the more factual and neutral term "anti-abortion".

Unless of course, the abortion is a miscarriage. Even that term can carry some baggage when engaging in a dialogue.

Quiddity

Nobody uses the term abortion to describe a miscarriage.

Precisely. :)

Most of the common world uses the term pro-life without all the baggage that may or may not be presumed.

It's more a common phenomenon to take issue with it.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Precisely. :)

Most of the common world uses the term pro-life without all the baggage that may or may not be presumed.

It's more a common phenomenon to take issue with it.
That's untrue. "Pro-life" is a stupidly tendentious term that annoys the hell out of even moderate Catholics. I mean, who is "anti-life"? Nobody in my experience ever uses "pro-life" unless they are grinding an anti-abortion axe. And that is not "the common world".

The baggage-free words to use are pro- and anti- abortion. Not "life".

Quiddity

That's untrue. "Pro-life" is a stupidly tendentious term that annoys the hell out of even moderate Catholics. I mean, who is "anti-life"? Nobody in my experience ever uses "pro-life" unless they are grinding an anti-abortion axe. And that is not "the common world".

The baggage-free words to use are pro- and anti- abortion. Not "life".

You can go back 15 years on this very forum and see the evolution of the term. I certainly didn't assume that someone that was pro-choice was willing to throw babies into dumpsters or somehow stop caring about other issues of human life. For many many people I know and have experienced, it was strictly a political term.

It started to become more of an issue and that is most definitely true.