• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For the Tenth Year, “There Are No Gods” Sign Goes Up in IL Capitol Building

Skwim

Veteran Member
For the tenth straight year, the Freedom From Religion Foundation has put up the following sign in the Illinois State Capitol rotunda:

1ILStateCapitol2018.jpg

At this season of
THE WINTER SOLSTICE
may reason prevail.

There are no gods,
no devils, no angels,
no heaven or hell.
There is only our natural world.
Religion is but
myth and superstition
that hardens hearts
and enslaves minds.

huge-smile-smiley-emoticon.gif

dfnj

For the tenth straight year, the Freedom From Religion Foundation has put up the following sign in the Illinois State Capitol rotunda:
At this season of
THE WINTER SOLSTICE
may reason prevail.

There are no gods,
no devils, no angels,
no heaven or hell.
There is only our natural world.
Religion is but
myth and superstition
that hardens hearts
and enslaves minds.

I have no problem with the sign. It doesn't change my absolute faith in God one iota. I actually feel a little pity for them in that their own belief system is so weak that they feel compelled to express themselves this way. That being in a way that some people who have a weak faith in God might actually be offended. I would out of civility and my commitment to having a quality community would think putting up such a sigh is rude and impolite. I would certainly not do it because I would be concerned for the consideration of other people's feelings.

And just so you do not think I am a complete a hole hypocrite, I also think having the words "In God We Trust" on money and "*Under God" in the pledge of allegiance is rude to atheists and other non-believers. I think being kind and considerate of others is what God's love is all about.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I have no problem with the sign. It doesn't change my absolute faith in God one iota. I actually feel a little pity for them in that their own belief system is so weak that they feel compelled to express themselves this way. That being in a way that some people who have a weak faith in God might actually be offended.
Not quite sure what you mean by your last sentence, but in any case I don't believe the FFRF feel offended at all, just pissed that the government sees fit to donate public property for the advertisement of the Christian religion.

I would out of civility and my commitment to having a quality community would think putting up such a sigh is rude and impolite.
And I believe they wouldn't have the temerity to ask the government to violate the First Amendment.

I would certainly not do it because I would be concerned for the consideration of other people's feelings.
But you would have no problem advertising your religion at public expense.

The reason Freedom From Religion Foundation put up the sign they did was simply tit for tat. If the government is going to allow Christians to advertise their religion on public property, which sets the precedent for allowing all religious beliefs to get in on the act, then so be it. If Christians don't like others horning in on the territory with a message that doesn't coincide with theirs then tough titty. They can go elsewhere and erect their trees.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
The trees are Pagan, not Christian !
I think !
Symbols only have the meaning we give them. If it's a Christian symbol to anyone, then it's a Christian symbol. Sure they have pagan origins, but roughly half of any given religious tradition, especially the non core stuff, is borrowed and coopted from other religions. Cultural practices diffuse, kick and scream as we may.

GoodbyeDave

And supposing the Muslims asked to put up a notice there criticising Christianity, or the Jews, or the Buddhists, or the pagans? You'd hardly manage to get into the building! I don't celebrate Christmas, and I get a bit tired of all the carols on the radio, but I don't feel the urge to make a song and dance about it. To me this just typifies what repulsive people many atheists are — as much fundamentalists as any evangelical.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Ahhh... David,
One doesn't have to be against religions, to not be against the honor to `God`,
Jesus' teachings are enough for anyone's following, sans `God` or anyone.
An imaginary non-entity like `God` has no sons, `he` is invisible, like the angels.
Just a simple after-thought, like most of my thoughts !

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Ostensibly, it could be challenged under the First Amendment, as it clearly does not have a "secular purpose."