• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For The Record...

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
I am not anti-Christian, even though some of my posts might seem that way. I grew up as a Baptist and still try to follow Jesus' teachings on morality and compassion. I am dedicated to biblical accuracy when it comes to making a point based on the Bible.

However, I can't stand when someone repeats something that is traditional in belief, but is not biblical, yet they try and argue that what they are saying is in the Bible. I will ask them to quote the chapter/verse that supports what they are saying. What usually winds up happening is that they can't find the verse (because it does not exist) so they start trying to spin things in order to make it fit.

Some people just can't accept that what they have been taught is not biblical in any shape or form. When I challenge you, I am not attacking you or your faith, I am calling into question a particular belief and I want to know why you think that way. I like for people to think for themselves instead of just repeating what their pastor/denomination/organization has carefully prepared in advance.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
As an outsider telling other people what to do with their traditions, it's going to be challenging for many to see that as anything other than an attack. Many people do not appreciate backseat driver commentary or movie theater hecklers when they're trying to get along with the business of driving and enjoying the movie. If a Christian wants to hold to something because it's tradition for them, so what? If they wish to vest trust in some particular authority, so what? It's their business, so why do you feel the need to undermine what they're doing? :shrug:

First Baseman

Retired athlete
I am not anti-Christian, even though some of my posts might seem that way. I grew up as a Baptist and still try to follow Jesus' teachings on morality and compassion. I am dedicated to biblical accuracy when it comes to making a point based on the Bible.

However, I can't stand when someone repeats something that is traditional in belief, but is not biblical, yet they try and argue that what they are saying is in the Bible. I will ask them to quote the chapter/verse that supports what they are saying. What usually winds up happening is that they can't find the verse (because it does not exist) so they start trying to spin things in order to make it fit.

Some people just can't accept that what they have been taught is not biblical in any shape or form. When I challenge you, I am not attacking you or your faith, I am calling into question a particular belief and I want to know why you think that way. I like for people to think for themselves instead of just repeating what their pastor/denomination/organization has carefully prepared in advance.

Why don't you just inform them that what they are saying isn't in the Bible and then ask them why they believe it?

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
As an outsider telling other people what to do with their traditions, it's going to be challenging for many to see that as anything other than an attack. Many people do not appreciate backseat driver commentary or movie theater hecklers when they're trying to get along with the business of driving and enjoying the movie. If a Christian wants to hold to something because it's tradition for them, so what? If they wish to vest trust in some particular authority, so what? It's their business, so why do you feel the need to undermine what they're doing? :shrug:

Because it is part of my plot for world domination. :eek:

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
You sound like you are in need of an attitude adjustment.

facepalm.jpg

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
So you bought your minister license online, I assume, what school did you attend for your D.D. and Th.D. or was that just bought on the internet too??

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
So you bought your minister license online, I assume, what school did you attend for your D.D. and Th.D. or was that just bought on the internet too??

You assume wrong. My ordination was sponsored by the First Baptist church I grew up in, certified by my state via the county I live in. It is recognized on both the state and federal level. I did it not to be a preacher, but to be able to legally marry family/friends at their request.

My Th.D. came from Bethany Divinity College & Seminary. Because I started my program long before 2013, my coursework is not accredited, even though that college is now accredited through AAHEA. We had the option to move to the new curriculum, but I had already put in 5 years worth and opted out, choosing instead to maintain the old curriculum, as it were. With accreditation comes a higher tuition cost, and that is why many Bible colleges/seminaries choose not to become accredited...it is not cost effective for their small number of students. That and they are not subject to government oversight/regulation because of the 1st Amendment.

My D.D. was honorary on work that I did defining Christian Deism, including a 200 page dissertation on that subject. I have always stated that the D.D. was honorary, and even have it in my profile.

Interestingly enough, I do not go by Doctor, and even tell people not to call me that. I am not about titles or pedestals. Are there any other innuendos you'd like to make?

serp777

Yeah i find that mildly irritating. It's childish that these kinds of people can't listen to criticism or suggestions or alternative interpretations without considering it an attack. If they feel threatened whenever there's commentary about their religion, then their position is probably weak.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah i find that mildly irritating. It's childish that these kinds of people can't listen to criticism or suggestions or alternative interpretations without considering it an attack. If they feel threatened whenever there's commentary about their religion, then their position is probably weak.

While possibly true, that's also a rather judgmental attitude leading to some rather presumptuous and callous conclusions. Why do take that route? Why not leave others to their affairs, and mind one's own business?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Because it is part of my plot for world domination. :eek:

In fairness, there was a time I did stuff like you'er doing to Christianity too, but that was quite some time ago now. It was back when I had just discovered contemporary Paganisms existed, and was on that zone of needing to define myself based on what I wasn't. That meant looking at a lot of what other people were doing and tearing it to shreds or going on and on about how and why I didn't believe that. Such approaches only took me so far, and eventually I quit fussing so much about what other people were doing on their lawns and focused more on cultivating my own practices. I'd started to reply to one of your threads, but I just... I couldn't do it. I went "why am I bothering with this when my answer boils down to I am not Christian and none of this meaningfully applies to me?" LOL. I don't need to prop myself up by putting down what other people are doing anymore... I've got my path now. :D

This may not at all apply to your situation, I just felt I should better explain to you where I was coming from with this.

4consideration

Premium Member

I find this matter surfaces a lot here on RF, and this is just my opinion.

I find that often people create threads seemingly under the impression they are creating a "religious debate" since the thread is placed under the Religious Debate section, but when their premise focuses on what other people do even in regard to a particular belief or practise, that does not necessarily make it a religious debate simply because one's upset is about what people do in regards to religion. In those cases the main topic is still: what one doesn't like about what other people do.

Having grown up in a church (Catholic) that uses a different approach than some other churches, it was not the perspective that I held that all of life should be reconciled to passages within the book. Most often, if there was question about some traditional belief or practice, we addressed it from the point of our big picture understanding of right and wrong -- in present time.

The book was a basis for many teachings, but was not, in my experience supposed to be a reference point for every little belief or action. So...even though I am no longer Catholic, some of those perspectives remain...and I find it very arrogant at times to have a person present an argument that one ought to, should, must, take their particular perspective on a situation...apply that other person's chosen verse to the situation...in order for it to be "valid" because it agrees with that other person's interpretation of some scripture they choose to apply to the situation.

I think it's fine when people chose verses to apply to their own life.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
In fairness, there was a time I did stuff like you'er doing to Christianity too, but that was quite some time ago now. It was back when I had just discovered contemporary Paganisms existed, and was on that zone of needing to define myself based on what I wasn't. That meant looking at a lot of what other people were doing and tearing it to shreds or going on and on about how and why I didn't believe that. Such approaches only took me so far, and eventually I quit fussing so much about what other people were doing on their lawns and focused more on cultivating my own practices. I'd started to reply to one of your threads, but I just... I couldn't do it. I went "why am I bothering with this when my answer boils down to I am not Christian and none of this meaningfully applies to me?" LOL. I don't need to prop myself up by putting down what other people are doing anymore... I've got my path now. :D

This may not at all apply to your situation, I just felt I should better explain to you where I was coming from with this.

Oh I understand that perfectly, as I did the same thing years ago, albeit it was geared toward turning the world to Christianity. What I do on RF now, to be perfectly honest, is to kill time at work. As a CSI, I am 100% reactive to what happens in the city. There are days where we are jumping from scene to scene and then there are days where we sit in the office staring at the walls. Those office days are a perfect time to strike up a thread or two on RF and watch it develop. That and play Star Wars:Galaxy of Heroes on my phone! :cool:

I like to know what makes people tick. To that end, I will poke and prod and see who has the loudest voice. It is ALWAYS the same people.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
Oh I understand that perfectly, as I did the same thing years ago, albeit it was geared toward turning the world to Christianity. What I do on RF now, to be perfectly honest, is to kill time at work. As a CSI, I am 100% reactive to what happens in the city. There are days where we are jumping from scene to scene and then there are days where we sit in the office staring at the walls. Those office days are a perfect time to strike up a thread or two on RF and watch it develop. That and play Star Wars:Galaxy of Heroes on my phone! :cool:

I like to know what makes people tick. To that end, I will poke and prod and see who has the loudest voice. It is ALWAYS the same people.

Do you believe in God? Have you ever tried poking and prodding Him to see how loud His voice is?