• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For the life of me, I cannot ever fathom what goes through people's minds with this.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Michael Jackson dangling his kid out of the window.

The late Steve Irwin with his kid next to dangerous animals.

Here's the most recent one...

Indiana toddler, allegedly dangled by grandfather, dies after plunging 150 feet from cruise ship: report | Fox News

This time it didn't turn out very well.

What the hell do these people think with these stunts? What do they get out of it by putting a helpless loved one in danger?

I suspect many people assume tragedy will never strike them.

Like some who don't want the border controlled. It only take one MS13 gang member or terrorist to kill a loved one.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Many people don't think in terms of risks v benefits.
What is to be gained by dangling junior out the window?
What is the worst that can happen?
Is it worth it?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

Indiana toddler, allegedly dangled by grandfather, dies after plunging 150 feet from cruise ship: report | Fox News

What the hell do these people think with these stunts? What do they get out of it by putting a helpless loved one in danger?
Ha ha ha!
And there's some people who still believe that humans are designed by God in His image.
Tom

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Call me whatever names you want... in situations like this I'll feel sorry for the child and the parents but not the grandparent. It was stupid, thoughtless, reckless. Yet I'll bet he thought he was being funny. He's going to have to live with the results of his stupidity the rest of his life.

In the same way I see people driving with a dog in their laps or sitting in the front seat. If that airbag deploys --- oh wait, it can't happen to me --- that dog will die. I will not feel sorry for the owner. The dog, yes. Mine are harnessed and their leashes secured to the back seat.

This story is one reason why aliens won't talk to us. They ride past Earth and lock their doors.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This story is one reason why aliens won't talk to us. They ride past Earth and lock their doors.
But if they ever visit, you can bet that they'll have
the silverware & good china under lock & key.
And the flurkin will be wearing a chastity belt.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Another senseless tragedy caused by some bonehead.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
We tell stories of big scary monsters around the campfire. Aliens tell stories of the big demonic humans who are unfathomably cruel to their own so hope you have a cyanide pill (of whatever an ien would use)handy incase they capture you.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Apparently the earlier reports about the grandfather dangling the child out the window were incorrect.

Toddler's family says she died after falling from open window on cruise ship

The family was in a children's play area that was enclosed with clear glass paneling, Winkleman said. Chloe's grandfather placed her on a railing that he believed was behind glass to look outside, according to Winkleman.

Her family believes she fell while she was trying to bang on the glass the same way she does when she's at the ice rink watching her brother's hockey games.

"Essentially, her grandfather lifts her up and puts her on a railing and where he thinks that there is glass there because it's clear, but it turns out there was no glass there," Winkleman said. "She goes to bang on the glass like she would have at one of those hockey rinks, and the next thing you know, she's gone."

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Whatever happened to the good old days with grandpa just bouncing Sally on his knee?
How about the good old days when kids rode in their mothers' laps or unsecured in the back seat, or walked to school, or went out on the lake without life vests, or went on camping trips with the boy scouts, or took marksmanship classes at the YMCA?
Ideas of appropriate safety precautions change over time.

I'm sure my parents would be considered wildly inappropriate by today's norms. It's a wonder I survived.

Bob the Unbeliever

How about the good old days when kids rode in their mothers' laps or unsecured in the back seat, or walked to school, or went out on the lake without life vests, or went on camping trips with the boy scouts, or took marksmanship classes at the YMCA?

I'm sure my parents would be considered wildly inappropriate by today's norms. It's a wonder I survived.

Yes. We all survived those days of carelessness.

Alas-- every kid who did not survive? Is now dead, and cannot complain... that's kind of how it works, isn't it?

What's more? Those safety regulations that are so often complained about? Typically did not just spring up over night out of thin air.

Nobody sat down and thought, "We need to increase the bother of Living on Earth"

Nope. Safety Regulations pretty much always came from some poor victim dying... or worse--maimed for life.

There is a reason why bicycle helmets were invented: People got brain damage or died... a lot.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes. We all survived those days of carelessness.

Alas-- every kid who did not survive? Is now dead, and cannot complain... that's kind of how it works, isn't it?

What's more? Those safety regulations that are so often complained about? Typically did not just spring up over night out of thin air.

Nobody sat down and thought, "We need to increase the bother of Living on Earth"

Nope. Safety Regulations pretty much always came from some poor victim dying... or worse--maimed for life.
Life is dangerous, and, in hindsight, there's always some safety precaution that could have been taken after a death or injury. Where do we draw the line? Bubble wrap your kids? Keep them at home till they're 18? Keep them away from bikes or boats? Forbid swimming in lakes or pools? Supervise them when they bathe?

There is a reason why bicycle helmets were invented: People got brain damage or died... a lot.
Why let anyone ride such hazardous vehicles at all? Helmets? Bike injuries are more often road rash and broken limbs than head injuries. Shouldn't bike riders be required to wear leg and arm protection rather than helmets?
Head injuries are more typical of auto accidents. Shouldn't it be car occupants required to wear helmets?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Now you got me reminiscent about the good old days.