• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For the followers of the Abrahamic Faiths, do you believe in the same God?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't think that it makes logical sense to expect the god-conceptions of the Abrahamic faiths to conform to human expectations of validation.

After all, where would the authority for such validation come from?

Far as I can tell, adoption of god-concepts is unavoidably a matter of personal affinity and efforts at showing those to be "true" are, at best, naive. If any true deities exist, it is not for humans to speak on behalf of their existence.

On the Abrahamics at least, that would be akin to expecting ants to give sworn testimonial on who is the true owner of a kitchen - somehow it just doesn't feel like an useful exercise.

It is perhaps conceivable that the God of Moses is the same of the Bible, and/or of the Qur'an. Or perhaps they are not. Any or all of them could not exist. They may or may not change with time, and have single or multiple aspects.

They may even have otherwise irreconciliable attributes, such as both not existing and definitely existing, or being both unchanging and ever adaptable. They are, after all, presumably well beyond human understanding and literal makers of miracles. Does it make sense that a keyring may be one and multiple at the same time, but a deity somehow can not?

Why would they even consider conforming to human expectations for consistency? Why would humans even be capable of understanding such aspects of its nature in any meaningful way? I don't think we would, even hypothetically. Even assuming that we could, how could that be in any way useful?

We all are probably far better off embracing the highly personal nature of those concepts and taking full advantage of what constructive inspiration they might present us. And, of course, accepting the personal responsibility that comes with that, for we can make sincere mistakes, god or no god.

outlawState

Deism is dead
No way do Jews or Christians or Muslims worship the same God. In fact even within these groups, people do not worship the same God. Within Christianity not all acknowledge God as a trinity as the distinguishing mark of God.

One has to distinguish however between the objective impersonal attributes of God, i.e. the God as creator, who undoubtedly as "creator" is indeed one and the same creator-God for all, and the God who is worshipped, which in the way he is worshipped is remarkably different.

What is the criterion of "sameness" or "difference?" Jesus put it to the Jews that although they claimed to worship the God of Abraham, they actually worshipped Satan i.e. they were deluded about whom them worshipped.

Without being too offensive, I would assert the same but not only of the Jews but also of Islam. Why? Because they have rejected Christ as the son of God (not Christ as God the son, but Christ as the son of God). What is so important? He who denies the son is a liar. 1 John 2:22

It is axiomatic that Christians worship a Christ-centric God. A God whom is not represented by Christ is no God at all. A person who denies Christ as the son of God is a liar, whatever religion he professes (per Christianity).

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Allah or God is the Father of all Creation and humanity regardless.
The OP asked the question are they the same, the fact is they're not...
  • Islam doesn't mention the Divine Council, with Yeshua/YHVH as its chief Elohim (Arch Angel).
  • Aware Baha'i just copies the same mistakes that both Judaism, Christianity, and Islam makes.
  • Christianity thinks YHVH is the father of Yeshua, when Yeshua is the Right Arm or an Avatar of YHVH, with the Most High as his father.
  • Rabbinic Judaism is the same as Islam, where they've forgotten the Divine Council after the Babylonian Exile, and made YHVH the Most High.
  • You're right tho, the Most High and the descriptions of Allah are similar to Brahman, and YHVH is similar to Brahma.... Yet the Quran like Rabbinic Judaism, didn't know the differences.
In my opinion. :innocent:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
This is my personal belief and I believe my Jewish, Christian, and Muslim brothers and sisters may not agree with me but me being a Muslim, I believe that we do worship the same God and here are my reasons:

1) Jews believe that their God is the God of Moses and Muslims believe in the very same God of Moses.
2) Christians believe that Jesus is the son of God and also part of the Holy Trinity.
3) Muslims (as mentioned in the No. 1) believe in the God of Moses. However, it's mentioned in the Qur'an that not only Jesus is a Prophet but God denied the idea of Him having a son nor being part of the Holy Trinity.

So based on my points in the above, my logic is this:

For example, I'm one of your colleagues in an organisation. A group from Finance believe that I am happily married with kids. Another group Procurement believe that I'm currently dating with someone from the company and the last group from HR thinks I am just single.

Ultimately, these are just assumptions (beliefs) made by them but all of them are still referring to the same person i.e. me.

Similarly, in the context of the Abrahamic faiths at least, I think we do worship the same God. It's just that our attributes for Him are slightly different.

That's just me. What do you guys think?

Looking forward to your responses.

Shalom Aleichem, Assalamualaikum.

Very good post!

First, let me commend you on your attempt to show the universality of all three popular faiths. I too, share the same sentiment as you do and believe that Jews, Christians, and Muslims worship the same God (since there is only one to begin with). Second, I think the differences between all three are the result of some minor/major theological difference from text. With the exception of Judaism, Islamic theology in relation to Christianity do have some big differences, but I think those differences resides in the main Christian faiths such as Catholicism and all sects of Trinitarian Christianity. Let us not forget from a historical point of view concerning Christianity I must remind people that Jesus was not historically a Christian, but a Jew. They say Jesus was an Essenes historically considered "Second Temple Judaism" but @Tumah knows better than me on the history of this matter. But more importantly I think looking at the teachings Jesus was an unorthodox Rabbi when it came to theological matters from within Judaism, but nonetheless, Jesus taught the Sh'ma to his followers which are roughly daily prayers but nonetheless encapsulates the monotheism that resides within Judaism. With that being said I would say prior to Paul's interpretation of Jesus' message there is a commonality I would say that is shared between all three faiths.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
If the god's attributes are all different, then the god is not the same. If we were both talking about a bird and you described it as black, small and making a screeching sound, and I described it as large, fluffy, brown and making a sweeter sound, it is clear that, while we both may be describing a bird, we are not describing the same bird, since one is a crow and the other an owl.

Or perhaps in describing the bird one of you suffered from color blindness therefore you visual acuity in describing said bird maybe off, but if said bird has the foundation of being a winged creature that can take off from ground, fly, soar, glide, etc you maybe describing the same thing just in a different manner. =)

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
If any true deities exist, it is not for humans to speak on behalf of their existence.

But that is the central aspect of "revelation" is that this deity that being God is allowing human beings to speak on behalf of its existence. This is called divine providence.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The OP asked the question are they the same, the fact is they're not...
  • Islam doesn't mention the Divine Council, with Yeshua/YHVH as its chief Elohim (Arch Angel).
An interesting problem here with several aspects. Islam acknowledges the Pentateuch as scripture, therefore acknowledges the above. The Baha'i Faith acknowledges this as scripture, but with reservations as to the interpretation from the perspective of the beliefs at the time.

The other problem from my perspective is this reference is straight out of more ancient pagan Babylonian and Canaanite tablets referring to a council of Gods. Much of the Pentateuch and the parts and style of the Book of Psalms and be traced back to Canaanite and Babylonian cuneiform scripture.

• Aware Baha'i just copies the same mistakes that both Judaism, Christianity, and Islam makes.
Be more specific as what mistakes you are referring to???

• Christianity thinks YHVH is the father of Yeshua, when Yeshua is the Right Arm or an Avatar of YHVH, with the Most High as his father.
  • Rabbinic Judaism is the same as Islam, where they've forgotten the Divine Council after the Babylonian Exile, and made YHVH the Most High.
It is obvious by the evidence that over the millennia beginning with the Canaanite/Babylonian tablets that there are different interpretations. Nothing new here.

My view is your misrepresenting what is sameness, and I believe that the reference posted that cited 15 similarities is valid in an evolving Revelation over time.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Be more specific as what mistakes you are referring to???
Baha'i thinks YHVH Elohim is the same as the God Most High (El Elyon), when the Hebrew text defines it as a separate understanding.
Much of the Pentateuch and the parts and style of the Book of Psalms and be traced back to Canaanite and Babylonian cuneiform scripture.
Sorry for me that is a terrible way to do exegesis, as we're not reading what a text stipulated; it is like saying here are two totally different religions, and we can make these bits fit as they seem the same.

Canaanites and later Babylonian religion had each demigod as a unique being...

In the Hebrew text the Divine council is a manifestation from the ultimate Source El Elyon, and under the control of YHVH Elohim (Arch Angel).
My view is your misrepresenting what is sameness
You've brought this up as a debate multiple times, and i can show with evidence from the Tanakh where the evidence is contrary; thus if you'd like to debate it, we should start a separate thread.

Flankerl

Based on more than fifty years of study of the scriptures of Judaism and Christianity I have found no evidence of any first author unedited versions of the text as we know it today in the various versions and translations,

That is quite the elaborate way to say "Yes".

Cooky

Veteran Member
What you are describing is a personal journey and not that described specifically as the doctrine and dogma of the Roman Church I was raised and taught in the Catechism, and my journey is over fifty years of sincere search and study . This is that there is 'No Salvation Outside What is defined as the Roman Church.' (Extra ecclesiam nulla salus). Based on the belief in Universal Salvation in the Roman Church no one is condemned regardless of what they believe because Salvation is possible 'up until the moment of death.' Knowledge of the 'One True Church,' and the 'Salvation through Jesus Christ only' lies at the heart of the beliefs of the Roman Church, and the Catechism is uncompromising specific on this. The Roman Church puts a lot of emphasis on sincerity of belief and following the Catechism in the church, and sincerity outside the church for those with no knowledge of the church.

It is acknowledged in the Roman Church that the sincere with no knowledge of the 'One True Church' and Jesus Christ, and those below the age of consent may be saved by the Grace of God based on the concept of the potential of Universal Salvation..

Regardless, of what 'no salvation oitside the Church' actually means, and to what extent a Baptism of Desire can be granted by God, the Church does officially teach that Muslims, Jews and christians worship the same God.

Catechism of the Catholic Church:

841 The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."330

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
This is my personal belief and I believe my Jewish, Christian, and Muslim brothers and sisters may not agree with me but me being a Muslim, I believe that we do worship the same God and here are my reasons:

1) Jews believe that their God is the God of Moses and Muslims believe in the very same God of Moses.
2) Christians believe that Jesus is the son of God and also part of the Holy Trinity.
3) Muslims (as mentioned in the No. 1) believe in the God of Moses. However, it's mentioned in the Qur'an that not only Jesus is a Prophet but God denied the idea of Him having a son nor being part of the Holy Trinity.

For example, I'm one of your colleagues in an organisation. A group from Finance believe that I am happily married with kids. Another group Procurement believe that I'm currently dating with someone from the company and the last group from HR thinks I am just single.

Ultimately, these are just assumptions (beliefs) made by them but all of them are still referring to the same person i.e. me.

Similarly, in the context of the Abrahamic faiths at least, I think we do worship the same God. It's just that our attributes for Him are slightly different.

First of all I am very happy to see how tolerant you seem to be.

I myself belief in:
There is only one religion, the religion of Love;
There is only one language, the language of the Heart;
There is only one caste, the caste of Humanity;
There is only one law, the law of Karma;
There is only one God, He is Omnipresent.

Namastee

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

Lol...cool metaphor....and very nice point.

I do believe religions are cultural products...all that matters is your intimate relationship with God.

whirlingmerc

Not that simple... if you mean abstractly 'the God of Abraham whoever that is' and despite our understanding then yes

If you mean do their beliefs line up? Not necessarily.
If you examine aspects of different views of God for the various groups, the understanding is different.
- in one case, God has no son and does not adopt also does not love sinners and is only good because he choses at the moment
- In one case, God is by tradition an indivisible solitary unity by tradition but arguable could be triune by scripture, so tradition may point one way scripture another
- In another case, knowing God is eternal life but you only know Him if He draws you and breaths life into your heart and nominal believers may be in name only but not saved

so.... depends what you mean

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Regardless, of what 'no salvation oitside the Church' actually means, and to what extent a Baptism of Desire can be granted by God, the Church does officially teach that Muslims, Jews and christians worship the same God.

Catechism of the Catholic Church:

841 The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."330

This does not address the accurate points of my post, which you are avoiding. Acknowledging they worship the same God is a very minor issue here considering the actual doctrine and dogma of the church concerning those who know of the church and do not believe. I acknowledged that this what you may personally believe, but it hard to debate this because people as individuals can claim to believe anything under the sun. I am being specific as to the beliefs of the Roman Church, which you apparently believe in,

As far as the beliefs of the Roman Church goes the following is severely problematic:

Yes, we all do worship the same God.

...But it doesn't matter. We're in this world to live amongst all people as a human family, and to treat the non-believer as our brother, because he is.

This is more like the humanist Unitarian Universalist beliefs.

nPeace

Veteran Member

While reading this post, I was thinking... Suppose you, a friend of yours, and someone else, all from different areas, were looking for work. You were all told of a Mr Goddard:D, that owned a factory, and was hiring.
So excitedly all three of you got directions on where Mr. Goddard's factory was, and in time you all started working.
At the end of the day, you went to the office to get your wages.
The clerk, to your amazement, says to you, "What did you say your name was again? I don't see that name here."
After trying to explain yourself - long story short, you realize that the directions you got were correct (or maybe they weren't), but you [took a wrong turn, and] ended up at another factory - not Mr. Goddard's.

It is true that you, and perhaps the other two individuals, who could have found themselves in a similar situation, really wanted to work, got directions, but got the directions wrong (or were misled), and ended up working for someone other than Mr. Goddard - even though you felt you were at the right place, and working for Mr. Goddard.

This scenario seems fitting for what has taken place in relation to religion. One can feel that they are on the right path, and worshiping the true God, but really not be accomplishing anything.
Jesus himself said as much.
Matthew 15:9
Their worship of me is pointless, because their teachings are rules made by humans.
Mathew 7:
22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, didn't we prophesy in your name? Didn't we force out demons and do many miracles by the power and authority of your name?’
23 Then I will tell them publicly, ‘I've never known you. Get away from me, you evil people.’

The scenario can have a good ending though.
If any of these men find themselves in such a situation, once they are aware of their mistake, because they want work, they simply search for Mr. Goddard's factory, making sure they get the directions right, and they are indeed working for the Mr Goddard.
Then at the end of the day, they will receive their wages.

According to scripture, the God of Abraham says through his son:
"...Indeed, the time is coming, and it is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth. The Father is looking for people like that to worship him. God is a spirit. Those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth." (John 4:23, 24)

Shalom

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Baha'i thinks YHVH Elohim is the same as the God Most High (El Elyon), when the Hebrew text defines it as a separate understanding.

Sorry for me that is a terrible way to do exegesis, as we're not reading what a text stipulated; it is like saying here are two totally different religions, and we can make these bits fit as they seem the same.

Canaanites and later Babylonian religion had each demigod as a unique being...

In the Hebrew text the Divine council is a manifestation from the ultimate Source El Elyon, and under the control of YHVH Elohim (Arch Angel).

You've brought this up as a debate multiple times, and i can show with evidence from the Tanakh where the evidence is contrary; thus if you'd like to debate it, we should start a separate thread.

I am glad you ended this with 'In my opinion.'

The bottom line is your assuming that one interpretation, your opinion, of these ancient texts of questionable provenance is the only interpretation and everybody else is wrong. This problematic to say the least since the origins of much of these texts is Canaanite/Ugarit/Babylonian pagan cuneiform texts with numerous interpretations over the millennia.

No you cannot show evidence from the Tanakh, because you are not presenting evidence, but an interpretation of the text.

Cooky

Veteran Member
This is more like the humanist Unitarian Universalist beliefs.

If you read books like The Fulfillment of All Desire, you'll come to understand that this is in line with the kind of thinking of the Saints.

Screenshot_20180606-163356.png