1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For the dismally ignorant

Discussion in 'The Living World' started by Mock Turtle, Jan 20, 2023.

1. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +21,749
    Religion:
    scientifically-oriented Catholic
    Most radioactive dating techniques use an establish half-life measurement, but with C-14 the problem is that the level of radioactively varies from year to year. Thus, what's done is to use tree rings and date them by measuring the degree of radioactivity each year. Therefore, it very much has limitations but are still useful for more recent evolutionary activity.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Kenny

Kenny Face to face with my Father
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,532
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    you caused me to search...
    New radiocarbon cycle research may alter history | Cornell Chronicle

It really makes one begin to think that as science correct itself, other carbon dating positions (those dated by carbon-14) need to be readjusted.

Which throws me back to what I was saying... What was "normal" 1 million years ago? Do we really know?

3. metis

Ratings:
    +21,749
    Religion:
    C-14 is an anomaly because of local conditions and that of the sun that may vary, but this is not a problem with most other forms of radioactive dating. If physicists didn't know how this process works, then how could they build nuclear reactors and bombs? :shrug:

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Kenny

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,532
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    I speak with utter lack of comprehension in this area.

5. metis

Ratings:
    +21,749
    Religion:
    I'm not that good at it but we had to be taught how the general process works since I was going into physical anthropology [human evolution].

6. Heyo

Heyo Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,003
    Religion:
    none
    That would be after the formation of the Earth and before first life (4.5 to 3.8 billion years ago in real time). Evolution happen after that and human evolution at the tail end.
    For evolution in general to have happened and human evolution not, the event would have to have been between 300,000 and 5,000(?) years ago.

7. Kenny

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,532
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    Obviously I don't have a crystal ball that states exactly when and what happened. As noted, even today's carbon dating is being fine tuned and adjusted as science continues to correct itself. Even dating many times has tens of thousands of years variation.

Modern man is probably 7 to 12 thousand years old - that is when I would venture that God made man in His image and in His likeness.

8. Heyo

Heyo Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,003
    Religion:
    none
    That's a useful range I can work with. Humans had settled on all continents except Antarctica. H. Neanderthalensis and our other cousins went already extinct.
    And then, according to you, h. sapiens also went extinct, all over the world, in an unnamed cataclysmic event. (Caused by god?)
    Then "modern humans" were created by god, distributed all over the world with the same characteristics, down to ERVs in their DNA, as h. sapience which went extinct.

Do I get that right?

Or was it more an "invasion of the body snatchers" scenario? H. sapience wasn't replaced but their bodies used by some unnamed alien force?

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +43,385
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Many rocks are dated by more than one method as a check. Since they run on different clocks it is very hard to posit that "rates were different in the past". And then we have beds like the Green River Formation with annual layers. There are also occasion layers of volcanic ash in that formation. That allows a check of the dating method by counting, or more probably estimating the numbers of layers between events. FYI the Green River Formation has six million years of continuous annual deposition.

Green River Formation - Wikipedia

It would make more sense to regularly check the average thickness of the varves and estimate the number per unit length and then calculate a total depending o those averages. So here we have annual layers and radiometric dates that can be used to cross check each other.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. Mock Turtle

Mock Turtle Choose an appropriate meaning.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,886
    Religion:
    Agnostic and with strong irreligious convictions.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. metis

Ratings:
    +21,749
    Religion:
    The overwhelming evidence, including the fossil record and dna comparisons, indicates a likely splitting from the rest of the primate line somewhere around 6 million years ago, which is slightly before my time. There is 0 scientific evidence that it occurred 7-12 thousand years ago.

BTW, why would God supposedly have to wait to make man in His image only thousands of years ago, and by "image", I'm not referring to physical image?

Again, I feel that "ongoing revelation" is possibly the "key" here.

12. Kenny

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,532
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    I am purely speaking on opinion here since the Bible is silent on the matter. Ultimately I will find out all the details when I speak to those in the know in Heaven.

13. metis

Ratings:
    +21,749
    Religion:
    Oh, so you think you're going there, do ya! :p

14. Kenny

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,532
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    ROFL - I'll visit you if I am not! :D

15. Mock Turtle

Mock Turtle Choose an appropriate meaning.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,886
    Religion:
    Agnostic and with strong irreligious convictions.
    It's OK, Kenny, I'll give up my place for you - given I probably couldn't stand being there with so many I'd like to give a good kicking to. :oops:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. metis

Ratings:
    +21,749
    Religion:
    Na, I think we both should invest in asbestos underwear. :emojconfused:

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1