1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For polytheistic folk: pop culture deities

Discussion in 'Same Faith Debates' started by RayofLight, Apr 13, 2021.

1. RayofLight

RayofLight They/Them

Ratings:
    +2,463
    Religion:
    Dark Pagan Witch looking into Left Handed paths
    This is in the same faith debates... If you aren't polytheistic get out! Go on get!
    I read this article and found out that some people will work with beings from pop culture.
    Spirit work: Pop culture spirits, and deities
    Thoughts? I am curious to the different opinions as I just found it interesting and wish to learn more. However my knee jerk thoughts were this is not a legitimate practice. How could fictional characters be worshipped and worked with? Perhaps I am wrong tho and just dont understand it. I did hear some theories involving chaos magick can apply here but I dont know enough about chaos magick to know.

Edited to just include polytheistic folk

#1 RayofLight, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. RayofLight

RayofLight They/Them

Ratings:
    +2,463
    Religion:
    @The Hammer @Wild Fox
    I know y'all both polytheistic if y'all want to weigh in y'all don't have to...at first I was trying to include 3 different groups but have decided on just polytheistic folk.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer White Wolf - kvite ulfh
    Premium Member It's My Birthday!

Ratings:
    +5,035
    Religion:
    Druidry
    I'll weigh in later. Made a note to come back to this topic :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. RayofLight

RayofLight They/Them

Ratings:
    +2,463
    Religion:
    Is there other polytheists I should call out? I know @Quintessence and @beenherebeforeagain are both pagans not sure if they are polytheistic or pantheistic or something else.

#4 RayofLight, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  5. Orbit

Orbit I'm a planet

Ratings:
    +1,937
    Religion:
    Dinner
    I'm not a polytheist, but wanted to say that I know a polytheist who has Freddie Mercury (deceased, of the rock band Queen) as his spirit entity. Can't say as I understand it, but there it is.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. The Hammer

Ratings:
    +5,035
    Religion:
    Druidry
    So at first glance this almost sounds like the creation of a Tulpa out of a Pop Icon.
    Tulpa - Wikipedia.

Now, I have never done this myself, but have given thought to the worship of certain fictional deities, but have never gone so far as to put anything into practice.

What I have done is use the various ways NPCs approach and interact with the Divine in the Elder Scrolls Series (3-5), as a basis for how I talk about and approach the Gods, Ancestors, and Spirits in real life. This isn't an external extension of a fictional world practice inasmuch as it is real practice colored by video game writing. There are not a lot of hard polytheistic cultures for one to model a practice off of, sometimes it is necessary to reach for the familiar.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wild Fox

Wild Fox Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,443
    Religion:
    nature
    Interesting reference. I was not aware of this.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Wild Fox

Ratings:
    +2,443
    Religion:
    nature
    Thank you for asking although I am still learning, literally all of my life still learning.

I would certainly ask yourself does this entity from pop culture have significant meaning to me to become a focus of my path/religion. Even though we cannot define religion well, there are some things I think are important that religions do that are important for us. I would ask yourself if a deity from a pop culture can provide some of these aspects of religion. There is no correct or incorrect answer.

1. Social connections and social bonds - Rituals, symbols, activities and in some religions beliefs create social bonds of feeling of consecutiveness. Important social events such as marriage, childbirth, honoring those who have died.

2. Relationship to our world - Religion helps us see our connection with our world or in some with an otherworld or in some a heaven. Some religions create a negative connection with this world.

3. Death - of all of the events of life it is death which is the most difficult contemplate. Religion can help with dealing with the idea of death whether there is an afterlife, reincarnation or nothing.

I left Christianity and became pagan because I felt finally connected with this world as a pagan and never as a Christian. I finally found a comfort in death knowing I am connected to this world (ironically more than anticipating some heaven). I also found meaning in the rituals and symbolic understanding of our world that I have found. But that is me. Not sure if this helps at all but thank you for asking me.

@The Hammer is a great resource as well as Quintessence and Beenherebeforeagain. I have learned much from them. I am sure we will learn from you.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. The Hammer

Ratings:
    +5,035
    Religion:
    Druidry
    I appreciate the recognition, thanks friend.

10. Wild Fox

Ratings:
    +2,443
    Religion:
    nature
    It is wonderful to find a kindred spirit in this world.

• Winner Winner x 1