• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Our Children's Children

Bear Wild

I heard an illustration today, that I think if quite fitting.
If one needs root canal treatment, would it be wise to look in the mirror, and give oneself?
Would it be wise to call up a friend, and ask them to do it for oneself - that friend having no training at all in dentistry?
That the reality of the situation, is it?
If however, one looks to a qualified dentist, one can be confident that they can get proper root canal treatment.

I remember when I was growing up, I was taught cleanliness - 'don't litter', 'Cleanliness is next to godliness I was told. So we looked for a garbage bin, to dispose our waste-paper etc..
Today, what do we see? How many of us have seen people throw bags of garbage from moving vehicles?
Yeah. All the hand go up on this.

I would not encourage anyone to try this though.

Now ask yourself, why?
How many people are growing up, on godly principles?
When we honestly evaluate the situation, is that not the root cause of mankind's failures? A failure to respect and follow Bible principles - or live by God's laws.

How many people care? Even if there are those few that care, are they capable of giving themselves root canal treatment? Are those whom they look to - world leaders, capable of performing that treatment - solve mankind's problems?
Does it appear that the world leaders are concerned?

I think we need to look to the one who is qualified to treat this problem.
Far from looking toward him though, the world denies the creator. :(
Will the world ever take notice? Revelation 11:18
Yes. The will have no choice in the mater... apparently.

Yes we do have a choice. If we are making the mess we need to fix it. We need to take responsibility for our actions. Our food, our shelter, our water and our air should be seen as a gift from the natural world or at least treated as one. Why should any god or goddess clean up our mess?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. but the alternative leads to the demise of our planet and us.
Oh no! The planet will survive, and in time, prosper; irrespective of whether we survive or not. The passage of dinosaurs did not affect it. ;)
A failure to respect and follow Bible principles - or live by God's laws.

Will the world ever take notice? Revelation 11:18
Revelation 11.18: ".. and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth."
If the rewards are going to "his servants the prophets and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.", and if God should destroy the others, why should others care? It is really God's mistake if he created an imperfect world. He is a lousy engineer.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
For Our Children’s Children

I was recently walking through a wildlife sanctuary and stopped to watch some birds when I was surprised by a squirrel who came right up to me and starred at me for a short while before moving to a safer distance. I had a sudden sad thought – what if my children or theirs would no longer be able to enjoy such a simple pleasure as seeing wildlife in their home? Could a single species ever be so selfish and so arrogant to not leave room for others? Could a few generations of that species be so self-seeking or so short sided as they are consuming and destroying the world they live in that the leave little to nothing for their own children and for their children’s children.

What we humans are doing to the Earth is the most important moral issue of our age. Are we so short sighted in attending to our own needs that we cannot see the world we will leave to those that follow? Are we so foolish to think that the other life we share on this planet are not important enough to protect? We admire our own technology and our intelligence, but are we smart enough to see what we are doing for the future of our children and to the life around us?
I'm not really an environmentalist or conservationist, but I do agree that we need to be more responsible and engage in activities that replenish more than take.

But given human nature as it is, it's up to others to lead by example and not antagonize those who do not.

I think passive campaigns do better and I noticed in some areas it's actually taken hold. Hopefully it'll spread enough where it's a willing endeavor for the majority of people.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Yes we do have a choice. If we are making the mess we need to fix it. We need to take responsibility for our actions. Our food, our shelter, our water and our air should be seen as a gift from the natural world or at least treated as one. Why should any god or goddess clean up our mess?
The question we should first ask then, is, why are we making the mess?
If the reason I gave is not correct, perhaps you have another answer that is correct... because I think the best way to go about dealing with any problem is from the root - the why.
If we can get pass the why then we get to how, the next question we will find ourselves asking is... Really? :D

With the mentality of the vast majority of mankind, in the twentieth century though, I don't see how they will get past why.
Apparently, the choice we do have is to submit to God's will ...or not. Aside from that, there is no choice.
We only have to take a look at the world's political system, and we will see that we are in the prophecy of Daniel 2... right at the toes of the image.

Is it ever possible to get iron and clay to mesh? What a powerful representation of the world's political element. Who else could make such an accurate picture, but God, our creator?
Next, will be Daniel 2:44, 45

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
but are we smart enough to see what we are doing for the future
all of life is interactive

that squirrel you mentioned......is busy about planting seeds
he doesn't know it....he is thinking about himself and what he needs

the difference between him and us

we have the ability to destroy all that surrounds us......as we think about ourselves

nPeace

Veteran Member
Oh no! The planet will survive, and in time, prosper; irrespective of whether we survive or not. The passage of dinosaurs did not affect it. ;)
Revelation 11.18: ".. and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth."
If the rewards are going to "his servants the prophets and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.", and if God should destroy the others, why should others care? It is really God's mistake if he created an imperfect world. He is a lousy engineer.
Hence the problem. The ones that don't care, don't care that they are mistaken in their claims that God made the mess. God didn't make the mess, that's why he will remove the mess, and those who don't care.
He won't care when those are gone either, because those who care will get to enjoy it, without extinction. Psalms 2
However, there is time available to start caring.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
God didn't make the mess, that's why he will remove the mess, ..
The Abrahamic God always creates a mess. He did it at the time of Noah and the flood and accepted his mistake. I won't take his word that at any other time he is going to remove any mess. He sent his son and that resulted in many a may-hem in the world. He is a total failure. These are his own words:

"5 Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intented of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
6 And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart.
7 So the Lord said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.”

nPeace

Veteran Member
The Abrahamic God always creates a mess. He did it at the time of Noah and the flood and accepted his mistake. I won't take his word that at any other time he is going to remove any mess. He sent his son and that resulted in many a may-hem in the world. He is a total failure. These are his own words:

"5 Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intented of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
6 And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart.
7 So the Lord said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.”
So with that thought in mind, why did he not kill Noah and family, and all the beast, and why send his son to die for them, knowing that they were all sinners - prone to doing wrong?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Why was he pleased with Abel's sacrifice and not with that of Cain? He is whimsical and has no standards, very Trumpesque. Why does he blinds some people to his glory and hardens their heart?

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
Why was he pleased with Abel's sacrifice and not with that of Cain? He is whimsy and has no standards, very Trumpsy.. Why does he blinds some people to his glory and hardens their heart?
I take it then that to answer my question, would lead to the realization that we can easily have a mistaken view about the whats, and whys of scripture. So these two questions are no different.
However, I like to answer the last of the two, since the answer relates to what I was saying about those who don't care, and why God won't care when they are gone. I'll answer the first also. This was part of a study at a meeting I had this morning.

Cain's heart was what made his sacrifice unacceptable, and God, who saw his heart, informed him of this.
Genesis 4:6, 7 Cain refused to listen, and did what he wanted.

Pharaoh was stubborn on his own accord. God did not make him stubborn. God simply refused to grant him any release from his miserable pride.

God is fair. He gives us more chances than we deserve, but he also takes note of our heart condition - our motives, and he doesn't welcome, those with the wrong motives.

I don't know you personally, but I would like to think that, like me, you don't welcome deceit. If you detect that someone is being deceitful and lying, would you not test their motives to be sure, and once you affirmed it, would you desire the company of such a person? Not I.

This is the same with God, and Christ. They don't want our company, if we are not true at heart.
I like how Jesus dealt with those he knew did not have sincere motive.
John 6 - what a great way he rooted out the insincere.
He could have made it as detailed as possible, but he deliberately used that technique to expose their motive, and he nor his father has changed. That's why many are coming to wrong conclusions about texts they read in the Bible. Their heart is being examined. What did Jesus say in verse 44 of John 6?
They are not welcomed.

Do they care enough? That's up to each one of us - while the feet of iron and clay remains...

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Be happy with your fairy tales and miracle stories. God has blinded me to his glory and hardened my heart. Can't help it. ;)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There are many comments I could make on this issue, but the mood just isn't striking me. Instead I'll simply remark that anyone who isn't deeply concerned about human overpopulation, climate change, and the sixth mass extinction has not been paying attention. Even if you lack an ecocentric ethical framework, there are anthropocentric reasons to be concerned as well. It's a large, global scale issue that requires global mobilization to address. If this is not done willingly, it will be forced.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Que Sera, Sera.

"Trump administration has sought to increase fossil fuel use and scrap environmental regulations which he has often referred to as an impediment to business. While campaigning Trump had proposed the elimination of the EPA and following his election he proposed a 31% cut to the 2018 EPA budget. Neither Trump nor his first Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Andrew Wheeler believe carbon dioxide is a primary contributor to global warming."
Environmental policy of the Donald Trump administration - Wikipedia

images

Last edited:

Bear Wild

Que Sera, Sera.

"Trump administration has sought to increase fossil fuel use and scrap environmental regulations which he has often referred to as an impediment to business. While campaigning Trump had proposed the elimination of the EPA and following his election he proposed a 31% cut to the 2018 EPA budget. Neither Trump nor his first Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Andrew Wheeler believe carbon dioxide is a primary contributor to global warming."
Environmental policy of the Donald Trump administration - Wikipedia

images

Trump is ignorant, egotistical and selfish with no concern for what will happen to the people of the United States nor the rest of the world. His election to the presidency was a result of the two parties that claim to represent the people not listening to the people placing their self interests above the nation they represented. Now the US is lead by someone with no compassion or integrity. It is a sad statement for the US but it cannot stop what we need to do to protect the world we live in. We need to be active in organizations that promote a better world for both the human and non-human life. This world needs all of our action more than ever.

Bear Wild

The question we should first ask then, is, why are we making the mess?
If the reason I gave is not correct, perhaps you have another answer that is correct... because I think the best way to go about dealing with any problem is from the root - the why.
If we can get pass the why then we get to how, the next question we will find ourselves asking is... Really? :D

With the mentality of the vast majority of mankind, in the twentieth century though, I don't see how they will get past why.
Apparently, the choice we do have is to submit to God's will ...or not. Aside from that, there is no choice.
We only have to take a look at the world's political system, and we will see that we are in the prophecy of Daniel 2... right at the toes of the image.

Is it ever possible to get iron and clay to mesh? What a powerful representation of the world's political element. Who else could make such an accurate picture, but God, our creator?
Next, will be Daniel 2:44, 45
We created the mess were in for many reason without looking at the consequences for our actions. We have been shown what are actions are doing to our world so now it is time we recognize what we have done and change our behavior as we accept we must all take responsibility. Our current problem was created by humans now humans need to correct the problem. We have been taught to wrong type of economy for this world of constant consumption. Now we must learn of a reciprocity economy and return back to what we have taken. This is not about God's will but about the moral choice of doing the right think so we and other life can have a good future.

Bear Wild

I don't think I'll ever be able to see this phrase without thinking of Fern Gully. Amazing movie -- even though it was for kids, it really hit the point.
Excellent animation. The choice of words were to remind us all that our actions do not just affect us but those to come. What kind of world to we leave to our children and theirs. If we care for them and their future we must act now and make the sacrifices that give them a world to live in. It will require the support from all religious beliefs but not just isolated groups or measures from each religion but the word spread throughout. The children should inherit a world fit to live in. The alternative if we do not change is unthinkable. Once we outstrip what our earth can support the suffering will be unimaginable and it is the children are the ones that seem to suffer the most. We cannot live without the rest of the natural world and its time for the human race to accept it and stop the consumption of the earth.

Bear Wild

The new studies of climate warming predict that in only 12 years the rate of global warming make become out of control. For most of us it within our lifetime, but worse gives a little future for the children of our world not to mention other life of this planet. What will happen if we do not all act now in any way we can will be to allow for unimaginable suffering for those who did not even create the problem that they will inherit. If any religion that has morals which teach that love and compassion over materialistic gain and that sacrifices should be made to help stop the suffering that is occurring now and to come, then it is time to take action. It is time for all to speak out and look at what we each can do to protect the future of live on our most beautiful planet and leave a world fit to live in.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
The new studies of climate warming predict that in only 12 years the rate of global warming make become out of control. For most of us it within our lifetime, but worse gives a little future for the children of our world not to mention other life of this planet. What will happen if we do not all act now in any way we can will be to allow for unimaginable suffering for those who did not even create the problem that they will inherit. If any religion that has morals which teach that love and compassion over materialistic gain and that sacrifices should be made to help stop the suffering that is occurring now and to come, then it is time to take action. It is time for all to speak out and look at what we each can do to protect the future of live on our most beautiful planet and leave a world fit to live in.
I think I read somewhere that it's already too late to fix. Which is too horrible to think about. We just twiddled our thumbs and had leaders that hid their heads in the sand. Now we'll pay.

I'm hoping beyond hope in the expression "Necessity is the mother of invention." You never know what we might be able to add to the atmosphere to clean it or to reflect the sun's rays. Genius functions best under pressure, oddly.