• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Non-Christians Only: If You Were Christian, What Kind of Christian Would You Be?

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
As someone who has never once considered himself a Christian, I obsess about this question a lot.

The thread title is all you need to answer the question for yourself, and with this introductory post I am going to elaborate on this for myself.

So, the main groups I am interested in include: Messianic Judaism/Jewish Christianity, Mennonites, Evangelical Lutheranism and Mormonism. I will list each in its own paragraph explaining why I'm interested in them.

Messianic Judaism/Jewish Christianity: Possibly the most legitimate version of Christianity out there, that teaches to respect both the new and the old, and if you can quote scripture Jesus literally says that following the Torah is essentially following him, that he is the Law. And I don't really subscribe to replacement theory, where the New supersedes the old in any way. If you only believe in the Gospels why is there a Old Testament? Jesus was Jewish. End of story.

Mennonites: I consider myself a pacifist. Mennonites are both against abortion and the death penalty. I would have a hard time believing that any other group in America is also against both at the same time.

Evangelical Lutheranism: Okay, so I took a religious quiz and got 100% Evangelical Lutheran. I would say half of the responses were "only if I were a Christian" where the other half was truly me. The reason why I think I would make a good Evangelical Lutheran is they both promote the inerrancy of the scripture and at the same time are mainline and for things like gay marriage and women pastors. And I agree!

Mormonism: Mormons believe in many Gods, that you can become a God, and all of that, and to that remark I say Mormonism is very close to the Earthseed and Syntheist argument of, "God is change."

I have thought about this so hard I am surprised I haven't already called myself a Christian. The last service I went to was an Evangelical Lutheran service, and it would be very easy for me just to walk there and (eventually) get baptized. This syntheist pantheistic trinity I hold: The Omniverse, Entropy and Extropy can easily be translated into The Holy Spirit, The Father and The Son. Honestly, when I answered the questions as if were a Christian I didn't feel as if I was really lying either.

I am not saying I am Christian. Gnostic syntheism runs strong in my veins. I feel as one who is this faith I can know and understand God better than any Christian ever could. Maybe it is because I focus a lot of it on The Omniverse or Holy Spirit. I don't know.

What I do know however is, if one day I decided to convert, I would get baptized at the Evangelical Lutheran church minutes away from my house. If I decide to attend church on Sunday, that's great, but that church has video recordings of services on YouTube. Whenever I would feel like my faith isn't strong enough I would study the Old Testament on Saturdays to understand the Torah and prophets thereafter. And honestly I could see myself possibly one day, if I could deny my own syntheism, to just follow Christ in a way that would best suit me.

In the end I would probably not call myself any of those four labels, but instead, just a Christian and I would probably own a cross necklace. And I wouldn't let anyone let me get between The Son and me, and I would tell nobody how is the correct way to get to Him.

Overall I could be a very decent and upright Christian. And Christianity has it in the way which, as long as you believe in Him, that you can virtually be any kind of person you want to be. There are maybe three types of syntheists: the pantheist, the atheist and the humanist syntheists. All three are essentially the same. Things like pacifism doesn't really apply directly to syntheistic teachings. Having a religion of 2.2 billion followers offers more flexibility than say, a religion of maybe ten thousand followers.

I already own multiple Bibles, both in print and in audiobook format. I have contemplated many times how I can do this in a way where I'm not just arguing my syntheism to the pastors. The last service I went to I felt uplifted by the message but also felt like the things being said disagreed with my scientific understandings. And probably the hardest thing for me to truly wrap my head around is, well, I'm gnostic. I feel like right now I know God so well already, as time progresses I see things change more and more. And if, let's say, I became a Lutheran, I might only have faith in God again, rather than the knowledge of God I understand from my syntheism.

Anyways, I think about this more often than I would like to admit. And I know there's probably some Christians right now who are probably reading this who are like, "we're so close!" I developed my syntheism when I was 14, and have been in the syntheist realm since then. As far as Christian Syntheism goes, I might as well at that point become a Mormon. But Mormonism is a bit too hands-on for my tastes, honestly.

So, what do you think?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Christo-Pagan.

Or not at all. I mean I did leave Catholicism for reasons of philisophical differences.

Viker

Häxan
I have know real idea today. When I was younger I was drawn to Quakers, Shakers ( a defunct regional denomination), Catholicism and the Methodists. I was all over the map back then.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Shakers ( a defunct regional denomination),

This (Shaker) is actually practiced amongst some of the Native tribes. At least in Washington state.

It honestly reminds me of how Evangelicals do the "Holy Spirit/Tongues" thing.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
If I became a Christian again, I would probably become a Christian Existentialist and a practicing Rosicrucian.

They just have sound philosophical bases and they complement each other nicely

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
As someone who has never once considered himself a Christian, I obsess about this question a lot.

The thread title is all you need to answer the question for yourself, and with this introductory post I am going to elaborate on this for myself.

So, the main groups I am interested in include: Messianic Judaism/Jewish Christianity, Mennonites, Evangelical Lutheranism and Mormonism. I will list each in its own paragraph explaining why I'm interested in them.

Messianic Judaism/Jewish Christianity: Possibly the most legitimate version of Christianity out there, that teaches to respect both the new and the old, and if you can quote scripture Jesus literally says that following the Torah is essentially following him, that he is the Law. And I don't really subscribe to replacement theory, where the New supersedes the old in any way. If you only believe in the Gospels why is there a Old Testament? Jesus was Jewish. End of story.

Mennonites: I consider myself a pacifist. Mennonites are both against abortion and the death penalty. I would have a hard time believing that any other group in America is also against both at the same time.

Evangelical Lutheranism: Okay, so I took a religious quiz and got 100% Evangelical Lutheran. I would say half of the responses were "only if I were a Christian" where the other half was truly me. The reason why I think I would make a good Evangelical Lutheran is they both promote the inerrancy of the scripture and at the same time are mainline and for things like gay marriage and women pastors. And I agree!

Mormonism: Mormons believe in many Gods, that you can become a God, and all of that, and to that remark I say Mormonism is very close to the Earthseed and Syntheist argument of, "God is change."

I have thought about this so hard I am surprised I haven't already called myself a Christian. The last service I went to was an Evangelical Lutheran service, and it would be very easy for me just to walk there and (eventually) get baptized. This syntheist pantheistic trinity I hold: The Omniverse, Entropy and Extropy can easily be translated into The Holy Spirit, The Father and The Son. Honestly, when I answered the questions as if were a Christian I didn't feel as if I was really lying either.

I am not saying I am Christian. Gnostic syntheism runs strong in my veins. I feel as one who is this faith I can know and understand God better than any Christian ever could. Maybe it is because I focus a lot of it on The Omniverse or Holy Spirit. I don't know.

What I do know however is, if one day I decided to convert, I would get baptized at the Evangelical Lutheran church minutes away from my house. If I decide to attend church on Sunday, that's great, but that church has video recordings of services on YouTube. Whenever I would feel like my faith isn't strong enough I would study the Old Testament on Saturdays to understand the Torah and prophets thereafter. And honestly I could see myself possibly one day, if I could deny my own syntheism, to just follow Christ in a way that would best suit me.

In the end I would probably not call myself any of those four labels, but instead, just a Christian and I would probably own a cross necklace. And I wouldn't let anyone let me get between The Son and me, and I would tell nobody how is the correct way to get to Him.

Overall I could be a very decent and upright Christian. And Christianity has it in the way which, as long as you believe in Him, that you can virtually be any kind of person you want to be. There are maybe three types of syntheists: the pantheist, the atheist and the humanist syntheists. All three are essentially the same. Things like pacifism doesn't really apply directly to syntheistic teachings. Having a religion of 2.2 billion followers offers more flexibility than say, a religion of maybe ten thousand followers.

I already own multiple Bibles, both in print and in audiobook format. I have contemplated many times how I can do this in a way where I'm not just arguing my syntheism to the pastors. The last service I went to I felt uplifted by the message but also felt like the things being said disagreed with my scientific understandings. And probably the hardest thing for me to truly wrap my head around is, well, I'm gnostic. I feel like right now I know God so well already, as time progresses I see things change more and more. And if, let's say, I became a Lutheran, I might only have faith in God again, rather than the knowledge of God I understand from my syntheism.

Anyways, I think about this more often than I would like to admit. And I know there's probably some Christians right now who are probably reading this who are like, "we're so close!" I developed my syntheism when I was 14, and have been in the syntheist realm since then. As far as Christian Syntheism goes, I might as well at that point become a Mormon. But Mormonism is a bit too hands-on for my tastes, honestly.

So, what do you think?
If today, I would likely have denounced Paul as an apostle along with the entirety of Pauline doctrine as being a counterfeit form of Christianity.

I also would likely stop going to a church and just have a one on one relationship as something personal and private.

Much like what I do now, but without puppetering any gods or deities.

epronovost

I would be the raving lunatic kind. You know the one with wild eyes, scraggly beard, wearing a sandwich sign with misspelled prophecy of imminent doom and a megaphone.

Exaltist Ethan

Gnostic syntheism to Gnostic Christianity... Well, I would definitely feel reassured, but Gnostic Christianity really isn't a thing... I can't go to a gnostic church, and the only added benefit for practicing it would be the extra scriptures I would try to understand more. Of course, however, there isn't anything saying that I couldn't be an Evangelical Lutheran but try to understand Christianity from a more gnostic, knowledge, perspective.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Sorry, I cannot say I would be in any of these groups because I do not believe they follow the teachings of Jesus.
I would be a Nazarene.

Who are the Nazarenes?

Nazarene, in the New Testament, a title applied to Jesus and, later, to those who followed his teachings (Acts 24:5). In the Greek text there appear two forms of the word: the simple form, Nazarēnos, meaning “of Nazareth,” and the peculiar form, Nazōraios.

Nazarene | Christianity - Encyclopedia Britannica
https://www.britannica.com › ... › Spirituality

Following the Arminian doctrine of Wesley, the Nazarene Church teaches that a person can renounce his or her salvation and walk away from a saving relationship with Christ. In rejecting eternal security, Nazarenes have no assurance of salvation. As a result, there is a real emphasis on working to maintain a right relationship with God within the Nazarene tradition.

What is the Nazarene Church, and what do Nazarenes believe? | GotQuestions.org

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I'd be a cherry picking Christian whereas I take the good wisdom parts of it, and leave most of it where it belongs, in the junk pile.

Reading a book such as the Bible you can anti learn many things from it, if you think about it critically. I'd rather scrutinize it, and leave the romanticizing faith out of it. For instance, I've learned thou shall not kill, and then God commanded his people to kill and take the land. So the lesson I get from that is don't follow blind commands from a so called God who contradicts. Be careful who you trust and consider the source. Without reason and understanding why I'm doing something I shouldn't blindly follow anyone, especially a God.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I would be the kind of Christian Abraham Lincoln had in mind when he wrote:

"When any church will inscribe over its altar, as its sole qualification for membership, the Savior's condensed statement of the substance of both law and Gospel, 'Thou shalt love the lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul and thy neighbor as thyself' that church will I join with all my heart and all my heart."

Exaltist Ethan

I'd be a cherry picking Christian whereas I take the good wisdom parts of it, and leave most of it where it belongs, in the junk pile.

Okay, but which groups doctrines do you consider to be the most sagacious?

Reading a book such as the Bible you can anti learn many things from it, if you think about it critically. I'd rather scrutinize it, and leave the romanticizing faith out of it. For instance, I've learned thou shall not kill, and then God commanded his people to kill and take the land. So the lesson I get from that is don't follow blind commands from a so called God who contradicts. Be careful who you trust and consider the source. Without reason and understanding why I'm doing something I shouldn't blindly follow anyone, especially a God.

I don't really have a problem with this. I've started to realize that pretty much everything in life is a contradiction anyways.

Exaltist Ethan

I would be the kind of Christian Abraham Lincoln had in mind when he wrote:

"When any church will inscribe over its altar, as its sole qualification for membership, the Savior's condensed statement of the substance of both law and Gospel, 'Thou shalt love the lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul and thy neighbor as thyself' that church will I join with all my heart and all my heart."

Abraham Lincoln was the only President of the United States to not be a Christian.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Okay, but which groups doctrines do you consider to be the most sagacious?

I don't really have a problem with this. I've started to realize that pretty much everything in life is a contradiction anyways.

Sagacious is an interesting word for them. I think there is a sect, I forget the name, that believes in universal salvation. A Christian Universalist is it. However God will need to further repent then he already has.

I think many seeming contradictions are shortcomings in languages and expression.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

So, what do you think?

If I were to go back to Christianity, it would be as a Quaker, the liberal kind. Integrity, equality, simplicity, community, stewardship of the Earth, and peace are things I can get on board with.