• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Hunters

Ðanisty

MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
Look up the word nuisance please. Crows stole our pecans, and coyotes killed our dogs and calves. Ask any farmer or rancher if crows and coyotes are a nuisance species, and you will get the same answer.

Please note, I did not grow up in a city. Nature is more than just what you see when you go on a hiking trip. If you are raising animals, and other animals are killing your animals, what are you go do? Politely request that they stop it? Appeal to their feelings?

I have no interest in whether you approve of what needed to be done or not. We also branded our calves, and cut the testicles off the males, so that they would gain more weight and not impregnate their close relatives, how does that fit into your touchy feely worldview?

B.
:biglaugh: You think I'm touchy feely? Let me tell you something. You would be hard-pressed to find another person on this forum who's as cold and cynical as I am. I find it interesting that based on one post you think you know about my worldview.

Here's my point. Maybe you're a nuisance to the coyotes and crows. I mean really, who's the offending party here? The coyote wandering around his natural habitat looking for an easy animal to poach or the person who came in and built a house on his hunting grounds?

As far as branding goes, I couldn't give a rat's ***. Having worked in the body mod industry, I've seen brandings done on people before, so I couldn't care less if you brand your livestock. Is there some reason I'm supposed to be hurt (or maybe somehow impressed) by the fact that you neuter your livestock? What's new? I've got 2 dogs and a cat and all of them are fixed.

Whether it makes a difference to you or not, I have every right to approve or disapprove of certain behaviors.

Master Vigil

kreeden said:
Hmmm ? I think that I see your point MV . However , if we are designed to chew , digest , and use the nutrients in meat , then I would assume that it is natural for us to eat it ? Perhaps not necessary , but natural .
Indeed! However the means of getting the meat to naturally eat isn't always natural.

Besides , I like the taste . ;)
I'm a wolf, so I completely agree!:jam:

Draka

Wonder Woman
Buttons* said:
i agree, i find it disgusting and cruel. I think hunters should be the hunted every once in a while, maybe get a taste of fear... i know there's a story like that somewhere...
The Greek story of Diana and Acteon. I could type it all out, but it is essentially a hunter (son of King Cadmus)who stumbles across Diana in the buff while she was bathing. As punishment she turns him into a stag which in turn is hunted and torn apart by his very own hunting dogs and watched by his hunting buddies.

Talk about Divine karmic backlash.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Ðanisty said:
Here's my point. Maybe you're a nuisance to the coyotes and crows. I mean really, who's the offending party here? The coyote wandering around his natural habitat looking for an easy animal to poach or the person who came in and built a house on his hunting grounds?

As far as branding goes, I couldn't give a rat's ***. Having worked in the body mod industry, I've seen brandings done on people before, so I couldn't care less if you brand your livestock. Is there some reason I'm supposed to be hurt (or maybe somehow impressed) by the fact that you neuter your livestock? What's new? I've got 2 dogs and a cat and all of them are fixed.
You have brought up two points there Danisty that I would like to give my rather twisted view on . But this isn't an attack on you , just something that I have wanted to address and this seems like a good time .

First off , you are 100% correct about the Coyote , IMHO . He is just doing what he does , in his own natural habitat . However , that habitat is also my natural habitat . Didn't I have a right to it too ?

The second point is that even if you don't have a problem with neutering , I do . :) Yea . But that would be a thread on it's own , so I wouldn't get into it that deep . But personally , if I had to have a dog or cat neutered , I wouldn't have it . I don't need a pet that bad . I would much perfer to shoot an animal for food then to neuter them for my own pleasure . That goes for raising animals for food too . And no , I don't have a cat or dog . Had cats , but the Coyotes eat them ... Really . :)

Anyway , I realize that most don't agree with my opinions on the subject but just wanted to point out that there are different ways of viewing that also .

Ðanisty

kreeden said:
You have brought up two points there Danisty that I would like to give my rather twisted view on . But this isn't an attack on you , just something that I have wanted to address and this seems like a good time .
No problem.

First off , you are 100% correct about the Coyote , IMHO . He is just doing what he does , in his own natural habitat . However , that habitat is also my natural habitat . Didn't I have a right to it too ?
Sure, but are you condemning an entire species as a nuisance or are you protecting your interests? Do you respect the coyote when you kill it or have you justified it's death because you've already delegated it as inferior and unimportant animal...simply a nuisance species?

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Personally I have only ever killed one Coyote . I love the little guys and enjoy having them around ... but I have gotten tired of feeding them cats . :( So I no longer have cats .

No species should be tossed off as a " nuisance " species IMHO . If so , perhaps we should start by taking a close look at ourselves ?

Dentonz

Ðanisty said:
Wow, I just can't in any way find that acceptable. You think that just because crows and coyotes are annoying that it's okay to kill them? Just because they annoy you doesn't make them a "nuisance species." I'm sure they have their place in the ecosystem. Is it even legal to hunt coyotes? And before you even go there, yes I know that coyotes "steal" herd animals and stuff. That is part of their nature and I think if you're going to bother living with nature, you should respect that and deal with it. Killing them just for being what they are isn't right.
Yeah it's legal to hunt coyotes! Matter of fact there's a bounty on them in VA. And it's not so much them stealing my chickens, it's my kids i'm worried about.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Worried about your kids and coyotes ? Are they that use to humans ? Even if they are , I doubt if they would be all that much of a danger . Dogs would likely be more of a danger .

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
I think that "pleasure" hunting is disgusting--and that anyone who ENJOYS killing is morally and mentally ill. That includes Dick Cheney and his hunting buddy. The latter deserved what he got: a taste of his own medicine.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
kreeden said:
Worried about your kids and coyotes ? Are they that use to humans ? Even if they are , I doubt if they would be all that much of a danger . Dogs would likely be more of a danger .
Well, you've only gotta look at what goes on here with the dingos to work that out. People feed the animals and then when someone gets bitten, they stand about with a surprised look on their face and decide killing the animals is the answer to the problem they created.
According to the California Department of Fish and Game, roughly 1 person per year gets bitten by a coyote in California. Another estimate I saw suggests 10 attacks per year nationwide. Then look at the dog attack statistics...according to the US Humane Society, 300 people were killed by dogs between 1979 and '99. That's 15 people per year - not just bitten - dead.
Statistically, the family dog is more likely to harm your child than a coyote is.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I don't know that much about the dingo Raven , but yes I can see a child getting nipped by a coyote . Which in my opinion is a good lesson for the child . :) But I don't see a nip as being a real danger . But then , I had been eaten three times by raccoons before I was a teenager ... Several times by squirrels ... twice by dogs ... you get the picture . ;)

A cougar or bear will sometimes kill a child . That I understand as a danger . Not a child who gets too close to a wild animal , as in that case it was the child's fault , or the parents , not the animal's .

Edited to chance " bingo " to " dingo " .... D'uh ... :)

MdmSzdWhtGuy

retrorich said:
I think that "pleasure" hunting is disgusting--and that anyone who ENJOYS killing is morally and mentally ill. That includes Dick Cheney and his hunting buddy. The latter deserved what he got: a taste of his own medicine.
What is wrong with you? This guy gets accidentally shot, and might even die from it, and this makes you happy?

B.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
What is wrong with you? This guy gets accidentally shot, and might even die from it, and this makes you happy?

B.
I didn't say it makes me happy. I said he got what he deserved. A taste of his own medicine.

Buttons* said:
I thought of a few more:

Does hunting make you feel like more of a man?
If you are a woman, does it make you feel more powerful?
Would you want to be around some or live with someone who enjoyed killing living things?
There are many people in the world, if we wanted to get a challenge, why dont we hunt people?

I know there exists a program where there are animals from africa brought into the states, born and raised. Once the animal is of an approrpiate age, they will take off all it's dangerous fighting capability. (ie, lions would be declawed and de-toothed) A person can pay a certian amount of money, go in to this "range" and send their dogs on the defenceless animal. Once it's been ripped to shreads and beggs for death, the "hunter" will shoot it, and end its misery. If anyone can provide me information on this subject, it would be appriciated. Do any hunters here participate in anything like this?
Oh buttons you should not enjoy the process of killing any form of animal nor should any man myself being included, if it is done for the act of norishment to your physical form then the wages are negated....such as chicken,fish,etc but to hunt for hunting's sake or ego is bad karma...for the person performing such acts does harm to themselves, such foolishness is it not, many blessings to you buttons sorry for my late response beloved.:hug:

Moses the God Archetype* said:
Oh buttons you should not enjoy the process of killing any form of animal nor should any man myself being included, if it is done for the act of norishment to your physical form then the wages are negated....such as chicken,fish,etc but to hunt for hunting's sake or ego is bad karma...for the person performing such acts does harm to themselves, such foolishness is it not, many blessings to you buttons sorry for my late response beloved.:hug:
You are right about that Moses. I don't know about the Karma thing, but I won't hunt with a guy who will not eat the meat of the hunt. And if a guy can't make an quick and clean kill he should not take the shot.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I concur . Although a clean kill is never guaranteed , it is what very hunter should try for . And very hunter should take very measure to insure that there is as little suffering as possible .