• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Hunters

nutshell

MidnightBlue said:
We can eat fruit without killing the plant; in fact, one could argue that the purpose of fruit is to be eaten. However, it's very difficult to live on a fruitarian diet, and I for one would not want to try it.
Hmmm...I wonder. Does eating its fruit cause the plant pain?

Smoke

Done here.
nutshell said:
Whether a plant has a psychic connection to its detached fruit is beyond my ken, but I'm skeptical, to say the least. :)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
srturtle said:
There is no honor or respect in the penning of animals and mechanization of the "hunt." There's more honor and respect for the animal if you take the time to honor the animal with your time and effort to earn the sacrifice it is making for you to continue living.
Welcome srturtle . :) What you said above , and PWs words on seperating ourselves from our food supply sums up my view on the matter . I grew up watching animals grown for food and hunted for food . Given the choice , I would choose to be hunted .

BTW PW , have you ever watched free-ranged chickens feed ? They will eat ANYTHING !!!! A reasonable amount of confinement can be a good thing . ;)

Ðanisty

I have hunted Deer, Rabbits, Squirrels, Dove, Quail, Turkey, Wild Pigs, Crows, Coyotes and I can't really think of anything else. Everything I have ever hunted I have eaten, unless it was a nuisance species (crows, coyotes).
Wow, I just can't in any way find that acceptable. You think that just because crows and coyotes are annoying that it's okay to kill them? Just because they annoy you doesn't make them a "nuisance species." I'm sure they have their place in the ecosystem. Is it even legal to hunt coyotes? And before you even go there, yes I know that coyotes "steal" herd animals and stuff. That is part of their nature and I think if you're going to bother living with nature, you should respect that and deal with it. Killing them just for being what they are isn't right.

nutshell

MidnightBlue said:
I don't know. Does it seem unusual?
No. I'm familiar with the word. I'm not sure where you're from, but in the US (at least in the Northwest where I'm from) it's not a word people use.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Buttons* said:
i agree, i find it disgusting and cruel. I think hunters should be the hunted every once in a while, maybe get a taste of fear... i know there's a story like that somewhere...
I find any form of hunting cruel, mean and horrific (however quick the kill). Fishing is included............I wish someone would design a diet totally man - made.:(

nutshell said:
Not eating it; taking it off the plant does. A bit like kidnapping.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
People have to kill to eat. But unnecissary killing is, well, not necissary! We should give thanks to what we do have to kill to eat, and respect it.

fromthe heart

painted wolf said:
I have to add my two cents on the supermarket meat.

Unless you are buying small farmed, free range humane animal products, you are contributing to far more suffering than hunting brings.
Many factory farmed animals live horrible lives, filled with suffering and degrading treatment.
At least the hunted animal lived a free life, and when you kill it you know (and can prevent to a large part) its level of suffering uppon its death. You can at least say your thanks and ask forgiveness in person.

We are so disconnected from our food in the 'modern' world that we can all to easily forget that our hamburger was once a living creature.... a life we will never know.
Our eggs were "produced" in an automated factory where the chicken is just another cog in the machine... not a free being, just another part of the machine.

wa:do
I have to agree with store merchandise meat products...a lot of them come from factory farms where they are given growth hormones to raise them in as little time as possible...I prefer hunting wild game...my family has done it since before I was even thought of and it's not cruel or inhumane in any way. The meat is healthier to consume and it's more respectful to the animal population. If hunting no longer exsisted there would be no more corn products because the deer population would over-take the fields and destroy the crops...venison is an excellent meat since it's lower in fat as all free range animals are and free of chemicals...as for vegetables being alive...thank goodness....we need the chemical compounds in them to keep us healthy.

Certian types of hunting however is close to cruel...bow hunting by most these days only injure the animals to wonder off and either die painfully or build infections that lead to a long painful death. SOME bow hunters who are well tried in their skills know HOW to do it correctly but 2/3 don't. As for musket hunting...again the same as bow...depends on the skill of the hunter on whether it's a humane kill.

Master Vigil

Here is my simple take on the hunting issue. I am ok with Killing for Necessity. But I am NOT ok with Killing for Pleasure. If you really need to go out and kill something to eat, then by any means go and eat. But if you hunt solely for the enjoyment of hunting (even if it ends in the eating of it), than I find that disgusting. The most important aspect of this must be necessity (IMO).

We as humans are omnivores, we are naturally designed to eat both animal and plant. And I have no problem with accepting our natural way. However, these days hunting (in most societies) is not a necessity for survival. So I disagree with it's use.

Also, the horrible ways that we raise cattle, chickens, etc... for the sole purpose of being slaughtered is another unnecessary way I am extremely against.

Now for the plant issue... For some plants, it is actually healthier for them for their fruit to be picked. They actually evolved to put the seeds in the fruit so that when the fruit was eaten, the seed will be thrown onto the ground and start another plant. And thus it is beneficial for some plants to have parts of it eaten. But this does not mean the plant has to be killed. Again, it all goes back to the concept of necessity.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Master Vigil said:
We as humans are omnivores, we are naturally designed to eat both animal and plant. And I have no problem with accepting our natural way. However, these days hunting (in most societies) is not a necessity for survival. So I disagree with it's use.
MV , you know me well enough that I feel that I can ask this question of you and you well not take it the wrong way ... as most would I think . :)

Could you explain what the you mean by the above statement ? To me , it sounds that you are saying that it is ok to eat meat , as long as some one else kills it for us ? Which of course would be silly . :) So please explain .

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Buttons* said:
People have to kill to eat. But unnecissary killing is, well, not necissary! We should give thanks to what we do have to kill to eat, and respect it.

And I agree 100% . :)

But a few ... twisted views for you to think about about .

Which teaches respect ? Tracking an animal , and learning it's habits , or picking up a steak at the supermarket ? The more one removes one's self from something , the less respect they have for it , IMHO .

And even a tree " kills " to survive . What ? You didn't know that ? :) Yes , it does . Indirectly . The next time you are in an conifous forest , take a close look at the base of the trees ... Kinda like looking at a small field of asphalt . But of course , that is nature , and some plants need the shade , etc , that large trees provide . And in the same way , hunting is natural .

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Buttons* said:
I agree, I have to eat; those living foodstuffs (animals, and plants) have been sacrificed for me to live. I give thanks to them.;)

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Ðanisty said:
Wow, I just can't in any way find that acceptable. You think that just because crows and coyotes are annoying that it's okay to kill them? Just because they annoy you doesn't make them a "nuisance species." I'm sure they have their place in the ecosystem. Is it even legal to hunt coyotes? And before you even go there, yes I know that coyotes "steal" herd animals and stuff. That is part of their nature and I think if you're going to bother living with nature, you should respect that and deal with it. Killing them just for being what they are isn't right.
Look up the word nuisance please. Crows stole our pecans, and coyotes killed our dogs and calves. Ask any farmer or rancher if crows and coyotes are a nuisance species, and you will get the same answer.

Please note, I did not grow up in a city. Nature is more than just what you see when you go on a hiking trip. If you are raising animals, and other animals are killing your animals, what are you go do? Politely request that they stop it? Appeal to their feelings?

I have no interest in whether you approve of what needed to be done or not. We also branded our calves, and cut the testicles off the males, so that they would gain more weight and not impregnate their close relatives, how does that fit into your touchy feely worldview?

B.

Master Vigil

kreeden said:
MV , you know me well enough that I feel that I can ask this question of you and you well not take it the wrong way ... as most would I think . :)
And you know me well enough to know I won't take it the wrong way. :D

Could you explain what the you mean by the above statement ? To me , it sounds that you are saying that it is ok to eat meat , as long as some one else kills it for us ? Which of course would be silly . :) So please explain .
You're right, it does sound silly. Because all I said was that I disagree with the use of hunting in todays societies because it is unnecessary. However, that doesn't mean that I think it's ok to eat meat that was raised to be slaughtered either. I just didn't get into that too deeply.

Are we designed to chew, digest, and use the nutrients in meat? Yes.
Is it always ok, necessary, or even natural for us to eat meat? No.

Again, the basic requirement should be necessity.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
kreeden said:
And I agree 100% . :)

But a few ... twisted views for you to think about about .

Which teaches respect ? Tracking an animal , and learning it's habits , or picking up a steak at the supermarket ? The more one removes one's self from something , the less respect they have for it , IMHO .

And even a tree " kills " to survive . What ? You didn't know that ? :) Yes , it does . Indirectly . The next time you are in an conifous forest , take a close look at the base of the trees ... Kinda like looking at a small field of asphalt . But of course , that is nature , and some plants need the shade , etc , that large trees provide . And in the same way , hunting is natural .
I've thought about all of those before. *smiles* My brother actually brought the idea to me when I decided to become a vegetarian. He said, "everything kills to live, and everything has to die so you wont be saving anything." yes, they are interesting points to ponder!

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Master Vigil said:
And you know me well enough to know I won't take it the wrong way. :D

You're right, it does sound silly. Because all I said was that I disagree with the use of hunting in todays societies because it is unnecessary. However, that doesn't mean that I think it's ok to eat meat that was raised to be slaughtered either. I just didn't get into that too deeply.

Are we designed to chew, digest, and use the nutrients in meat? Yes.
Is it always ok, necessary, or even natural for us to eat meat? No.

Again, the basic requirement should be necessity.
Hmmm ? I think that I see your point MV . However , if we are designed to chew , digest , and use the nutrients in meat , then I would assume that it is natural for us to eat it ? Perhaps not necessary , but natural .

Besides , I like the taste . ;)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Buttons* said:
I've thought about all of those before. *smiles* My brother actually brought the idea to me when I decided to become a vegetarian. He said, "everything kills to live, and everything has to die so you wont be saving anything." yes, they are interesting points to ponder!
Cool . :) It sounds as if you have given quite a bit of thought to what you feel is right for you . And that is all that really matters , IMHO .

You may be amazed by how many people I have met who don't seem to have any idea where the meat in a supermarket comes from ... or perhaps you wouldn't be ? :) And of course there is the damage we do to the enviroment shipping food half way around the world and growing it ... But if one gets too deep , you just can't win ... :) So each of us do the best we can . What more can anyone ask ?

However , I do eat too much meat for my own good ... :(