• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Hunters

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Okay, i have some questions. If they sound rambling and jumpy... its cause i've thought alot about them, and they come to me at a fairly fast rate... hard to put them all down:

Why do you hunt?
What do you hunt?
I see the act as more of an ambush. You bait the animal, you sit up in a treehouse and wait for it to come to you, and you have a gun, while the animal has nothing...Do you think it's really "hunting"?
Do you own any pets?
Does your pet (if you have one) have a soul, or a personality?
Are all animals in the same category?
If animals are all animals, do they have souls?
If your pet has a soul, and it's an animal, and other things are animals, wouldnt that mean they have souls too?
How do you feel about the term "murder"?
If you tell me that hunting deer is because of their overabundance of population, why dont people either:
1) start making the deer domestic and kill them for their meat?
2) leave the deer alone, and try to bring wolves back into the picture to do the job they've been deprived of?

....there's more to come.... but this should be enough to get people started

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I thought of a few more:

Does hunting make you feel like more of a man?
If you are a woman, does it make you feel more powerful?
Would you want to be around some or live with someone who enjoyed killing living things?
There are many people in the world, if we wanted to get a challenge, why dont we hunt people?

I know there exists a program where there are animals from africa brought into the states, born and raised. Once the animal is of an approrpiate age, they will take off all it's dangerous fighting capability. (ie, lions would be declawed and de-toothed) A person can pay a certian amount of money, go in to this "range" and send their dogs on the defenceless animal. Once it's been ripped to shreads and beggs for death, the "hunter" will shoot it, and end its misery. If anyone can provide me information on this subject, it would be appriciated. Do any hunters here participate in anything like this?

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
I dont hunt, I disagree with hunting.
Animals feel pain, and I believe they have souls too.​
Look at fox hunting, thats hatefull.... Lets let a man run for his life and give him 15 mins, then release a pack of pitbulls.... can you imagine the fear....... NASTY!

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Evenstar said:
Look at fox hunting, thats hatefull.... Lets let a man run for his life and give him 15 mins, then release a pack of pitbulls.... can you imagine the fear....... NASTY!
i agree, i find it disgusting and cruel. I think hunters should be the hunted every once in a while, maybe get a taste of fear... i know there's a story like that somewhere...

gnomon

Buttons* said:
Okay, i have some questions. If they sound rambling and jumpy... its cause i've thought alot about them, and they come to me at a fairly fast rate... hard to put them all down:

Why do you hunt?
What do you hunt?
I see the act as more of an ambush. You bait the animal, you sit up in a treehouse and wait for it to come to you, and you have a gun, while the animal has nothing...Do you think it's really "hunting"?
Do you own any pets?
If your pet has a soul, and it's an animal, and other things are animals, wouldnt that mean they have souls too?
If you tell me that hunting deer is because of their overabundance of population, why dont people either:
2) leave the deer alone, and try to bring wolves back into the picture to do the job they've been deprived of?

Is this rhetorical?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I admit that I am an avid Bug hunter. I dive deep and long and look for them under ledges and way back in crevices. They try to hide and I seek them out. I never take pregnant bugs and OH they taste so sweet! Yum!

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
NetDoc said:
I admit that I am an avid Bug hunter. I dive deep and long and look for them under ledges and way back in crevices. They try to hide and I seek them out. I never take pregnant bugs and OH they taste so sweet! Yum!
haha, sinner! (only joking)
:p

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
gnomon said:
Is this rhetorical?
not all of it. If people have answers, i'd like to read them. maybe get a better perspective on hunting in general

my problem is, i just dont get it!

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
For any hunters out there... have you ever read:

"The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell ?
You should, its enlightening.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
gnomon said:
:)

Some of the questions seem a bit loaded but I won't debate them. I'm not a hunter.
i dont mean to sound attack-ive.... (not even a word) It doesnt matter if you are or arent.... they're just questions. Friendly debating. ;)

Squirt

Evenstar said:
Sounds good to me. I am 100% anti-fox hunting.

Ody

Buttons* said:
i dont mean to sound attack-ive.... (not even a word) It doesnt matter if you are or arent.... they're just questions. Friendly debating. ;)
You try not to use loaded words when you are debating "friendly" ;)

Ðanisty

I'm not a hunter, but I've grown up with people who are and if I had a gun and some property in the country I probably would hunt, so I'm going to answer your questions since there don't seem to be many hunters on this forum...

Why do you hunt?
People hunt for many reasons but the only justifiable reason, in my opinion, is for food. If you aren't going to use what the animal has to offer, don't kill it.
What do you hunt?
I would probably hunt deer since that seems to be the only real thing to hunt down here. I've had deer meat before and it's pretty good...very lean. There is also an over-abundance of deer in this area. I'll get into that with the other question though.
It does take skill on the hunter's part. Deer are quite skiddish and surprisingly fast. It takes a lot of patience to hunt them. If you were in the forest and there were men hiding in trees with camouflage and rifles, would you feel hunted? I'm pretty sure you would.
Do you own any pets?
Yes, 2 dogs and a cat.
Yes, they all three have souls and distinct personalities.
I would say yes with the exception of insects and stuff. All mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, etc. are equal in my opinion.
Yes.
It seems obvious to me.
Killing in cold blood out passion, rage, anger, etc. or just because you can. Killing with no justifiable purpose.
Wild game has a different flavor and is healthier and leaner than domesticated animals. No antibiotics, no hormones...it's as organic as it gets and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying meat.
Deer in my part of the country would have naturally been hunted by mountain lions. I assume it's pretty obvious why it wouldn't be safe to bring mountain lions into even semi-residential areas.

I'm not a man.
I would not say that hunting would make me feel more powerful or that it necessarily makes men feel more powerful. I think it makes people feel as if they accomplished something and they're capable of providing for their families, etc. I think there is a sense of pride that comes along with that.
Would you want to be around some or live with someone who enjoyed killing living things?
I am fine with hunting provided that the animal is used for food. Hunting for sport is not justifiable as far as I'm concerned and obviously just killing random animals for fun is sick.
There are many people in the world, if we wanted to get a challenge, why dont we hunt people?
People kill other people all of the time. Maybe you should ask them why they do it. I believe cannibalism is an absolute last resort in extreme circumstances and only acceptable if they are already dead or will die and want to be euthanized. Given that, I don't justify hunting people because it would be for sport or cannibalism...both of which I don't agree with.

For any hunters out there... have you ever read:

"The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell?
You should, its enlightening.
Yes, I have read this story, but I think I've already explained myself pretty well. Hunting for sport alone is wrong. Hunting people is wrong.

Flappycat

Hmm, some hunters use trained dogs to hunt. The dogs seem to love it intensely, but I dearly wish that some hunters would provide better care for them. We've made dogs our friends, as a species, and it isn't proper to neglect friends.

I disagree with hunting if I can be convinced to have any sort of sympathy for the particular animal being hunted. For example, I disagree with hunting of deer that isn't a measure to protect crops. Humans have a vested interest in protecting their crops, and I tend to side with the humans in this regard because they happen to come from my village; however, I do have some sympathy for the deer for the simple reason that I happen to like them, in general. Humans aren't necessarily superior to other sorts of animal because a cleverness with tools and calls isn't the only strength that can occur in living things; they just happen to be the same species as myself, which I occassionally regret. It may sound odd to take this ethical stand, but I'm only unusual in that I do so openly.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Ðanisty said:
I'm not a hunter, but I've grown up with people who are and if I had a gun and some property in the country I probably would hunt, so I'm going to answer your questions since there don't seem to be many hunters on this forum...

Why do you hunt?
People hunt for many reasons but the only justifiable reason, in my opinion, is for food. If you aren't going to use what the animal has to offer, don't kill it.
What do you hunt?
I would probably hunt deer since that seems to be the only real thing to hunt down here. I've had deer meat before and it's pretty good...very lean. There is also an over-abundance of deer in this area. I'll get into that with the other question though.
It does take skill on the hunter's part. Deer are quite skiddish and surprisingly fast. It takes a lot of patience to hunt them. If you were in the forest and there were men hiding in trees with camouflage and rifles, would you feel hunted? I'm pretty sure you would.
Do you own any pets?
Yes, 2 dogs and a cat.
Yes, they all three have souls and distinct personalities.
I would say yes with the exception of insects and stuff. All mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, etc. are equal in my opinion.
Yes.
It seems obvious to me.
Killing in cold blood out passion, rage, anger, etc. or just because you can. Killing with no justifiable purpose.
Wild game has a different flavor and is healthier and leaner than domesticated animals. No antibiotics, no hormones...it's as organic as it gets and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying meat.
Deer in my part of the country would have naturally been hunted by mountain lions. I assume it's pretty obvious why it wouldn't be safe to bring mountain lions into even semi-residential areas.

I'm not a man.
I would not say that hunting would make me feel more powerful or that it necessarily makes men feel more powerful. I think it makes people feel as if they accomplished something and they're capable of providing for their families, etc. I think there is a sense of pride that comes along with that.
I am fine with hunting provided that the animal is used for food. Hunting for sport is not justifiable as far as I'm concerned and obviously just killing random animals for fun is sick.
People kill other people all of the time. Maybe you should ask them why they do it. I believe cannibalism is an absolute last resort in extreme circumstances and only acceptable if they are already dead or will die and want to be euthanized. Given that, I don't justify hunting people because it would be for sport or cannibalism...both of which I don't agree with.

Yes, I have read this story, but I think I've already explained myself pretty well. Hunting for sport alone is wrong. Hunting people is wrong.
yay! someone answered my questions!

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Why do you hunt?
Well, I haven't hunted for years and I never did it a lot, but I've never shot anything I couldn't eat. Except for the last rabbit I killed, but it had myxo and was already dying...poor blind little bugger it was:(
What do you hunt?
Rabbits, mostly.
Well, with rabbits you tend to be on the same level as them, and part of the challenge is the sneaking up.
Do you own any pets?
A cat, 2 dogs and a rabbit.
Yep and yep.
Yeah, I guess. As in while I may not shoot my pets or the pets of the neighbour, I would shoot feral domestic animals, if that's the sort of thing you mean.
Yeah, why wouldn't they. People fit under the heading of all animals too.
Follows.
I don't think of it as a term that is necessarily interchangeable with hunting.
Don't you guys have deer farms? We do...the buggers get out.
Personally, I'm all for that, but for some reason, people feel more at ease with the idea of men with guns running around the place than large predators. And obviously - as Danisty pointed out - in some cases it's impractical. It's certainly impractical here, because the deer don't belong and there are no large predators. Given enough time and Flappycats grand plan of feral cat self determination, however, and that issue may resolve itself.
Nup.
Nup again. Like I said, the largest part of the challenge is the sneaky bit. If it hears you or smells you and buggers off, good luck to it.
Do you mean just for the fun of killing something? No, that's just wrong.
I've never been in the habit of eating people, so why would I hunt them? Though I did hone my sneaky skills on the school holidays messing about in the bush with my cousin...effectively we hunted each other with no bloodshed.

I know there exists a program where there are animals from africa brought into the states, born and raised. Once the animal is of an approrpiate age, they will take off all it's dangerous fighting capability. (ie, lions would be declawed and de-toothed) A person can pay a certian amount of money, go in to this "range" and send their dogs on the defenceless animal. Once it's been ripped to shreads and beggs for death, the "hunter" will shoot it, and end its misery. If anyone can provide me information on this subject, it would be appriciated. Do any hunters here participate in anything like this?
Personally I think that's pretty disgusting. If you want to hunt big game, then accept the danger. If you don't want to accept the danger, don't hunt the animal. That's not even taking into account the fact that they're not going to eat it. I don't like trophy hunting at the best of times, but if you want to hunt a lion, then hunt a bloody lion...don't doctor the lion until it's just a great big bunny, kill it and then brag to your mates about what a big man you are.:slap: