• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For fans of the Tolkien.

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
I am rereading dune. Its a blast. And yes tolkien is well worth a reread as well. Like an old friend visiting.

For a lot of reasons, Dune has been nudging me and this is one of the things I shall achieve (well, the original books bu Herbert that is...) within the coming months.
I've seen the Lynch movie of course but I know it's entirely different to the books. (not that it's a bad thing for either)

Ellen Brown

For a lot of reasons, Dune has been nudging me and this is one of the things I shall achieve (well, the original books bu Herbert that is...) within the coming months.
I've seen the Lynch movie of course but I know it's entirely different to the books. (not that it's a bad thing for either)

As Salaam Alaikum.
You might find this amusing. The book and subsequent movie, "DUNE" (1984) is what started me thinking about Islam. Though it would not be until 2005 that I acted. At that time, in 1984 Christian Pastors were not in habit of attacking Islam, or saying that Jews killed Jesus. It was the increasing repulsiveness of Christianity after 2001 that caused me to leave.

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
As Salaam Alaikum.
You might find this amusing. The book and subsequent movie, "DUNE" (1984) is what started me thinking about Islam. Though it would not be until 2005 that I acted. At that time, in 1984 Christian Pastors were not in habit of attacking Islam, or saying that Jews killed Jesus. It was the increasing repulsiveness of Christianity after 2001 that caused me to leave.

Fascinating. I'm a massive Lynch fan, so me seeing his film of Dune was natural but the book series of Herbert's Dune though didn't catch my interest until recently. One thing I'm quite fascinated in (from what I've read of the original series) is it has quite an interesting speculative religious-syncreticism going on around it's universe (stuff like "Zensunnism" and "Zenshiism"**, "Mahayana Christianity" etc) as well as political speculations, that speaks to me.

(** which really sounds like my kind of thing :D )

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey guys. As much as I admire Mr Herbert, let us keep our focus on love for Tolkien.

Only kidding guys.
But genuinely fascinated by the fact that Dune inevitably makes an appearance during any Tolkien (or even Star Wars) discussion and Lewis, his IRL friend, is always conspicuously missing.
Is it because Narnia is more overtly Jesus-y? No hate, just curious.

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
Only kidding guys.
But genuinely fascinated by the fact that Dune inevitably makes an appearance during any Tolkien (or even Star Wars) discussion and Lewis, his IRL friend, is always conspicuously missing.

The connection is probably that they're all "epics" but yeah, it does stylistically surprise me too.

Tolkien though, knew how to create a very lovable but complex world. It's a lot to read though! :eek: (or in my case, re-read)

Narnia? yes, the Christian overtones. Both Herbert and CS Lewis cater to more specific audiences than Tolkien I think.
In my perspective, Tolkien sort of carries the torch of writers like Dante, in a sense. But then, I'm surprised in this day and age of people who can only read brief sentences instead of paragraphs) that his series is still popular! A testament to his character writing then?

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
The connection is probably that they're all "epics" but yeah, it does stylistically surprise me too.

Tolkien though, knew how to create a very lovable but complex world. It's a lot to read though! :eek: (or in my case, re-read)

Narnia? yes, the Christian overtones. Both Herbert and CS Lewis cater to more specific audiences than Tolkien I think.
In my perspective, Tolkien sort of carries the torch of writers like Dante, in a sense. But then, I'm surprised in this day and age of people who can only read brief sentences instead of paragraphs) that his series is still popular! A testament to his character writing then?
Kind of ironic, since Tolkien was the one to (rather infamously) convert Lewis.
That said I can definitely see why Tolkien got his audience. As young fledgling nerds read his text, they can become lost in the exquisite detail and thus become lifelong fans. Lewis is a little more popular with the Christians. But I'll say he has a rather decent fanbase among the high fantasy subset.
Dante is another discussion in and of itself.

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
Kind of ironic, since Tolkien was the one to (rather infamously) convert Lewis.

This I never knew, very fascinating. Just learnt something :p

That said I can definitely see why Tolkien got his audience. As young fledgling nerds read his text, they can become lost in the exquisite detail and thus become lifelong fans. Lewis is a little more popular with the Christians. But I'll say he has a rather decent fanbase among the high fantasy subset.
Dante is another discussion in and of itself.

Yeah, there is a certain kind of nerd-dom that formed around his work (and outside of the famous P. Jackson film adaptions).

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
This I never knew, very fascinating. Just learnt something :p
Yeah it's one of the kind of "go toos" when someone argues against Harry Potter as satanic (of all things and I say that as a huge Potterhead.)

Yeah, there is a certain kind of nerd-dom that formed around his work (and outside of the famous P. Jackson film adaptions).
Oh hell yes there is. But since I can claim kinship with it, I won't complain ;)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hey guys. As much as I admire Mr Herbert, let us keep our focus on love for Tolkien.

Only kidding guys.
I have to be totally honest here and was never smitten by Dune anything. I thought the book was tedious and about as compelling as watching paint peel The movie wasn't much better and Sting was, in a word, ridiculous. It simply would not occur to me to bring up the drivel known as Star Wars in a conversation about Tolkien or his works.

On the other hand, I did quite enjoy the Narnia series but considered it far more as a children's story. I read it as a young adult and couldn't really relate to the story of the wardrobe (which was already a passe type of furniture, replaced by large walk-in closets). It dated itself right on an essential aspect of the story - the wardrobe. Narnia wasn't anywhere near as fleshed out as Middle-Earth, by a long shot, that has enabled Christopher Tolkien to release seemingly endless volumes of back story ideas.

Personally, I'm waiting breathlessly for his 17 volume Tolkien extravaganza titled, "Birdcage liner notes" compiled of all the bits of stories found in J.R.R.'s budgie's favorite cage. That will no doubt be followed by a group of "Lost Birdcage Liner Notes" books probably taking us well into the next century.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Hmm. How does Christopher's edits live up to his grandfather's unabashed works? Maybe I'll have to get both to analyse.
His standards weren't even close to JRR's. They couldn't be.

It's all the things JRR didn't bother finishing or didn't want published. Not that they're necessarily bad, but JRR was very popular and could have gotten anything and everything published if he wanted to do so.

Tom

David T

Premium Member
I didnt mind the movie i had read the book. I was a huge science fiction fan still am. In some ways u always look at religion science debates between science fi
The oregon dunes just down the road from where i live