• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For fans of the Tolkien.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I have decided to have a couple of reading "projects" for 2019.
One is to hopefully read all (or at least a good chunk) of Tolkien's work. His essays, his prequels, various stories, Hobbit and of course finally reread the Holy Bible aka The Lord of the Rings.

So in honour of that (I guess) why not have a chill little session and discuss Tolkein as fans. Debate which is his best work, what movie adaptions you like, what is your ultimate dream cast for a Tolkein movie adaption (doesn't have to be for the Hobbit or LotR, anything you like) which of his works you want to see adapted, any fond memories about his works or just what you like about the Tolkein in general.
Anything goes.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'm trying to track down everything I can. Book depository is going to love me lol
Be careful to distinguish between what JRR published, and later stuff his son Christopher had published.
Or licensed to complete unknowns.

Not that it isn't any good. But it isn't the same.
Tom

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Be careful to distinguish between what JRR published, and later stuff his son Christopher had published.
Or licensed to complete unknowns.

Not that it isn't any good. But it isn't the same.
Tom
Hmm. How does Christopher's edits live up to his grandfather's unabashed works? Maybe I'll have to get both to analyse.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't have much to say about this. I loved the books and the Peter Jackson movies. I've started thinking about watching the movies again or reading the books. But I'm not quite there yet.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't have much to say about this. I loved the books and the Peter Jackson movies. I've started thinking about watching the movies again or reading the books. But I'm not quite there yet.
The Peter Jackson LotR was my childhood. It was released when I was like 10 and I was so terrified my parents wouldn't allow me to watch them because they were rated M15+.
Dad was Tolkien's age pretty much so didn't have the background knowledge. Mum from Fiji unaware of his impact culturally. Thank Lord Elrond that my younger cousins had it on DVD. Then took me to see the other two in cinemas. We just watched them endlessly as kids.
Tried to read the books. I think I was not yet old enough to.......appreciate the Tolkien. Probably should have started with the Hobbit lol!
Tried again in High School and became a lifelong fan haha

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
One additional note about the movies: disc releases actually. There's a wonderful college level class on film making in the extended edition videos. Some of it is now obsolete with new technology, but I remember the section about how the sound was layered together for one scene and the short segment with all the many takes.

If you are at all interested in how it was done, you have a treat in store.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't read The Silmarillion until you have read the Lord of the Rings trilogy. In addition do not read anything extra until you have read the Hobbit and the Trilogy. The Silmarillion is not a prequel but is a fictional mythological background for the world of the LOTR. It a guide in case in future someone wants to extend the series, providing a fictional historical basis for the existence of all of the races in the books. The Silmarillion is the part where as Steven King says "Hey its not the ending but the journey that matters."

Ellen Brown

One is to hopefully read all (or at least a good chunk) of Tolkien's work. His essays, his prequels, various stories, Hobbit and of course finally reread the Holy Bible aka The Lord of the Rings.

So in honour of that (I guess) why not have a chill little session and discuss Tolkein as fans. Debate which is his best work, what movie adaptions you like, what is your ultimate dream cast for a Tolkein movie adaption (doesn't have to be for the Hobbit or LotR, anything you like) which of his works you want to see adapted, any fond memories about his works or just what you like about the Tolkein in general.
Anything goes.

I was good with Tolkien but the creepy little guy was too much! Now if I rewatch the movies, I just fast forward when we get to Golem.

David T

Premium Member
I was a huge fan of JRR Tolkien and HG Wells when I was a teenager. I should reread some of their works!
I am rereading dune. Its a blast. And yes tolkien is well worth a reread as well. Like an old friend visiting.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I was good with Tolkien but the creepy little guy was too much! Now if I rewatch the movies, I just fast forward when we get to Golem.
Golem scared me in the theatre. Also in the Bakshi version his voice is kind of weird.

David T

Premium Member

Anything goes.
I absolutely adore tolkien. Thats actually really terrific philosophy, theology,
I hope you search out "Leaf by Niggle".
It's truly impressive.
Tom
Have to read that now..

David T

Premium Member
He Reminds me of my ex wife except male. And shorter. And thinner. And less hair. Lol

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I am rereading dune. Its a blast. And yes tolkien is well worth a reread as well. Like an old friend visiting.
I was going to add, "until I discovered Frank Herbert" to my post, but I didn't want to hijack the thread. :D

David T

Premium Member
Don't read The Silmarillion until you have read the Lord of the Rings trilogy. In addition do not read anything extra until you have read the Hobbit and the Trilogy. The Silmarillion is not a prequel but is a fictional mythological background for the world of the LOTR. It a guide in case in future someone wants to extend the series, providing a fictional historical basis for the existence of all of the races in the books. The Silmarillion is the part where as Steven King says "Hey its not the ending but the journey that matters."
We could have a whole discussion on that. He actually was philology major like nietzche. So the silmarillion is him not just him just creating a background, but exploring how language forms, archetypes form, and how story forms from archetypes. Its what gives his characters such depth. Its brillant by itself. It seems beowolf inspired a lot in him.

David T

Premium Member
I was going to add, "until I discovered Frank Herbert" to my post, but I didn't want to hijack the thread. :D
These threads are rare on RF and probably the only ones actually relevant to reality!!! Yea dont ruin it.

To me most the other threads seem like i have stepped into a dr. Who arguing with harry potter, movie. My Best guess, some like dr who and some prefer harry potter and the debates rage on!!!!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I was told about Tolkien by my 7th grade English teacher who didn't think I'd have too much trouble with it. I didn't and instantly fell in love with all things Tolkien. I think I was 12 or 13 the first time I read the Hobbit & LOTR and I've always treated them as a unit, tacking the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales onto the group as they became available. In all, I've probably read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings at least a dozen times and perhaps half that for the latter works which were considerably different offerings. Reading the substantial appendixes of Return of the King will serve as good groundwork for the style and content of the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and Lost Tales 1 & 2. (I heartily agree with the suggested reading order given by @Brickjectivity )

Peter Jackson captured the essence, the soul, of the series almost perfectly. His depiction of Gollum as played by Andy Serkis is inspired genius and should have landed Serkis a Best Supporting Actor Academy Award for his efforts. Due to the complexity of the project(s) I am more than willing to forgive Peter Jackson for going away from the official story-line at times. Even his complete fabrications fit in nicely.

Last edited:

Bob the Unbeliever

My favorite in the Tolkien is the Hobbit, of course. I really liked the Rankin & Bass animated adaptation of that story, it's well worth digging up and watching/listening.

My favorite media for the main Trilogy? Is the BBC Radio adaption, which was more of a Radio Play, than, say, an Audible Audio book. It's brilliant, and came on 13 CD's, in a neat little wooden box. (I also have the BBC Radio adaption of the Hobbit too, but I prefer the written to that, even though it too was brilliant.) I got my set (trilogy) on sale, but still paid $40, as I remember. I just looked it up on Amazon, it has risen to $120. *whew* Years back, I ripped those CD's into MP3 chapters, for easier listening. The original CDs were split into exactly 2 minute tracks, but would typically play fully gapless on most players. I suppose that was to facilitate re-starting from (approximately) where you left off. However, I've found most MP3 players are fully capable of resuming exactly where you last quit, so that's not an issue, and it's easier to listen by chapter.

If you can get a copy of this? It is so worth the time to listen. I fully admit I had a hard time reading the books themselves (except the Hobbit), but have done so. But once I got the BBC Radio production set? I was hooked. The BBC was (mostly) unabridged. Done with voice acting, with moderate sound effects, in a Radio Play style. I think it plays better than the books would.