• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For converts, when did it "click" for you that this was the path for you?

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
For me, I was driving down the road listening to Krishna Das, and I felt happy and fulfilled, like, "this is the right path for me. This is where I belong." It was like being home, like my spirit was longing for what I may have been in a previous life. No other faith that I have come across has given me that calm, centering feeling of belonging that Sanatana Dharma has. I am very thankful to have found this path.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think there was an exact 'ah-ha!' moment, but rather many 'hmmm' moments that eventually caused my path to go the way it did.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
For me, I was driving down the road listening to Krishna Das, and I felt happy and fulfilled, ..
You listened to Krishna Das and then turned Shaiva! Was not Krishna Das a Hare-Krishna person?
Of course, for Hindus it is not a big problem since you can worship both, Krishna as well as Shiva, and many more. :D

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I suppose for me it was when a theosophist friend of mine told me that my views aligned with Hinduism. That's when I began to research and learn more about the religion.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
You listened to Krishna Das and then turned Shaiva! Was not Krishna Das a Hare-Krishna person?
Of course, for Hindus it is not a big problem since you can worship both, Krishna as well as Shiva, and many more. :D

lol! I love his music. I sing along to his Shiva kirtans and bhajans.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sorry, I did not know about Krishna Das. Checked just now.
My 'Ah' moment was when I abandoned deities and turned to 'Advaita' (non-duality). Now I have no problem with deities, they are my friends. Intimate friends, they are always with me. So, my conversion was from theist Hinduism to atheist Hinduism.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Mine was seeing a Nataraja statue for the first time in this life. The actual aha moment was most likely many lifetimes ago. Going to India was very much going home.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Mine was seeing a Nataraja statue for the first time in this life. The actual aha moment was most likely many lifetimes ago. Going to India was very much going home.

I would love to go to India one day. It's a beautiful country, and I just feel so at home whenever I am watching or reading about India. There's a youtuber I used to follow. He quit his job in the states and moved everything to India, and he makes vlogs about it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I would love to go to India one day. It's a beautiful country, and I just feel so at home whenever I am watching or reading about India. There's a youtuber I used to follow. He quit his job in the states and moved everything to India, and he makes vlogs about it.

It has its goods and bads. Some westerners aren't prepared for the culture shock. It's busy, dirty, has dangerous waters for western folk, lots of visible poverty, but beyond all that is great beauty in the people, the temples, the massive humanity.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I went a long, gradual way, from Catholicism to theosophy to Advaita to Buddhism and I ended up with Hare Krishna because it seemed like the best synthesis of it all. The Hare Krishnas use scripture in a similar way like Christians do (at Bible class they told us Hindus had no scripture) so when I found a nice picture of Krishna with a quote from the Bhagavad Gita (Bg. 9.29: I envy no one, nor am I partial to anyone. I am equal to all. But whoever renders service unto Me in devotion is a friend, is in Me, and I am also a friend to him.), I decided that I wanted to be friends with that "foreign" god who seemed so self-confident and serene, so much unlike the Christian god. I do admit the translation is not 100% accurate but it was that quote which struck me and as it was taken from a "scripture" it seemed alright.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn’t have an apple-falling-on-my-head moment. It was a drifting away from Christianity and drifting towards fully adopting Hinduism with an overlap in between.