• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Christians. Was the flood real or just a myth?

Audie

Veteran Member
Doggerland - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerland
Until the middle Pleistocene, Britain was a peninsula of Europe, connected by the massive chalk Weald–Artois Anticline across the Straits of Dover.During the Anglian glaciation, approximately 450,000 years ago, an ice sheet filled much of the North Sea, with a large proglacial lake in the southern part fed by the Rhine, Scheldt and Thames river systems.

It was probably a rich habitat with human habitation in the Mesolithic period,[2] although rising sea levels gradually reduced it to low-lying islands before its final submergence, possibly following a tsunami caused by the Storegga Slide.[3]

Ok that is more in line with my understanding of the history,
and with common sense.

The "flood" that ripped Britain away from the mainland has
as improbable a sound as that the sea burst thro' the
Dardanelles and roared into the Black Sea.

sooda

Veteran Member
@dad @Hockeycowboy

Again. NOT interrupted by catastrophic flooding.

Ubaid period - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubaid_period

The Ubaid period (c. 6500–3800 BC) is a prehistoric period of Mesopotamia. The name derives from Tell al-'Ubaid where the earliest large excavation of Ubaid period material was conducted initially by Henry Hall and later by Leonard Woolley.

In South Mesopotamia the period is the earliest known period on the alluvial plain although it is likely earlier periods exist obscured under the alluvium. In the south it has a very long duration between about 6500 and 3800 BC when it is replaced by the Uruk period.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Evangelicals and Fundamentalists date Noah's flood to 2300 to 2600 BC.
Heck, I'm almost that old. :emojconfused:

Basically very little in the Flood narrative makes sense at the historical and scientific level, but it does make sense at the allegorical and theological level.

sooda

Veteran Member
Heck, I'm almost that old. :emojconfused:

Basically very little in the Flood narrative makes sense at the historical and scientific level, but it does make sense at the allegorical and theological level.

I agree.. Its a tale of redemption.. a recurring theme in the OT.

dad

Undefeated
Evangelicals and Fundamentalists date Noah's flood to 2300 to 2600 BC.
Me too. So? Try to remember that is real-time. In so-called science time I estimate that the flood may have been about 70 million years ago. The way they date things is all based on one unsupportable belief. Nothing else.

sooda

Veteran Member
Me too. So? Try to remember that is real-time. In so-called science time I estimate that the flood may have been about 70 million years ago. The way they date things is all based on one unsupportable belief. Nothing else.

Moses wasn't writing about 70 million years ago.. and Noah wasn't around.

metis

Have you EVER seen such nonsense?
Yes, as I used to receive from some of my students and one of my neighbor's anti-evolution Bible tracts, that not only often contained totally bizarre statements but also so many out-and-out lies.

Unfortunately, all those tracts got destroyed in the Great Flood...

in my basement.

sooda

Veteran Member
Yes, as I used to receive from some of my students and one of my neighbor's anti-evolution Bible tracts, that not only often contained totally bizarre statements but also so many out-and-out lies.

Unfortunately, all those tracts got destroyed in the Great Flood...

in my basement.

Hahaha.. I should have realized you are a teacher... and damned good one I'd bet.

metis

Hahaha.. I should have realized you are a teacher... and damned good one I'd bet.
Thanks, and I truly loved it and my students. I only retired after 36 years because I wanted to do some other things before I croak.

BTW, I asked my students to bring these tracts in to my Anthro course so I could prepare them for the nonsense they likely would run across from fundamentalists. As you might remember, I used to belong to a fundamentalist Protestant church but left it on this basis and also the blatant racism there.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Because as told, it violates natural law.

Who wrote natural law?

So you believe religiously.

You bet. Its called faith. But it isn't just based on a book or a religion. There is so much more to it, that would be wasted on a skeptic who will not believe unless he sees or experiences it himself. No unbeliever can experience God. If you can't "believe" because of the "evidence" that is right under your nose.....then you never will.

I am confident that those who scoff will "believe" by undeniable experience sooner or later. Then what?

dad

Undefeated
Moses wasn't writing about 70 million years ago.. and Noah wasn't around.
Science invented the millions of years and it is based on the belief that this present nature also existed in the past. The dates are no better than that unsupported belief.
I can't help you if you take fantasy seriously. You cannot prove the nature on earth was the same so you have no dates, period.

sooda

Veteran Member
Science invented the millions of years and it is based on the belief that this present nature also existed in the past. The dates are no better than that unsupported belief.
I can't help you if you take fantasy seriously. You cannot prove the nature on earth was the same so you have no dates, period.

The laws of nature haven't changed. They are constant.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
dad, the burden of proof for a claim of a change is on you. If you cannot supply valid evidence then it is not rational to believe that there was such a change.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
dad, the burden of proof for a claim of a change is on you. If you cannot supply valid evidence then it is not rational to believe that there was such a change.

dad

Undefeated
The laws of nature haven't changed. They are constant.
Prove it. Remember that you can't use the universe we see from earth to do that. You need something right here. For example, how can you prove that the ratios of isotopes we see had to have been caused by the present nature?