• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Christians. Was the flood real or just a myth?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
First off, the arch is the curved section of the foot. An ark is a boat.

The Noah story is a retelling of the Sumerian flood myth which was probably inspired by one of the floods that regularly happened in the flood plains of Sumer. A modern example might be a disaster movie based on a worldwide earthquake that destroys human civilization.

I know that.

Instead of thinking from my point of view which is highly anti-christian views. From a modern christians' point of view do you know how they make the connection between the arch (with two sets of each animal, noah, and a flood that wiped out All creation except Niah and his family) not a simple boat and reality that which is recordered in history and historic geological records?

Im asking from a christian view not mine and assuming not yours.

Thermos aquaticus

I know that.

Instead of thinking from my point of view which is highly anti-christian views. From a modern christians' point of view do you know how they make the connection between the arch (with two sets of each animal, noah, and a flood that wiped out All creation except Niah and his family) not a simple boat and reality that which is recordered in history and historic geological records?

Im asking from a christian view not mine and assuming not yours.

It is an ark, not an arch.

There is not singular Christian view. The vast majority of Christians worldwide views the Noah story as an allegory or myth. A minority of Christians view it as a historical event.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It is an ark, not an arch.

There is not singular Christian view. The vast majority of Christians worldwide views the Noah story as an allegory or myth. A minority of Christians view it as a historical event.

Im speaking about those who see it as a historical event (OP question). My views and those seeing it as myths are not what Im referring to. I can get an idea of the historical connection if you are able to entertain the idea there is one between the biblical latter historical event (latter OP option) and reality rather than something such as a myth thats unrelated to my point.

I mispell a lot. If you understand there is no need to correct me. It comes across off.

Thermos aquaticus

I can get an idea of the historical connection if you are able to entertain the idea there is one between the biblical latter historical event (latter OP option) and reality rather than something such as a myth thats unrelated to my point.

They try to connect the majority of geologic formations to this flood, if that is what you are asking about.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Im speaking about those who see it as a historical event (OP question). My views and those seeing it as myths are not what Im referring to. I can get an idea of the historical connection if you are able to entertain the idea there is one between the biblical latter historical event (latter OP option) and reality rather than something such as a myth thats unrelated to my point.

I mispell a lot. If you understand there is no need to correct me. It comes across off.
Historically there was a large flood in the Tigris and Euphrates rivers that may have inspired the story. A person on a boat in the middle it would have seen only water. But as to the story of the whole world being underwater or man being threatened with extinction we know that did not happen.

QuestioningMind

So now you are claiming that God was neither omnipotent nor omniscient. Are you sure that you want to do that?

I don't see how I'm claiming that. In fact, having created Eve naive and gullible and having created a deceptive serpent that He allowed into Eden along with the naive and gullible Eve that He created,it almost sounds as if it was God's intention from the beginning for Eve to be deceived.

Thermos aquaticus

I don't see how I'm claiming that. In fact, having created Eve naive and gullible and having created a deceptive serpent that He allowed into Eden along with the naive and gullible Eve that He created,it almost sounds as if it was God's intention from the beginning for Eve to be deceived.

I liken it to a mother turning on the oven to its highest setting, opening the front of the oven, placing her 3 year old in the kitchen, and then walking away.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
'What "goal" were you thinking of, and whose goal is it?'

I think that you fit it...your wish is to remove God from His rightful position as Creator.
And your evidence for this is ..............?

Some facets of science -- like molecule-to-man evolution, and abiogenesis (the fringe sciences that cant rely on the scientific method) -- fit the mindset, but not all.

I guess I need to put it another way: anything that refuses to acknowledge Jehovah God and His qualities or Word, we refuse to acknowledge as having any veracity. That does not include all science.
Which fields of science do you feel "acknowledge Jehovah God and His qualities or Word"?

By lumping us as "anti-science" when we only find fault with CD and very little else -- that's not honest at all!

That's like calling someone who is anti-Chrysler, "anti-vehicle".
We'll see.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The flood myth, as many myths are, probably had some basis in fact. If you were aware of the history of the Noah's Ark story you would know that the Hebrews copied it from Babylonians who copied it from an earlier people. This is a paper on what may have been an inspiration for the story:

Yes, Noah's Flood May Have Happened, But Not Over the Whole Earth

I believe the Adamic people are an earlier people so are you saying they copied it from themselves or do you think there were other earlier people in the area? I believe God gave Moses the information about the flood.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I believe the Adamic people are an earlier people so are you saying they copied it from themselves or do you think there were other earlier people in the area? I believe God gave Moses the information about the flood.
No, the whole "Adam" concept is a myth. The ancient Hebrews that wrote Genesis copied it from an older source. Moses was a mythical person too. He never existed. There was no exodus from Egypt as portrayed in the Bible.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Eh... if Eve was without obvious flaws why exactly then did God force Adam from Eden just because he loved her? It sounds as if you're suggesting it's God who is flawed.

I believe it is highly unlikely that either Eve or Adam were without flaw. Anytime a spirit enters a new body it takes with it all the bad habits learned from previous lives. What they did not have was a knowledge of evil in their own minds. That is why they were in the garden in the first place to shield them from the evils of the world.

Muffled

Jesus in me
No, the whole "Adam" concept is a myth. The ancient Hebrews that wrote Genesis copied it from an older source. Moses was a mythical person too. He never existed. There was no exodus from Egypt as portrayed in the Bible.

I believe you are making that all up. There is no evidence that any of it is myth.

Thermos aquaticus

I believe you are making that all up. There is no evidence that any of it is myth.

Genetics gives us very strong evidence that the human race was never just two people, nor just 8 people who survived on a boat.

"Tallying up the number of ancestors using this method consistently returns a total minimum population size of about 10,000 individuals: approximately 8,000 ancestors are needed to explain SNP diversity in sub-Saharan Africa, and about 2,000 ancestors for everyone else. SNP diversity in humans is far too large to result from one ancestral couple at any time in the last 200,000 years – we descend from a population."
Adam, Eve, and Human Population Genetics: Signature in the SNPs

Muffled

Jesus in me
There was this big flood and Noah and his family survived the flood in a big boat called an Ark. The story is found in Genesis a few chapters in.

Our planet is still made up of more water than land, and yet there is not a supercontinent.

I believe it will be fun to see what emerges after the end of the world as we know it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Then you are rather ignorant. The evidence is rather clear. Why do you think I would make anything up?

The Moses story relies upon the Exodus myth. The Exodus myth as on the order of two million people leaving Egypt. And wandering for forty years without a clue in desert that shows no sign at all of their presence. When one can find clear evidence of much smaller tribes that tells us that we should find evidence for an immense tribe. A lack of evidence can be evidence against an event if evidence is expected and it is expected that 2 million people would leave a mark somewhere.

Here is a nice starting article on the myth:

The Exodus - Wikipedia

QuestioningMind

I believe it is highly unlikely that either Eve or Adam were without flaw. Anytime a spirit enters a new body it takes with it all the bad habits learned from previous lives. What they did not have was a knowledge of evil in their own minds. That is why they were in the garden in the first place to shield them from the evils of the world.

Apparently it was a very poorly constructed 'shield', because it allowed a deceptive talking serpent into their midst.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Yet God created Eve so naive and gullible that the deceptive talking serpent that God created and allowed into Eden was able to easily convince her to disregard the NO TRESPASSING sign that God put on His tree.

I find Genesis 3:6 informs us that Eve ' saw ' the fruit from the forbidden tree could be eaten.
Eve could have seen animals eat from the fallen fruit and Not die. Possibly birds eat from it and Not die.
Who knows, that ' snake in grass ' ( aka Satan using that serpent like a ventriloquist uses his dummy ) could have make it look like the serpent could talk, and told Eve he could talk because he ate from the fruit.
So, that does Not make Eve naive or gullible, but as 1 Timothy 2:14 says she was ' deceived '.
No doubt this process did Not happen over night, but could possibly have been on-going for years.
Eve could have thus visualized herself as becoming so sort of 'goddess' choosing for herself what was good or bad.
Just as written at James 1:13-15 each person is drawn out by their 'own' desires.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
That is quite a few million years in the future. Of course that depends upon how one defines "the end of the world as we know it".

1 Thessalonians 5:2-3 defines the ' end ' ( of all badness on Earth ) when ' they ' (the powers that be) will be saying, "Peace and Security" as the precursor to the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14 before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, ushers in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.

Not millions of years, but I find we are nearing the soon coming ' time of separation ' on Earth as found at Matthew 25:31-33,37,40. This is soon because the international spreading about the good news about God's kingdom government of Daniel 2:44 is now at the 'final phase' as Jesus said at Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8.

Peace on Earth is why we are all invited to pray the invitation found at Revelation 22:20 for Jesus to come.
As Revelation 22:2 says mankind will see the return of the Genesis ' tree of life ' for the healing of earth's nations.
Then, even enemy death will be No more on Earth as mentioned at 1 Corinthians 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8.