• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Christians. Was the flood real or just a myth?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I myself said only that I believed a flood happened that inspired the countless stories about it and I explicitly said I did not think it happened as legends about that event describe!! I'm not even Christian so I have no stake in it being literal truth.

And yet you come around and insist on replying to me as if I had said it happened as recorded in the book of Genesis when I pretty much explicitly stated I was not making that case!! It strikes me as rude.

I somehow got the impression that the subject was the flood of Genesis. My bad.

So your point was only that a flood occurred in the past? OK, good point. I've seen a few myself, so I'm not totally surprised that floods may have been seen by others before me, but thanks for the heads up.

Incidentally, a tip: Don't forget all caps, underlining, italicizing, and using a giant font for emphasis in addition to bold and multiple ... exclamation points!!

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
The myth of the Great Flood exists in many different religions, not just Judaism and Christianity. So the Flood itself is very likely a true event. The ark on the other hand seems a bit exaggerated - it would have been too big to construct and float and how would the few people (Noah's family?) manage so many animals and where did they get all the animals? Where there any kangaroos for instance?

That is a very human viewpoint and not in accord with scripture.
Why do you think that a powerful being did not just wipe out the infidels and just protect Noah? Why did he need to flood the world and destroy all life except for what was on a vessel?

To answer that question you have to understand what circumstances led to him to do that. Rebel spirit beings, materialised human form and cohabited with "the daughters of men", whom they found attractive, according to Genesis ch6...."all whom they chose".

Since spirit beings are A-sexual, this was an unnatural mating that produced freakish hybrid creatures that were gigantic in size and violent in nature.....and obsessed with sex. These were not "sons of Adam" but humans who had no right to exist. In that environment, wickedness escalated to an excessive degree so in order to keep his purpose on track, God had the only righteous family in existence take the necessary steps to save themselves. In doing so they gave us many examples of why it is necessary to put all our faith in God and not in man.

In doing things the way he did, God showed all of us that sometimes we have to put in extraordinary effort to obey him. Yet God provided the means to carry out all that he asked Noah to do.

The construction would likely have taken decades, but all Noah had to do was follow God's instructions to the letter.
On completion, it was God who brought the animals to the ark, meaning that he personally chose the specimens he wanted to form the nucleus of the post-flood world.

The end result saw a cleansed earth with a new beginning, and God's purpose for the human race re-established. What happened post flood proves that it was only a stop gap measure to prevent wickedness from escalating too quickly. Things are happening now exactly as God said they would, as he brings the object lesson to its ultimate conclusion. But are most humans learning the lesson? Apparently not.

So at the end of the day, we have to ask...."is anything impossible for God? And is anything backed up by the Creator of the universe too difficult for man?" This is what Noah's story teaches us. Jesus used it as an example of what is to come. Another thorough cleansing of this earth is due, but this time it will not be by water. (Matthew 24:37-39)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Pretending to know more than one in fact knows is unseemly:
  1. There were not a lot of buildings to move back 7400 - 5600 BCE.
  2. How fast the water was moving remains a matter of scientific debate, not fact.

No, the models given allow us to calculate how fast the water moved. There was nothing unseemly in my post. Please note that the rate of water entering would have to be orders of magnitude higher to account for a flood that one could not leave behind. If one wants to claim that that occurred then one must explain why the evidence of that massive flow is not observed. Massive amounts of flowing water leaves evidence behind. In my state we have the Channeled Scablands:

https://parks.state.wa.us/225/Ice-Age-floods-in-Washington

These events are quite often datable too. The dates of local floods vary, disqualifying them from being a worldwide flood.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Not just Israelite, but a Assyrian and Babylonian and a whole host of other cultures.

To my knowledge, the river valley would not flood to the extent it would cause people to believe the whole world had flooded. The biggest archaeological record of a flood in that region that I can find with a search engine is ten feet deep. That's not really a level of flooding I could see of having inspired that many different myths throughout local oral histories about a worldwide flood.
Good grief! :facepalm:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
No, the models given allow us to calculate how fast the water moved. ...
Really?

A February 2009 article reported that the flooding might have been "quite mild".[21]

A 2012 study based on process length variation of the dinoflagellate cyst Lingulodinium machaerophorum shows no evidence for catastrophic flooding.[22]

A 2016 study reviewed the evidence accumulated and reaffirmed the catastrophic scenario (Project: DO02-337 "Ancient coastlines of the Black Sea and conditions for human presence", sponsored by Bulgarian Scientific Fund).[23]

[ibid]

But you, apparently, know best. We are bless having such preeminent expertise at our disposal. Perhaps you would be willing to refute the 2016 study.

ronandcarol

Premium Member
For Christians. Was the flood real or just a myth?
I believe the flood was as real as the Bible says it was, as real as 600 thousand Israelites walking across the Red Sea on dry ground. And as real as Jesus defeating death on the cross and rising three days later! And for those eyewitnesses that confirm the stories of Jesus and the stories of Moses, Noah and all of the other prophets in the Bible, so that we to can believe today! It just takes faith.
ronandcarol

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
\

Yes, really. I have done so in the past with the article that you linked.

But you, apparently, know best. We are bless having such preeminent expertise at our disposal. Perhaps you would be willing to refute the 2016 study.

What makes you think that they would disagree with me? Don't be misled by such words as "rapidly". One must understand the context that they are used in.

From the article that you linked:

"The transgression was fast and took no longer than a couple of decades."

In other words they claimed that it was even slower than I did when I calculated how fast it advanced using a one year time for transgression. Now you have slowed it to the point that a snail might be able to escape the flood.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
When I was a kid growing up as a Catholic I was taught the flood was real. Then in the playground as children we would talk about "common knowledge" that fish are even found in the desert when you go digging giving credence to a global flood story. I needed evidence then and more so now. As a kid that would all be fairly convincing but learned that that want quite how it works.

I can identify with that because, as a kid I too accepted the flood story without question, but as I was exposed to science, it made me question a lot of what I was taught...and rightly so.

As I learned archeology, paleantology and geology sciences over the years I found that a global flood story that happened in the same period is not accurate. There was actually an ice age and several mass extinctions not just one, and the animals had enough time to evolve every time there was another mass extinction.

I heard all that too, but I realized that the evidence supporting all that supposition was based on human calculations. On further investigation of evolution and geology and archeology, I came to understand that science can never claim to have real facts about any of it unless their evidence is substantiated. Because a lot of it can never be truly substantiated, the next discovery might just overturn everything they were formerly led to believe. I don't trust science on that basis...or should I say I trust science a whole lot less than I trust the Creator. :p

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
I can identify with that because, as a kid I too accepted the flood story without question, but as I was exposed to science and it made me question a lot of what I was taught...and rightly so.

I heard all that too, but I realized that the evidence supporting all that supposition was based on human calculations. On further investigation of evolution and geology and archeology, I came to understand that science can never claim to have real facts about any of it unless their evidence is substantiated. Because a lot of can never be truly substantiated, the next discovery might just overturn everything they were formerly led to believe. I don't trust science on that basis...or should I say I trust science a whole lot less than I trust the Creator. :p
For over a hundred years nobody has has been able to falsify evolution or produce a valid testable alternative. For obvious reasons, animals popping out of the ground fully formed is not testable, there is plenty
to look for though. The theory of evolution, like may good science is falsifiable, but like the theory of relativity, further testing merely confirms our theories and understanding of evolution.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When the Bible writers were inspired to record their contributions to scripture, everything they wrote was "beneficial for teaching for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness." (2 Timothy 3:16)
There's no reason that a mythology, such as Noah's Flood can't be useful for teaching, etc. In fact that is what makes a good mythology. They may have been inspired to speak using mythological language for the sake of teaching. I think that is a very good way to understand it, in fact.

When humans take it upon themselves to interpret scripture according to their own understanding, then that is when division begins to appear and unity goes out the window.
But this is nonsense. All humans interpret everything they read, including scripture. And since when is uniformity in thoughts and ideas a definition of unity? Unity requires differences. Uniformity requires you all think and believe, and interpret exactly 100% the same. It eliminates differences, not unite them. If you don't understand anything else, understand that.

The jury is all those who claim to be Bible believing Christians. Not all "speak in agreement"...do they?
They don't need to speak 100% in agreement. When it comes to understanding the Bible, there are hundreds of thousands of ways to understand it. That's what makes it so useful.

If you are expecting a church that has no divisions in thought, you're going to land in a cult.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
For over a hundred years nobody has has been able to falsify evolution or produce a valid testable alternative. For obvious reasons, animals popping out of the ground fully formed is not testable, there is plenty
to look for though. The theory of evolution, like may good science is falsifiable, but like the heirs of relativity, further testing merely confirms our theories and understanding.

I guess so...if you want them to. There have been many theories proven by science...like germ theory and gravity. We know that both exist beyond a shadow of doubt because we can see what happens under a microscope and what results when we drop something from a great height. These things are testable.

Evolution OTOH, is not provable by any scientific method that demonstrates beyond question that what science assumes to have taken place in the dim dark past, is actually true. They have a theory and the power of suggestion, and great diagrams, but not much in the way of actual evidence that was not interpreted to fit that theory.

People have this notion of the Creator as some kind of great wizard in the sky 'poofing' things into existence.
That is not the way the Bible portrays events. "Creationists" who insist on a literal 7 day creation period have done much to perpetuate that myth.

Genesis has condensed what is a very long period of time (millions or even billions of years) into a few verses. It wasn't necessary for him to go into detail at that point as it was always his intention for man to discover science for himself. He has a natural curiosity about those things. The creative periods were eons, not just days. Science at least can prove that.

To Bible believers though, we have reason to doubt what man says when it conflicts with what God says. We believe that there is another power behind the scenes manipulating the thinking of many who in their own hearts want to get rid of God (and all that goes with him) and do as they please. Humans are basically selfish and 'doing their own thing' is all they seem to care about. Hedonism has taken over the western world but sadly I do not see any benefits from it. :(

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I guess so...if you want them to. There have been many theories proven by science...like germ theory and gravity. We know that both exist beyond a shadow of doubt because we can see what happens under a microscope and what results when we drop something from a great height. These things are testable.

Actually no theory is ever "proven" at least not in a mathematical sense in the world of science. But if you want to claim that the germ theory of disease and the theory of gravity are "proven" then by the same standards so is the theory of evolution.

Evolution OTOH, is not provable by any scientific method that demonstrates beyond question that what science assumes to have taken place in the dim dark past, is actually true. They have a theory and the power of suggestion, and great diagrams, but not much in the way of actual evidence that was not interpreted to fit that theory.

Again, that applies to all theories. The fact is that their is only scientific evidence for the theory of evolution and no scientific evidence for creationism. If you do not understand the theory you should be asking questions instead of making such obviously false claims.

People have this notion of the Creator as some kind of great wizard in the sky 'poofing' things into existence.
That is not the way the Bible portrays events. "Creationists" who insist on a literal 7 day creation period have done much to perpetuate that myth.

Genesis has condensed what is a very long period of time (millions or even billions of years) into a few verses. It wasn't necessary for him to go into detail at that point as it was always his intention for man to discover science for himself. He has a natural curiosity about those things. The creative periods were eons, not just days. Science at least can prove that.

To Bible believers though, we have reason to doubt what man says when it conflicts with what God says. We believe that there is another power behind the scenes manipulating the thinking of many who in their own hearts want to get rid of God (and all that goes with him) and do as they please. Humans are basically selfish and 'doing their own thing' is all they seem to care about. Hedonism has taken over the western world but sadly I do not see any benefits from it. :(

Creationists only have themselves to blame for that. Though how God did it according to their beliefs may be beyond them, finding scientific evidence that supports their beliefs should not be, if they truly believed in what they preach.

To have scientific evidence one must first have as a bare minimum a testable hypothesis. When creationists form a falsifiable hypothesis then they may be able to begin to claim that they have evidence. Until they do they have nothing.[/quote]

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
There's no reason that a mythology, such as Noah's Flood can't be useful for teaching, etc. In fact that is what makes a good mythology. They may have been inspired to speak using mythological language for the sake of teaching. I think that is a very good way to understand it, in fact.

There is no reason to assume that it is mythology.....you can think that if you like, but if Jesus and other Bible writers made reference to Noah and the flood, then I have no reason to doubt it. It doesn't alter the lessons of the account.
If you don't wish to accept it as fact...then I can't see anyone with a big stick forcing you to.
Just_Cuz_15.gif

All humans interpret everything they read, including scripture.

And yet not all can interpret the Bible the way God wants them to. Nothing new there....look what the Pharisees did to the law. Look what Christendom has done with the relationship of God to his son. :confused:

And since when is uniformity in thoughts and ideas a definition of unity?

Since the existence of a people who all purport to worship the same God. The nation of Israel for example had one set of laws and one set of beliefs that were prescribed by God. Conformity to those laws and beliefs is what united God's nation. It wasn't optional to obey those laws. Penalties applied if you didn't.

Unity requires differences. Uniformity requires you all think and believe, and interpret exactly 100% the same. It eliminates differences, not unite them. If you don't understand anything else, understand that.

That is not what the Bible teaches. Unity of belief defends the brotherhood from those who wish to impose personal interpretation. Causing division amongst the brethren is something God hates. (Proverbs 6:16; 2 John 10-11) He stresses unity. The devil wants disunity and confusion.
14k8gag.gif

They don't need to speak 100% in agreement. When it comes to understanding the Bible, there are hundreds of thousands of ways to understand it. That's what makes it so useful.

You see Christendom and think the disagreement is useful? I wonder if God does? :shrug:
There are going to be a lot of disappointed Christians come the judgment. (Matthew 7:21-23)

If you are expecting a church that has no divisions in thought, you're going to land in a cult.

Then Jesus was the leader of a cult....and I would have joined....would you? :)

whirlingmerc

The jury seems to be out on this question among those who identify as Christians.....so was the flood a real event or was it just a dramatized myth with a message?

God commanded Noah: “Make for yourself an ark out of wood of a resinous tree.”Genesis 6:14.

Some might be familiar with children's storybook illustrations like this...

images

But what is exactly is an ark?

This ark was not a ship, as some assume. It had neither bow nor stern, keel nor rudder—no bends or curves. It was basically a great chest, or box.

More like this....

images

God gave Noah the precise dimensions of the ark, some details regarding its design, and directions to coat it inside and out with tar. And he told Noah why: “Here I am bringing the deluge of waters upon the earth . . . Everything that is in the earth will expire.” However, Jehovah gave this direction to Noah: “You must go into the ark, you and your sons and your wife and your sons’ wives with you.” Noah was also to bring representatives of all kinds of animals. Only those aboard the ark could survive the coming Deluge!—Genesis 6:17-20.

Have we ever stopped to imagine the size of this vessel?
This replica built to Biblical specifications gives us some idea....

images

Noah faced a gigantic task. This ark was to be enormous—some 437 feet (133 m) long, 73 feet (22 m) wide, and 44 feet (13 m) tall. It was far larger than the largest seagoing wooden ships built even in modern times. Did Noah back off from this assignment, complain about its challenges, or alter the details to make it easier on himself? The Bible answers: “Noah proceeded to do according to all that God had commanded him. He did just so.”Genesis 6:22.

The work took decades, perhaps 40 to 50 years. There were trees to fell, logs to haul, and beams to hew, shape, and join. The ark was to have three stories, or decks, a number of compartments, and a door in the side. Evidently, there were windows along the top, as well as a roof that likely peaked in the middle with a slight pitch so that water would run off.—Genesis 6:14-16.

6d6c1ffd3012dbce5f777c610a37e196--worship-ideas-cats.jpg

On completion of this assignment God told Noah....“Go, you and all your household, into the ark.” At the same time, God told Noah to take all the varieties of animals into the ark—by sevens in the case of the clean ones, fit for sacrificial use, and the rest by twos.—Genesis 7:1-3.

It is assumed by many that just two of every animas that God brought to Noah went on board the ark, but animals designated as "clean" (i.e. suitable for sacrifice and later for food) were taken in by sevens. That was three breeding pairs and one for sacrifice (which is what Noah did upon disembarking from the ark to thank his God for preserving his family alive through such a cataclysmic event.)

It must have been an unforgettable sight. From the horizon they streamed in by the hundreds—walking, flying, crawling, waddling, lumbering—all in a dizzying variety of sizes, shapes, and dispositions. We need not imagine poor Noah trying to corral, wrangle, or somehow cajole all those wild animals into entering the confined space of the ark. The account says that “they went in . . . to Noah inside the ark.”Genesis 7:9.

And since dinosaurs were long extinct before man came on the scene, there were no dinosaurs on the ark.

Some skeptics might ask: ‘How could such a thing happen? And how could all those animals coexist peacefully in a confined space?’ Consider this: Is it really beyond the power of the Creator of the universe to control his animal creations, even render them tame and docile if needed? Remember, Jehovah is the God who parted the Red Sea and made the sun stand still. Could he not carry out every event described in Noah’s account?

Excerpts from 2013 WATCHTOWER. Pics from Google

real... and likely had a rudder and somewhat bent not boxy because of the problems with pressure

Grandliseur

Assuming only a single layer and given an average grain size of 0.1mm across that gives 100,000,000 grains of sand
You actually did the math! Funny indeed. :D:D:D

Isn't exaggeration what makes things seem funny?! As in, "It rained cats and dogs." (I hope not)

idav

Being
Premium Member

So question, if you don't take the 7 day thing literal doesn't that kind of apply to the flood 40 days and nights are not literal?

Earth sciences all fly in the face of such a notion, not to mention that the flood story is a portrayal of another older story of Gilgamesh.

Gilgamesh - Wikipedia