• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Christians Only: The Big Picture

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Wow, what obfuscation!

I was talking about death as a subject, not “Rome”, etc.
You said that we need Romans to explain Genesis. I said that that the writers of Genesis were unaware of the future Romans to whom a future Paul wrote a future letter. Not obfuscation. Your misunderstanding.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
You said that we need Romans to explain Genesis. I said that that the writers of Genesis were unaware of the future Romans to whom a future Paul wrote a future letter. Not obfuscation. Your misunderstanding.

Wish you well. Hope you find your answers to be beneficial, my cousin.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

Then I am bemused by your continuing and very hostile responses.....a need to be "right" perhaps? Or is that just me? :shrug:

I have a feeling that you need to flash credentials.....that the "don't you know who I am?" card is being waved at me from behind the computer. :D It wouldn't be the first time.

Was Jesus a scholar by Jewish standards? Were any of his 12 apostles educated men? What does a person's educational standards have to do with Christianity? Its about the heart, not the intellect or how many degrees one has. (Luke 10:21)

Let's allow God to show us all who is "right"......because your life and my life...and the lives of all people living in this "time of the end", depend on us getting this "right". We have one shot. You have taken yours and I have taken mine. Those reading will make up their own minds.

There is no need to continue this hostile exchange. I have stated my beliefs and yours are duly noted.

All the best....

sooda

Veteran Member
Then I am bemused by your continuing and very hostile responses.....a need to be "right" perhaps? Or is that just me? :shrug:

I have a feeling that you need to flash credentials.....that the "don't you know who I am?" card is being waved at me from behind the computer. :D It wouldn't be the first time.

Was Jesus a scholar by Jewish standards? Were any of his 12 apostles educated men? What does a person's educational standards have to do with Christianity? Its about the heart, not the intellect or how many degrees one has. (Luke 10:21)

Let's allow God to show us all who is "right"......because your life and my life...and the lives of all people living in this "time of the end", depend on us getting this "right". We have one shot. You have taken yours and I have taken mine. Those reading will make up their own minds.

There is no need to continue this hostile exchange. I have stated my beliefs and yours are duly noted.

All the best....

No its about intellect.. Human being have to rise above being dumb animals.

sojourner

Then I am bemused by your continuing and very hostile responses.....a need to be "right" perhaps? Or is that just me
It’s just you. I don’t “need to be right.” But I know good exegesis when I see it, and I know when something is off base. Yours is off base. It has nothing to do with what you believe about the texts. It does have everything to do with what you know about the texts. You need that head knowledge regarding the texts, because we don't have access to Jesus or the Church Fathers and mothers. They can’t tell us what they meant, so we have to employ critical disciplines in order to discover what they meant in these ancient writings, through a certain discipline of textual study.

Was Jesus a scholar by Jewish standards
Yes. Jesus was a Rabbi.

What does a person's educational standards have to do with Christianity
See above. Who do you think translated the texts from these ancient languages into modern English? Scholars. Who has the discipline and knowledge to develop theological constructs based on the texts that make sense? Scholars. My NT prof read the NT from Koine Greek, translating it into English in church, on the fly. He has been on a few translation teams. That takes a certain educational standard. I’d trust his translational skills more than yours. Why? Because he has the education to do it right. When all we have are these ancient writings, you better believe we need people with the right education to be able to translate them for us.

Its about the heart, not the intellect or how many degrees one has
When exegeting the texts, it is an intellectual thing and not a heart thing.

Let's allow God to show us all who is "right"......because your life and my life...and the lives of all people living in this "time of the end", depend on us getting this "right".
If it’s about getting it right, then by golly let’s trust the ones whom God has called by virtue of their intellect and education to do that work.

sojourner

If you say so....but that's not what Jesus said. (Luke 10:21)
It has been shown by biblical scholars that this particular quotation is not authentic to Jesus. It’s a later interpolation. I wrote a paper on this exact pericope. I did extensive research. Jesus most likely did not say this.

So much for what “Jesus said...”