• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Christians ... a question I've had for a long time

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
For those of you who believe in a physical resurrection, which body do you get? Do you get your aged aching body you died in, or the one where you were at your healthiest, or do you get a free choice, or some other answer?
My understanding is that you get a new body that looks like the one you have but fully spiritual and without the effects of aging or the consequences of the cursed ground.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
My understanding is that you get a new body that looks like the one you have but fully spiritual and without the effects of aging or the consequences of the cursed ground.
Thanks, Ken. That would have been my guess. It would seem rather hellish to have your cancer ridden aging body ... the one you may have been buried in.

What do you mean by 'fully spiritual'?

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
For those of you who believe in a physical resurrection, which body do you get? Do you get your aged aching body you died in, or the one where you were at your healthiest, or do you get a free choice, or some other answer?

1 Corinthians 15:39-49

So says Paul. But what he means exactly...

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I always found that belief strange for me, back when I was part of a group which of course believed it. Even then I tried to understand it literally like them, but it seemed too fantastical understood that way. Never really made sense to me.

But playing with the idea, if the 'resurrection' was something more akin to a subtle-body, which I suppose I could go with that as part of some overall progressive spiritual path transcending flesh itself, which one can experience here now already through training, such a the deeper aspects of the martial arts, then I'd surmise it's pretty much whatever mood you're in at that moment. :) If you feel energetically inspired, you're 18 again. If you're moved to feel mid-life, you're mid life again. In a way, we do that now as we get older.

Rising from the grave with the body you had in this life, seems wrong. It's more a wish to continue to hold onto the ego. It's more an Atman project, an avoidance of surrender. The afterlife, should be after this life, not still clinging to it and this body and identity. The soul does not want to move on. It wants to bring this life with it into the next life. It's not surrender.

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Thanks, Ken. That would have been my guess. It would seem rather hellish to have your cancer ridden aging body ... the one you may have been buried in.

What do you mean by 'fully spiritual'?

At this point, it is just a theological position as the Bible doesn't speak specifically about the resurrected body. The assumption is that it has the same capacity as the body of Jesus Christ. You can eat, you can touch and yet you have a capacity to walk through a shut door.

LOL

Again.. PURELY a debatable theological thought. :) a Heavenly yet physical body.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
The traditional answer is that you get a gloried body. It will be physical, but immortal and free from all defects. The elect will also be immune to suffering. (Impassibility).

rational experiences

Veteran Member
A human is a healthy man.

Heavens is encoded to image and voice. Recorded living life. Heavens we knew owned lived living life recorded.

Man human says by an image of a story of visions images voices his bio life given stigmata.

In the self owned interactive vision.

Sacrifice stops.

If you are still living you might be healthy.
You might be healthy yet unhealthy or you died.

Not because of your own body image recording but because the spirit gas burning used for ground sciences fell out of heaven. And it attacked it's man scientist designer.

Why the story was taught.

Baptism holy water our life heavens.

Reflective images not attacking us is owned naturally in self presence.

Most humans never see any spirit image.

lukethethird

unknown member
Mine's going to burn for an eternity so I imagine some kind of asbestos derivative.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Is this for Christians only? If so I will keep my mouth shut although I do have a belief about what kind of body those Christians and all people will be getting. Some of my belief is based upon what the Bible says, which actually concurs with Baha'i beliefs, according to how I interpret the Bible verses.

74x12

Assuming you mean the resurrection of the just. It will be a glorified body equal to the bodies of angels. (Matthew 22:30)

A good description is probably like the angel in Daniel 10:6 or even Jesus own description in Revelation 1:12-16.

Different people will probably shine with varying degrees of brightness like stars. (Daniel 12:3) I imagine no one will outshine Jesus Christ.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
It cannot be physical and immortal because all physical bodies are subject to decomposition.
I agree, not immortal.
But, a fleshly ie., physical person could live forever.
Even now, our bodies ( healthy ones ) renew their cellular makeup ie., atoms about every 7 years. Unfortunately, we age & lose that ability. Now, anyways. There's no reason that God couldn't make that permanent, as was His purpose w/ Adam & Eve. Their rebellion -- and the resulting issues it raised --messed that up, but it didn't change His purpose.... only postponed it.

Jesus' ransom sacrifice makes God's original aim for humans, possible.

Hope you are doing well, my cousin.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Is this for Christians only? If so I will keep my mouth shut although I do have a belief about what kind of body those Christians and all people will be getting. Some of my belief is based upon what the Bible says, which actually concurs with Baha'i beliefs, according to how I interpret the Bible verses.
Yes, just a curious question for Christians. I trust Christians about Christian beliefs.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
In Scripture all the resurrections that Jesus performed were: healthy physical resurrections.
It would seem that an aged body would be healthy in a younger version of that person but still be able to recognize that person.
One person said to me (he lived to be 100 years old) that he would simply pin on a picture of his younger self if he came back aged !

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
It cannot be physical and immortal because all physical bodies are subject to decomposition.
I find the Bible teaches that Adam was mortal and his body was Not subject to decomposition because Adam could live forever.
Adam could only loose his ' everlasting life ' if he deliberately broke God's law.
In the physical resurrection people will have the same offer, the same opportunity to live forever on Earth as Adam had before his downfall.
Remember: angels are also mortals. Instead of earth, they can live forever in heaven as long as they obey God.
Sinner Satan is mortal and wicked. The wicked will be ' destroyed forever ' - Psalms 92:7; Psalms 104:35.
Jesus will destroy wicked sinner Satan - Hebrews 2:14 B.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
In this world of imperfection and time. In the post resurrection world time as we know it no longer applies. Further, given the powers of God as understood in Christian tradition, it is not a stretch of the imagination to accept that this god is capable of granting physical immortality. After all, given the Christian tradition, Christ himself (along with our Lady) already has this immorality.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Immortal means living forever; never dying or decaying.
It is impossible for a physical body to live forever.
Why would you even want a physical body that lives forever?
Mortal Adam was given a physical body that could live forever on Earth.
Not a polluted Earth but a beautiful paradisical Earth to enjoy forever.
Yes, immortal is death proof, can't die.
Humans nor Angels were created as immortal / death proof.
Humans are mortal and can live forever on Earth.
Angels are mortal and can live forever in Heaven.

The only exception is for people like those of Luke 22:28-30; Daniel 7:18 who are called to reign with Jesus -> Revelation 20:6; 2:10