• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Chrisitans Only: Matthew 5:38-39

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Bree, as a JW, agrees with me when he says "'Eye for Eye' describes punishment in return for an injury or offense; retributive action.". do you disagree with him?
Many people think eye for eye is 'revenge' but that is Not the biblical stand.
Revenge is more than retributive action.
I someone stole something from you they would have to return it; equal compensation for it.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I find you can find information at www.jw.org
If you like, in the on-line library put ' eye for an eye ' in the search box.
Remember: the Encyclopedia Britannica is Not a religious book but man's book, man's viewpoint.
Also, does retributive have to mean retaliatory as in revenge _______
Even the un-intentional manslayer had protection in one of the cities of refuge from the 'Avenger' (Not revenger of blood)
I did what you said and this it what it said wrt 'eye for an eye' meaning it being retribution for a crime....
What Does “an Eye for an Eye” Mean in the Bible? (jw.org)
Misconceptions about the “eye for an eye” rule

Fact: The rule did not authorize a heavy-handed, cruel application of justice. Rather, when properly applied, it meant that qualified judges would impose retribution for an offense only after first considering the circumstances involved and the extent to which the offense was deliberate.

No, but maybe one or more of the scholars responsible for writing the 'eye for an eye' entry had theological degrees. In any case they would all be experts in an appropriate field. The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica

Religion does not do English, English scholars who work for Encyclopedia Britannica do English, retaliation is a form of retribution, retribution is a form of retaliation.
Encyclopaedia Britannica
eye for an eye | law

eye for an eye, in law and custom, the principle of retaliation for injuries or damages.

You are talking about context, words like retribution, retaliation, etc., in the context of biblical law is not about lawless revenge, it is about imposing retribution under the law for an offense.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I someone stole something from you they would have to return it; equal compensation for it.
No one is talking about unlawful retaliation/retribution. Context is everything, so far as the biblical law was concerned, eye for an eye was a retaliative/retributive punishment to fit the crime.

And if they had poked your eye out in the process of stealing that something from you, what could be the likely punishment?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
This exchange between us has never been about any retaliative action/punishment outside Jewish biblical law, it is purely about the biblical standpoint, do you understand?

For example, do you consider there is a retributive principle involved with the possible punishment under biblical law for the crime of prostitution?

Capital punishment in Judaism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Capital punishment in traditional Jewish law has been defined in Codes of Jewish law dating back to medieval times, based on a system of oral laws contained in the Babylonian and Jerusalem Talmud, the primary source being the Hebrew Bible. In traditional Jewish law there are four types of capital punishment: a) stoning, b) burning by ingesting molten lead *, c) strangling, and d) beheading, each of which being the punishment for specific offences.

* Death by burning (שריפה, serefah) was issued for ten offenses, including prostitution and bigamous relations with one's wife and their mother. Perpetrators were not burnt at the stake, but rather molten lead was poured down the perpetrator's esophagus.

Capital punishment in Judaism - Wikipedia

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
This thread is for Christians only. What exactly is meant by Matthew 5:38-39?
click here: Matthew 5:38-39 NIV - Eye for Eye - “You have heard that it - Bible Gateway
" Matthew 5:38-39"

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.

Which denomination from the 45000+ denominations of the Hellenist Pauline Christianity including LDS and JWs do follow it, please? Right?
Is it just for the ears to enjoy it , please? Right?

Regards

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I did what you said and this it what it said wrt 'eye for an eye' meaning it being retribution for a crime....
No, but maybe one or more of the scholars responsible for writing the 'eye for an eye' entry had theological degrees. In any case they would all be experts in an appropriate field...................Religion does not do English, English scholars who work for Encyclopedia Britannica................

Of course we know the Bible was Not originally written in English.
In mid 60's in high school the library had several sets of encyclopedias.
Being curious I would open up each one dealing with the study subject at hand.
To my wide-eyed surprise the Britannica did Not always match the rest.
Plus, the Britannica,etc. are Not religious books just men looking at things from man's view instead of biblical view.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
" Matthew 5:38-39"
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.
Which denomination from the 45000+ denominations of the Hellenist Pauline Christianity including LDS and JWs do follow it, please? Right?
Is it just for the ears to enjoy it , please? Right? Regards

Remember a 'slap on the cheek' is a challenge to a fight, to provoke a fight, instigate a fight.
We are Not speaking about self defence as being wrong, but No need to do anything about being insulted by a slap.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
No one is talking about unlawful retaliation/retribution. Context is everything, so far as the biblical law was concerned, eye for an eye was a retaliative/retributive punishment to fit the crime.
And if they had poked your eye out in the process of stealing that something from you, what could be the likely punishment?

A trial. The judges were to do the evaluation - Deuteronomy 1:16 - the court and Not the victim.
Judges will judge - Deuteronomy 16:18 - for the purpose of equal justice that punishment should correspond to the crime and Not to exceed it.
Equal justice for all rich or poor and No accepting of any bribes - Leviticus 19:15; Deut. 16:19
The human judges were to use God's judgement and be a ' just judge ' and Not go beyond what was necessary.
- Psalms 82

P.S. At the coming time of Matthew 25:31-34 Jesus as Judge and King will carry out justice.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Of course we know the Bible was Not originally written in English.
In mid 60's in high school the library had several sets of encyclopedias.
Being curious I would open up each one dealing with the study subject at hand.
To my wide-eyed surprise the Britannica did Not always match the rest.
Plus, the Britannica,etc. are Not religious books just men looking at things from man's view instead of biblical view.

Eye for an eye
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the principle of retributive justice.

"An eye for an eye" (Biblical Hebrew: עַיִן תַּחַת עַיִן, Ain takhat ain)[a] is a commandment found in the Book of Exodus 21:23–27 expressing the principle of reciprocal justice measure for measure. In Roman civilization, the law of retaliation (Latin: lex talionis) bears the same principle that a person who has injured another person is to be penalized to a similar degree by the injured party. In softer interpretations, it means the victim receives the [estimated] value of the injury in compensation. The intent behind the principle was to restrict compensation to the value of the loss.

Eye for an eye - Wikipedia

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
A trial. The judges were to do the evaluation - Deuteronomy 1:16 - the court and Not the victim.
Judges will judge - Deuteronomy 16:18 - for the purpose of equal justice that punishment should correspond to the crime and Not to exceed it.
Equal justice for all rich or poor and No accepting of any bribes - Leviticus 19:15; Deut. 16:19
The human judges were to use God's judgement and be a ' just judge ' and Not go beyond what was necessary.
- Psalms 82

P.S. At the coming time of Matthew 25:31-34 Jesus as Judge and King will carry out justice.
We both agree that biblical eye for an eye justice implies the intent of equal justice, what it seems you do not accept or understand is that equal justice implies the principle of reciprocity, retribution, retaliation, etc..

Leviticus 24:17 Anyone who takes the life of a human being is to be put to death.

Deuteronomy 19:19-21 then do to the false witness as that witness intended to do to the other party. You must purge the evil from among you. The rest of the people will hear of this and be afraid, and never again will such an evil thing be done among you. Show no pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

Leviticus 24:19-22 And whoever causes an injury to a neighbor must receive the same kind of injury in return: Broken bone for broken bone, eye for eye, tooth for tooth.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The time is upon us, it will be an eye for an eye equal retributive justice, Jesus reigns, Satan reaps what was sown.
Notice how King Jesus will judge according to Matthew 25:40
It is by how the 'sheep' and the 'goats' treat Jesus' brothers.( spiritual brothers )

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Notice how King Jesus will judge according to Matthew 25:40
It is by how the 'sheep' and the 'goats' treat Jesus' brothers.( spiritual brothers )
Yes.

And as we note that forgiveness of our sins is conditional on our forgiving those who have sinned against us, it is important for the religious aspirant to not imagine that our all own sins against our fellow human beings are wiped clean just because we are a Christian who believes that Jesus died for our sins.. We must truly forgive all hose people responsible for every hurtful thing done to us throughout our whole life by replacing it with the love of Jesus which fills our heart and allows us to forgive. It's a case of which comes first, the chicken or the egg? The answer they come together, so while we by ourselves can not forgive everyone who has done bad gainst us, but with the love of Jesus in our heart, it becomes possible.

Reflect on all the hurt in your life, have you forgiven everyone?