• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For atheists, imagine you have been transported back in time...

danieldemol

Premium Member
I'm posting this here because I've forgotten how to post in the atheist DIR.

For those who identify as atheist, imagine you have been transported back in time to convince Genghis Khan that rape is wrong using words only. What do you say to him to convince him from an atheist perspective?

And go!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The only way I could convince him that rape is wrong
would be to familiarize myself with whatever code
governs him, & reason from that.
How is this an atheist perspective?
I recognize that morality is not some timeless inerrant
absolutely true thing. It's a product of his culture, his
personality, his beliefs, & his experiences.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
^^^ this
it is difficult to understand the plight of captured women at that time in the Mongol empire. My understanding is they were taken from conquered tribes and given to victorious fighters to marry or uses as servants. Betting it they did not submit voluntarily

Or the mindset of captors, one can only assume, which probably means nothing to the Mongolian fighter. Learn their ways and work with that is the way to go

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

For those who identify as atheist, imagine you have been transported back in time to convince Genghis Khan that rape is wrong using words only. What do you say to him to convince him from an atheist perspective?

And go!

In truth? Nothing. I don't believe I could convince him of that, any more than I could convince him that pacifism was a better path than conquest.
But if you were going to convince him of anything, the first step would be investing enough time and effort into the relationship for him to trust you and listen. 5 or 10 years of riding into battle and killing countless folk might do it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
That it actively harms a human individual
Failing that, the simple empathy route.
How would you feel if you were raped.

You would be well served to say it in English. I suspect that last sentence wouldn't go over well if he could understand you.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That would be like trying to convince the Hells Angels president of the error of their ways.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
You would be well served to say it in English. I suspect that last sentence wouldn't go over well if he could understand you.
English is my native language, afraid to say.
Would my last sentiment cause offence in another tongue?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

And go!

If it could be done, it would take a lot of time.

What I find interesting though is that this question was posed of atheists, lots of ways to interpret that!

ecco

Veteran Member

And go!
First off, I'd really need to convince him that it would be wrong to behead me for my silly attempt to discuss morality with him.

After that, he would behead me.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm wondering how this has anything to do with atheism.

How do you convince anyone who is intent on killing and raping that those activities are wrong? The only way is to appeal to basic human compassion. If that isn't there, then trying to understand the culture and drives and arguing from them is the only possible way to go.

That it actively harms a human individual

I doubt that concept would even exist in his cultural context.

That there is such a thing as an individual, let alone that they have rights, is not something that was common in historical societies.

Would be a bit like trying to convince a modern Secular Humanist that honour killing is good for society. If you lack the cultural concepts in which your argument makes sense then you have nowhere to go.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

And go!

Probably first have to convince him such a thing as rape exists. I don't think they'd understand the concept.

For them, the value of women would be in sex and to provide heirs. I'd try to convince him to let me take 20-30 women, turn them into bloodthirsty warriors that can be used effectively against his enemies.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Sometimes, the target doesn't know the arrow is coming,
nor, the one pulling back the bow !

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Speaking in general, I would look for ways to present rape as against his best interests, along with ways that it benefited him not to rape or allow rape.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
At the best, there, in that time, give him a condom, and run, run, run ! !