• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Atheists: have you done the Beatitudes?

David J

I don't desire the Kingdom of Heaven. I don't even think it exists.

Yes, I try to comfort those who are mourning. Other than that, there is no guarantee those who mourn will be comforted.

I don't want to inherit the Earth.

I try to show mercy. And I yearn for justice.

While purity of heart and being a peacemaker are good goals, I have no interest in your supposed benefit from them.

I have no interest in the Kingdom of Heaven. And I thought the 'poor in spirit' got the Kingdom of Heaven.

Do what? There is no action even suggested here, only consequences.

Thanks

PureX

Veteran Member
NIV:

The Beatitudes

He said:

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,

Very hard if you think about it, I can't do it.
I don't see anything here that suggests that we "do" these things. What I'm seeing is a deliberate reversal of what most people think of as success and failure in life. Jesus is saying that what we think of as being evidence of God's favor, is not. And what we think of as evidence of God's neglect, or scorn, is not, as well. So beware of raising ourselves up, and putting ourselves above others in eyes of God (and in our own). Because that's when we will be the least blessed. Not the more.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You define the standards
You'll need to be less cryptic if you want a cogent reply.
I consider the Beatitudes a vague, but nice, poem of sorts. The Humanist Manifesto is far superior as a moral code.

Luckily, more and more Christians are dumping Scripture as a moral code and adopting secular humanist values. I think that's why people want to come to Christendom, and few people want to move to Communist or Hindu or Muslim countries.
Tom

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Even with a belief in God people cherry pick and reinterpret the Beatitudes to suit themselves.

Take Trump's Wall as an example. Millions of Christians voted for Trump. Do you see anything in the Beatitudes that support walling poor people out of this Christian Nation? I don't.
What I see is Christian folks becoming like the Sodomites.

Tom

But how does scripture about god apply to those who don't follow scripture?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
But how does scripture about god apply to those who don't follow scripture?
There're various ways of putting this.

A stopped clock is correct twice a day.

But the real point is that just because someone in a primitive, religious, culture phrased things in a primitive religious way doesn't make them wrong or irrelevant. Take out the religious parts, and the Beatitudes remain a good moral basis.
Tom

David J

You'll need to be less cryptic if you want a cogent reply.
I consider the Beatitudes a vague, but nice, poem of sorts. The Humanist Manifesto is far superior as a moral code.

Luckily, more and more Christians are dumping Scripture as a moral code and adopting secular humanist values. I think that's why people want to come to Christendom, and few people want to move to Communist or Hindu or Muslim countries.
Tom

Did you follow it?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
NIV:

The Beatitudes

He said:

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,

Very hard if you think about it, I can't do it.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. This always struck me more as promises about blessings that God would bestow, not commandments for any person.

I don't even know how to "bless" someone in a meaningful way. I don't put stock in magic.