• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For anyone proficient in Biblical Hebrew

Jedster

Re: the emboldened in Exodus 2:2

"The woman conceived and bore a son, and [when] she saw him that he was good, she hid him for three months. ב וַתַּ֥הַר הָֽאִשָּׁ֖ה וַתֵּ֣לֶד בֵּ֑ן וַתֵּ֤רֶא אֹתוֹ֙ כִּי־ט֣וֹב ה֔וּא וַתִּצְפְּנֵ֖הוּ שְׁלשָׁ֥ה יְרָח"

What does the כִּי mean in this context?

rosends

The standard understanding is "that" -- she say "that he was good." cf אֲרֵי in the Aramaic.

Check the dictionaries here
Exodus 2:2

and the commentaries which cite other, similar uses (like Gen 1:4 and 6:2).

Jedster

The standard understanding is "that" -- she say "that he was good." cf אֲרֵי in the Aramaic.

Check the dictionaries here
Exodus 2:2

and the commentaries which cite other, similar uses (like Gen 1:4 and 6:2).

Thanks for replying.
From the link you gave, it reads
"The woman conceived and bore a son; and when she saw how beautiful he was, she hid him for three months."

Certainly 'beautiful' is not in the Hebrew and I have seen various translations which convey similar meanings.

I only ask because a Christian friend showed me various translations and was confused by their differences.

I know the words כִּי and ט֣וֹב, but have never seen them combined, so I assumed that the phrase was a way of saying that Moses is special.
{I looked up Rashi who says: that he was good: When he was born, the entire house was filled with light. [From Sotah 12a, Exod. Rabbah 1:20]}

I have another question, does the word אָֽנֹכִ֨י (I am) appear anywhere else in Torah apart from being the first word in the 10 commandments.?

Thanks.

rosends

Thanks for replying.
From the link you gave, it reads
"The woman conceived and bore a son; and when she saw how beautiful he was, she hid him for three months."

Certainly 'beautiful' is not in the Hebrew and I have seen various translations which convey similar meanings.

I only ask because a Christian friend showed me various translations and was confused by their differences.

I know the words כִּי and ט֣וֹב, but have never seen them combined, so I assumed that the phrase was a way of saying that Moses is special.
{I looked up Rashi who says: that he was good: When he was born, the entire house was filled with light. [From Sotah 12a, Exod. Rabbah 1:20]}

I have another question, does the word אָֽנֹכִ֨י (I am) appear anywhere else in Torah apart from being the first word in the 10 commandments.?

Thanks.
The "beautiful" comes from an interpretation of "tov." The Sforno writes, "
The word טוב may be understood as meaning the same as “handsome, beautiful,” the same meaning as in Genesis 6,2 כי טובות הנה, “that they were beautiful.” The word describes something unusually handsome, beautiful. Yocheved thought that this was an omen, a sign from the Creator, telling her that a beautiful exterior encloses an equally beautiful personality." But other commentators have different explanations for "tov" here. For example, the Ramban writes, "the meaning of this goodliness is that she saw in him some unique quality which, in her opinion, foreshadowed that a miracle would happen to him and he would be saved." The Bechor Shor means that "tov" indicates that the infant was fully formed and viable.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Yes, if you're interested in God saying it, it looks like there's an early occurence in Gen 26:24 and basically the same thing in Exo 3:6. However, the Mt. Sinai event seems to be unique in that it appears to be the only time it is "anochi four-letter-name" directly spoken and not through a prophet. There is exo 4:11, but I think it's a little different.

Last edited:

rosends

Gen 30:2 has Ya'akov using it in first person about himself. There are a variety of other people who use in reference to themselves.