1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Footprints oldest evidence of humans in the Americas 23,000 years old

Discussion in 'The Living World' started by shunyadragon, Sep 23, 2021.

1. YoursTrue

YoursTrue Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)

Ratings:
    +1,665
    Religion:
    Christian
  2. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +36,868
    Religion:
    Atheist
    That article started out rather well and then they make claims such as this:

"Likewise, different living things absorb or reject carbon-14 at different rates. Two plants that died at the same moment, but which naturally contained different levels of radiocarbon, could be dated to drastically different times."

That is the sort of claim that requires a highly reliable source. It does not appear to be true. How is a plant supposed to tell the difference. There is a slight difference in how much C13 plants take up from the percentage in the atmosphere. There is probably a similar difference for C14. It is a rather small effect. Saying that it can change the dates requires strong evidence.

3. shunyadragon

shunyadragon shunyadragon
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,154
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Yes?

4. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,154
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    The problem is this is a religious site and it does not have an author to determine if it is written by qualified scientist. There is insufficient information in the article determine that the author knows the contemporary methods of Carbon dating.

I do not consider it a reliable scientific source.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Non-debating member when I can help myself

Ratings:
    +2,523
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Heard of that.

"I can't comment on how reliable the dating is (it is outside my expertise), but firm evidence of humans in North America 23,000 years ago is at odds with the genetics, which clearly shows a split of Native Americans from Asians approximately 15-16,000 years ago," he told BBC News.

"This would suggest that the initial colonists of the Americas were replaced when the ice corridor formed and another wave of colonists came in. We have no idea how that happened."

Hadn't heard that.

#65 Truthseeker, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  6. YoursTrue

Ratings:
    +1,665
    Religion:
    Christian
    :) Thanks for your answer. The subject is related to the concept of religion and reliability of dating methods. There are many questions about the conclusion of when the footprints happened. Als the reliability of the dating method (I agree it may be the best science has devised, but -- from what I read, it certainly has its problems -- questions -- and I see the change of radioactive material can differ greatly even in one source or studied composition.)

7. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,154
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Your assertions of questions and problems, again , as in the article you cited reflects a lack of knowledge of science and a religious agenda, which is unacceptable. Your concept of religion and science does not reflect reality.

This does not negate that there are problems and questions, because that is the given nature of science answering questions and solving problems regardless of whether it is the sciences of medicine or evolution.

• Like Like x 1
  8. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,154
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    One thing not brought up in this discovery is that there were several different migrations from Asia. Later migrations may bave become genetically dominant.

9. SkepticThinker

SkepticThinker Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,953
    What does religion have to do with dating methods?

10. YoursTrue

Ratings:
    +1,665
    Religion:
    Christian
    Again - questions
    I'm looking at a book about Evolution ("Making Sense of Life," subtitle) by Emlen and Zimmer. Do you know anything about it, or how good the authors are?

11. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,154
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    OK

12. YoursTrue

Ratings:
    +1,665
    Religion:
    Christian
    They're ok, meaning you respect their ideas?​