• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football player gets another chance

David1967

Premium Member
Watched this on my local news channel this morning. Apparently, this rising star in the sport of football was caught on video shoving a woman to the floor and then kicking her. Looks like he is getting a "second chance" at a career in football after "extensive research" leads those in charge to think he deserves it. Personally, I think the "extensive research" they speak of is based on this individuals ability to make them lots of money. I don't watch football so my thoughts are based solely on the story this morning. So, do you think he should be eligible to stay on the team or not? Thoughts?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...t-woman/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3754269f5e4a

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Our society has stopped pretending that there isn't a multi-tiered system of "justice" based on fame, wealth, and influence.

Reminds me of a story from a few years back where some star high school basketball players from some small town in the Midwest got arrested for gang rape, and the town became upset with the victim for coming forward because it cost them the championship. And this was the sort of strait-laced, churchy community that wears its morality on its sleeves. Can you believe that ****?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Watched this on my local news channel this morning. Apparently, this rising star in the sport of football was caught on video shoving a woman to the floor and then kicking her. Looks like he is getting a "second chance" at a career in football after "extensive research" leads those in charge to think he deserves it. Personally, I think the "extensive research" they speak of is based on this individuals ability to make them lots of money. I don't watch football so my thoughts are based solely on the story this morning. So, do you think he should be eligible to stay on the team or not? Thoughts?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...t-woman/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3754269f5e4a

Shouldn't we give people a second chance. Should we be willing to forgive when someone wants to make amends?

Like the governor of Virginia in Black Face. Well probably should admit it first, but if we admit the mistake, make amends, shouldn't we forgive what happened in the past?

This tiered system of forgivibility, isn't the problem that poor folks aren't forgiven enough?

Shad

Veteran Member
So, do you think he should be eligible to stay on the team or not? Thoughts?

Nope as I see no evidence that he has changed. Apologizing means nothing as it is part of the status quo of the business. Ergo formal conduct vs genuine. Hunt can not play anyways as he is on the NFL exempt list regardless of the contract with the Browns. More so there is probably a clause in his contract voiding it if Hunt is not removed from the exempt list.

What you see playing out is a loophole in the rules, taking advantage of social outrage and a lack of ethics. The Browns are holding their nose as they can gain an all-star and a projected top 5 RB in NFL history at reduced cost due to off-field and management issue not on-field issues. There is no rule regarding the exempt list and contracts.

David1967

Premium Member
What you see playing out is a loophole in the rules, taking advantage of social outrage and a lack of ethics. The Browns are holding their nose as they can gain an all-star and a projected top 5 RB in NFL history at reduced cost due to off-field and management issue not on-field issue. There is no rule regarding the exempt list and contracts. More so the Brown, being in control, have a clause to cover the exempt list issue.

Well said. I got the feel that this is all about the potential money this player can make for them. The victim is just in their way.

David1967

Premium Member
Yup. An all-star for 1 million/yr....

This sends a very bad message. That if you are good enough at throwing a ball and making someone wealthier, it doesn't matter if you are a violent criminal, heck they'll even make you a millionaire.

Shad

Veteran Member
This sends a very bad message. That if you are good enough at throwing a ball and making someone wealthier, it doesn't matter if you are a violent criminal, heck they'll even make you a millionaire.

Sports often causes people to make exceptions due to talent and profit. The NFL is a niche sport with a high entertainment value which multiples exceptions in comparison to say football (soccer). This applies even at HS level of the football (handball :D)

Last edited: