• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Food Politics : Ukraine/Africa

JIMMY12345

On a Religious forum there is nothing worse than seeing people starve.Ukraine helps feed Africa Egypt and Libya.
Russia will block Ukraine grain exports everywhere.Unless sanctions are lifted.The West will not.The reply will be "Get lost".
Africa should not suffer.If the UN guaranteed with Russian observers that specific ships are allowed bound exclusively for Africa food will NOT stay in silos and be wasted.
Putin might play ball.He is public enemy number one in Europe why add Africa to the list?
Europe/USA is rich and will survive.Like COVID they will buy elsewhere and get first dibs.Some parts of Africa will not.Like COVID vaccines they always come last.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
On a Religious forum there is nothing worse than seeing people starve.Ukraine helps feed Africa Egypt and Libya.
Russia will block Ukraine grain exports everywhere.Unless sanctions are lifted.The West will not.The reply will be "Get lost".
Africa should not suffer.If the UN guaranteed with Russian observers that specific ships are allowed bound exclusively for Africa food will NOT stay in silos and be wasted.
Putin might play ball.He is public enemy number one in Europe why add Africa to the list?
Europe/USA is rich and will survive.Like COVID they will buy elsewhere and get first dibs.Some parts of Africa will not.Like COVID vaccines they always come last.

Well, maybe they can work out some kind of deal to get the grain out.

amorphous_constellation

I've heard they were a big a grain exporter. I don't know, maybe the usa should switch to wheat, if that actually feeds more people. I live in wisconsin, and across this entire state, they grow nothing but corn and soybeans. (I've seen it with my own eyes, traveling up and down the state.) The problem with that, in the case of the corn, is that it probably goes into animal feed, and I don't know how efficient that really is. Seems like a luxury item. If the state grew nothing but wheat, and some other more efficient crop to rotate with it, there might be more yield? But I don't know, maybe meat is where the money is

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
It's My Birthday!
I'm with you all the way.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
It's My Birthday!
I've heard they were a big a grain exporter. I don't know, maybe the usa should switch to wheat, if that actually feeds more people. I live in wisconsin, and across this entire state, they grow nothing but corn and soybeans. (I've seen it with my own eyes, traveling up and down the state.) The problem with that, in the case of the corn, is that it probably goes into animal feed, and I don't know how efficient that really is. Seems like a luxury item. If the state grew nothing but wheat, and some other more efficient crop to rotate with it, there might be more yield? But I don't know, maybe meat is where the money is
It would feed the world in the first place more efficiently if the world ate less meat, and grew more vegetables. Also, as a side note, cattle emit methane which is much more efficient planet warmer than carbon dioxide, though it stays in the atmosphere for a much shorter time.

If the world adopted a plant-based diet we would reduce global agricultural land use from 4 to 1 billion hectares

If everyone shifted to a plant-based diet we would reduce global land use for agriculture by 75%. This large reduction of agricultural land use would be possible thanks to a reduction in land used for grazing and a smaller need for land to grow crops.

Global warming potential - Wikipedia

Global warming potential (GWP) is the heat absorbed by any greenhouse gas in the atmosphere, as a multiple of the heat that would be absorbed by the same mass of carbon dioxide (CO2). GWP is 1 for CO2. For other gases it depends on the gas and the time frame...

Methane has GWP (over 100 years) of 27.9[1]: 7SM-24  meaning that, for example, a leak of a tonne of methane is equivalent to emitting 27.9 tonnes of carbon dioxide. Similarly a tonne of nitrous oxide, from manure for example, is equivalent to 273 tonnes of carbon dioxide.