• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I had food poisoning yesterday. I almost threw up a lung clearing it all up from my system.

The last time I remember having food poisoning I was in fifth grade. My mom had to pick me up from school because I threw up twice. I didn’t want to miss school but they forced me to leave that day. The thing that caused food poisoning then was a chocolate ball I ate the night before.

I am unsure what caused the poisoning yesterday. I had a lot of caffeine yesterday so that could have accelerated it.

They say everyone gets food poisoning. When was the last time you got food poisoning?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I had food poisoning yesterday. I almost threw up a lung clearing it all up from my system.

The last time I remember having food poisoning I was in fifth grade. My mom had to pick me up from school because I threw up twice. I didn’t want to miss school but they forced me to leave that day. The thing that caused food poisoning then was a chocolate ball I ate the night before.

I am unsure what caused the poisoning yesterday. I had a lot of caffeine yesterday so that could have accelerated it.

They say everyone gets food poisoning. When was the last time you got food poisoning?
I hope you are feeling better now!

I do not recall ever having food poisoning.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I remember having a can of spaghetti and meatballs at work, and when I opened it, something seemed wrong about it, like the sauce was somehow separated from the rest of it. But I heated it up and ate it anyway, which I shouldn't have. Gave me a real bad case of diarrhea and gas, causing me to have to remain sitting on the toilet for what seemed like about 2 hours - and I'm not really exaggerating either. I think I expelled enough gas to fill up a Goodyear Blimp.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I hope you have stopped shouting for Hughie. (English joke on the sound made while throwing up,)

As it happens i was struck with something on Friday, i don't know if it was food poisoning or some other gastric problem. I wasn't being sick but stomach was bad and i could **** through the eye of a needle.

It took 3 Racecadotril to stop it. I don't know what they are called in America or even if its available but they are good

exchemist

Veteran Member

The last time I threw up was in 1986, after returning to Dubai from Bombay. It turned out to be giardia, caught from something I had eaten, presumably. So I suppose that was a kind of food poisoning. I got quite dehydrated. By immense good fortune I was going out with a nurse at the time, who took good care of me, got a doctor and put me on a drip. I was prescribed some huge pills, of something called Flagyl (metronidazole) which killed off the little buggers, but made me wake feeling as if I'd slept with an Arab's toe in my mouth.:confused:

I've had one or two poisoning events (with oysters) since then, but nothing that has made me throw up - generally it clears from the other end without so much drama.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
A month ago. I had a cheese spread for crackers. Wife didn't get ill but I did. Several days of feeling punky. Much better now.

Daemon Sophic

There’s really two major methods of getting food “poisoning”. The first is bacteria that have created a toxin in the food, resulting in you actually getting poisoned when you eat it. The onset, for this is pretty quick, usually minutes to a couple hours between eating and vomiting. You can be sick for hours, up to a few days.

The second way is when the bacteria can survive inside of you; so after you eat them, you get an infection. Often this is slower to build, but usually more serious and longer lasting. Such as those famous cases of E. coli 0157 from some fast-food burgers, and unwashed greens, that killed quite a number of children and adults in Seattle 2 decades ago.

Then there are simple, parasitic infections, like Giardia, or the numerous worms that we can pick up. These often result in copious diarrhea, or bloody stools.

I’ve gotten the toxic poisoning kind three times in my life. Once from a McDonald’s breakfast, and twice from Taco Bell. (A smarter person probably would not have tried Taco Bell a second time after the first episode.). :oops::rolleyes:

F1fan

Veteran Member
There’s really two major methods of getting food “poisoning”. The first is bacteria that have created a toxin in the food, resulting in you actually getting poisoned when you eat it. The onset, for this is pretty quick, usually minutes to a couple hours between eating and vomiting. You can be sick for hours, up to a few days.
Right. Bacteria is present in any food, and even if it is put in a fridge the bacteria wilkl grow, albeit slower. The cold slows the reproduction of bacteria so it is safe to eat a few days later. Even if the bacteria grows to a dangerous level some think reheating will kill it, and it does, but as you note the huge colony of bacteria creates toxic chemicals that are intact after they are killed off, so the food is toxic due to these poisons, not the bacteria. I was shocked when I learned that. Crazy universe that the loving God created for us.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I’ve gotten the toxic poisoning kind three times in my life. Once from a McDonald’s breakfast, and twice from Taco Bell. (A smarter person probably would not have tried Taco Bell a second time after the first episode.). :oops::rolleyes:

We got ours from Taco Johns... my son wound up in the hospital for dehydration from all the vomiting.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

When I was in Boy Scouts.

Bad French dressing I think.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I believe now that I didn't have food poisoning but instead had caffeine poisoning. I had three cups of coffee that day and several liters of caffeinated soda. When I threw up, the first thing to go was the soda I had recently drank, that has the caffeine. I have decided to cut back on my caffeine intake and for at least today, I'm not going to have any coffee at all. But that doesn't mean I'm cutting caffeine completely - I'm still drinking soda. But from going on forth now I intend on drinking only one cup of coffee a day. ChatGPT, who is right about everything, has informed me that caffeine poisoning can occur at 400mg a day, and I was well over that limit. So I'm scaling back how much caffeine I drink.

Thanks everybody for your horror stories regarding food poisoning. It's not pleasant but it seems most of us get it at least once on our lives.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe now that I didn't have food poisoning but instead had caffeine poisoning. I had three cups of coffee that day and several liters of caffeinated soda. When I threw up, the first thing to go was the soda I had recently drank, that has the caffeine. I have decided to cut back on my caffeine intake and for at least today, I'm not going to have any coffee at all. But that doesn't mean I'm cutting caffeine completely - I'm still drinking soda. But from going on forth now I intend on drinking only one cup of coffee a day. ChatGPT, who is right about everything, has informed me that caffeine poisoning can occur at 400mg a day, and I was well over that limit. So I'm scaling back how much caffeine I drink.

Thanks everybody for your horror stories regarding food poisoning. It's not pleasant but it seems most of us get it at least once on our lives.

Yeah, that can happen. Be careful, and I hope you feel better soon!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Late 80s....some of us got tuna grinders near my office.
I don't remember the symptoms, but we did remember
to never order those again.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Myself and a few friends all got the nasties (variable as to ends) from a Fish and Chippy after an evening's drinking. Just punishment no doubt for our evil ways. :oops: But the worst for me probably was whilst looking after my elderly mother, who had dementia, and just prior to her going into a care home. Where hygiene was rather difficult to maintain at home and hence the transfer.