• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Food intolerances, sensitivities and allergies

evearael

I know there are several members on this forum with various food intolerances, sensitivities and allergies. I want to discuss various topics like symptoms, diagnosis, foods and their derivatives you need to avoid, lifestyle changes and challenges.

I am starting to strongly suspect my daughter and myself have a corn intolerance, which is daunting because corn is in just about everything in one form or another.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I don't have any food intolerances, sensitivities or allergies, what I'm aware of. But I am curious what has made you suspect you and your daughter have a corn intolerance, if you don't mind sharing.

xexon

Destroyer of Worlds
I would stay away from and corn syrup sweetened products. I'd also keep a detailed list of what she eats, and reactions, if any. You'll narrow it down pretty quickly with a little detective work.

This is something that should really be addressed by a medical professional.

x

Booko

Deviled Hen
evearael said:
I am starting to strongly suspect my daughter and myself have a corn intolerance, which is daunting because corn is in just about everything in one form or another.

If so, it sure is daunting. My doc, who has gluten/soy allergy herself, says she thinks corn is the worst allergy to dodge (if you live in the U.S. anyway).

However! That said, I've been getting off corn since last September, and it just becomes part of your normal lifestyle a lot quicker than you'd think!

You'll automatically be eating a lot healthier, too. :)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I don't (as far as I know) have any food intollerance, but I did notice (from watching a TV programme) that a lot about your dietry health can be learned from just looking at the tongue.

Strangely enough, I always used to eat white bread, and my tongue was " yeasty" according to what the doctor had said on the show - I think she is actually a nutritionsist - and I have eaten brown bread since.

I did suffer from mild Athlete's foot - and that too, has cleared up; from what I understand, that too is a "too much yeast" problem.

Because I am trying to lose weight (and the only way I can do that is by cutting down the calories), I have given up cheese - which, apparently, most contain saturated fats - so, hopefuly, a bonus for the heart and arteries.

Hacker

What kind of symptoms is she exhibiting Evearael?
I try to avoid gluten as much as I can, I have significantly reduced my intake. I had the blood test performed and my IGG(gliadin-which is gluten) antibodies were significntly high. So I made an appointment to get a colonoscopy done to ultimately confirm whether or not I am in fact intolerant, but I never followed through, it was during the semester and I happened to have a test that day:rolleyes: ...and I didn't know I HAD the test when I made the appointment because I had to schedule it way in advance.
As far as my symptoms are concerned, after eating gluten I feel bloated, my tummy hurts and I suffer from constipation(sorry),lol.:eek:
Although my health and digestive system has REMARKABLY improved since I have decrease my intake... although sometimes I do have a whole grain turkey sandwich or something from time to time so I'm not consistant, and I know I have to be but it's SOOOOO difficult. I need to get this confirmed...I think I'm going to call today.lol:cool:

Moni_Gail

ELIGE MAGISTRUM
My mom is allergic to corn. It's been hard on her because just about everything contains some derivitive of corn, such as corn syrup as a sweetner because it's cheaper. For the longest time doctors kept telling her that she was bipolar. She went to a chiropractor that specializes in homeopathic remedies and such. He was the first to bring up the possibility of a food allergy. He had her lie down, he then took glass capsules which had different products such as milk, corn, or dander in powder form and placed them on certain areas of her body. They are similar to pressure points, and then asked her to push against his hand. When she was allergic to something she had zero strength in that arm to push against him. It was wild and she was of course quite skeptical. But she went along with it, cut corn out of her diet entirely and was happy with a level mood for the first time in her life. Again, she's had to go to natural food stores for her grocery shopping, but it's been a plus and changed her life for the better. It's definitely worth looking into.
Another thing, he initially thought of corn because those who are allergic to it tend to have emotional symptoms.

Booko

Deviled Hen
xexon said:
I would stay away from and corn syrup sweetened products. I'd also keep a detailed list of what she eats, and reactions, if any. You'll narrow it down pretty quickly with a little detective work.

No, you won't. You won't even get close.

Corn is so endemic you will think you've cut it out, and you won't even come close to doing so.

Does "xanthan gum" ring any corn alarms for you? It didn't for me, but boy, do I react to the stuff.

Dig around this site for a while, and you'll quickly see what I mean:

http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn-allergen-list.php

This page is just the tip of the iceberg.

I have to bring tissues and TP with me when I leave the house, because Kleenex and some TP branks are dusted with cornstarch.

Oh, and if you happen to live anyplace where people use corn-derived ethanol in their cars, yeah, well, have fun with that.

As for consulting professionals, yes, that's true. However, be aware that MDs have exactly 0 hours training in nutrition and food allergies. There are only two (2) med schools that even teach a nutrition course, and those courses are quite recent (within the last 10 years). So if you go to an M.D., unless he specializes in food allergies, odds are you know as much as he does, and probably more if you've done any research at all.

Here's a good one for you I just heard from someone the other day: Her MD said she tested positive for gluten allergy, so he recommended she only eat Ezekial bread. :thud:

It's nothing but glutinous grains! Good Lord, is he trying to kill her or what???

If he doesn't know that much, I'm pretty certain he doesn't know that about 75-80% of those with gluten allergy are also allergic to soy.

It was the so-called "alternative" health professionals that found my allergies. In the case of airborne molds, I'm no longer allergic. (yay!) Food allergies are another matter, but they've been of great assistance in instructing me how to get off the stuff.

Doctors aren't paid to spend time talking to patients, so even if they did know much about it (which they don't), they wouldn't have the time to teach you what you need to know.

That's not the doc's fault -- it's just the way our healthcare system is set up to work.

evearael

Whenever she ingests corn it shoots through her system and causes diaper rash where ever it contacts her bottom. I've had digestive issues with it as well that I'm fairly sure I can attribute to corn. I also have a host of health issues that have yet to be explained by doctors. For instance, I have had a headache almost everyday from at least my toddler years on and it would make a good deal of sense if there is a dietary trigger for it.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Tlcmel said:
As far as my symptoms are concerned, after eating gluten I feel bloated, my tummy hurts and I suffer from constipation(sorry),lol.:eek:
Although my health and digestive system has REMARKABLY improved since I have decrease my intake... although sometimes I do have a whole grain turkey sandwich or something from time to time so I'm not consistant, and I know I have to be but it's SOOOOO difficult. I need to get this confirmed...I think I'm going to call today.lol:cool:

Yeah, you sound like you have classic symptoms, tlcmel.

Another thing to check is whether you find tender spots just above the top of your hip bone and just toward the navel, on either side.

The ileo-coecal valve is on one side and the valve of houston on the other. These valves will clog up pretty fast and you'll feel one or both of them tender. And then...if it's really bad...comes the migraine.

My daughter and I have this problem on opposite sides when we accidentally eat something we shouldn't. You can help detox by massaging the area (yeah, it'll hurt a little while you do this), but it unclogs the valves so things move through. We call this "getting a valve job." :D

Magnesium citrate is also very handy to have about the house. We get it in pill form from our doc rather than have to drink the icky bubbly stuff from the drug store.

Moni_Gail

ELIGE MAGISTRUM
Booko said:
Another thing to check is whether you find tender spots just above the top of your hip bone and just toward the navel, on either side.

Wow, this one happens to me a couple times a week. :shrug I apologize if I missed this earlier in the posts, but how is it avoidable?

Hacker

Booko said:
Yeah, you sound like you have classic symptoms, tlcmel.

The ileo-coecal valve is on one side and the valve of houston on the other. These valves will clog up pretty fast and you'll feel one or both of them tender. And then...if it's really bad...comes the migraine.

My daughter and I have this problem on opposite sides when we accidentally eat something we shouldn't. You can help detox by massaging the area (yeah, it'll hurt a little while you do this), but it unclogs the valves so things move through. We call this "getting a valve job." :D

Magnesium citrate is also very handy to have about the house. We get it in pill form from our doc rather than have to drink the icky bubbly stuff from the drug store.
Yes, I used to take Magnesium Citrate and it made my tummy hurt really bad, so I try to stay away from laxatives...the closest I come too as far as laxatives are concerned is..I drink Senna tea from Yogi it's called "Smooth Moves"LOL...it's a mild laxative and that seems to help if I have a really bad episode.:eek:
I take psyllium husk seeds, about a tbs of flax in my kefir shake and in that shake I put fruit in it with my green supplement(perfect food from Garden of Life), I try to drink tons of water, and also I incorporate relaxation exercises like yoga meditation which really helps. Right now, I'm taking this herb called triphala...it's good for ANYONE really...it's a detoxifying herb...it could lower serum cholesterol...etc... I'll edit and post what it is.
Thanks Booko!

EDIT: Triphala, link below...
http://www.planetherbs.com/articles/triphala.html

KEFIR is also EXCELLENT for the digestive track, it contains friendly bacteria which helps to fight off the bad etc...
http://www.kefir.biz/why.htm

Booko

Deviled Hen
Moni_Gail said:
My mom is allergic to corn. It's been hard on her because just about everything contains some derivitive of corn, such as corn syrup as a sweetner because it's cheaper. For the longest time doctors kept telling her that she was bipolar. She went to a chiropractor that specializes in homeopathic remedies and such. He was the first to bring up the possibility of a food allergy. He had her lie down, he then took glass capsules which had different products such as milk, corn, or dander in powder form and placed them on certain areas of her body. They are similar to pressure points, and then asked her to push against his hand. When she was allergic to something she had zero strength in that arm to push against him. It was wild and she was of course quite skeptical. But she went along with it, cut corn out of her diet entirely and was happy with a level mood for the first time in her life. Again, she's had to go to natural food stores for her grocery shopping, but it's been a plus and changed her life for the better. It's definitely worth looking into.
Another thing, he initially thought of corn because those who are allergic to it tend to have emotional symptoms.

Moni, this is precisely how I found out about my allergies to corn, and dairy (cow and goat).

Have you been tested yourself? Because guess what -- if you mom is allergic to corn -- so are you. You might just be in the "sensitive" stage at your age, but it will hit you like a brick wall at some point. Sometimes the boys dodge the corn allergy, but the girls...sorry, nope. Both my kids are allergic to dairy, and my daughter to corn just like me.

The good news is, if you're off the stuff when you're having kids, YOUR kids won't have these allergies. Yay!

It may seem like voodoo medicine, but in other countries (Germany especially), applied kinesiology (AK) is considered standard medical practice, and it's MDs who are doing it. It's a powerful diagnostic tool, with basis in traditional ayurvedic healing techniques, Chinese medicine (acupuncture) and Western science mixed in.

The beauty of kinesiology is, you can learn to do it fairly well yourself, at least for the basics.

There are nearly no medicines I can take at the drug store any more. The few that *might* be left, they label with "food starch." Yeah, well I *might* be able to take it, if the "starch" they felt like using that day wasn't corn. :rolleyes: Without kinesiology, I would just have to put it back on the shelf. I just have my husband, one of the kids, or my friend test me out, and sometimes I find out that, at least for that batch they made that day, I can take the medicine.

The only OTC medicines I know of that are corn free are:

Sudafed
Benedryl
Excedrin

That be it. No cold remedies or anything like that.

I did find one kind of Midol my daughter can take but again, the next batch maybe she can't. So instead I make sure she takes her minerals (certified allergen free from our chiropractor) and use peppermint spirits the way my grandmother used to.

It took my doc a while to find the corn, because the dairy was interfereing more. Once I got off that, we could start looking for the next layer, and found corn. The migraines *mostly* cleared up when I went off diary, but now they're just gone.

I don't know that I had emotional symptoms, but now that you mention it, for the past several years my brain has been just a lot fuzzier, and I've never had that problem before. Most people treat middle-aged women like their ditsy broads anyway, so you kind of go through this thing accepting it as "normal" and maybe just something that comes with having kids.

Ah, the brain seems to be coming back -- I'm reading things and picking up the info more like I used to.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Moni_Gail said:
Wow, this one happens to me a couple times a week. :shrug I apologize if I missed this earlier in the posts, but how is it avoidable?

You stay off the food that's triggering the allergic response, Moni. It's the only way. :( It's just your body giving you a warning sign.

Like I said, if you're Mom's allergic ... then you at least have a sensitivity and eventually if you keep eating corn you will have the full blown allergy too.

My daugher is triggered by some other things as well that you might want to look at. Trans fats are a huge thing with her, and frankly, no one should be eating any of those anyway. You'll mostly get them from the same sources you'd get corn, though. Fast food and baked goods are the worst sources.

Booko

Deviled Hen
michel said:
Because I am trying to lose weight (and the only way I can do that is by cutting down the calories), I have given up cheese - which, apparently, most contain saturated fats - so, hopefuly, a bonus for the heart and arteries.

Switching to the brown bread is great choice, Michel. Do you eat rice or pasta much? It's just generally better to eat the old-fashioned whole grains.

And if you're trying to lose weight, don't eat too much of them. Follow your gran's advice and eat your veggies. :)

Booko

Deviled Hen
Tlcmel said:
Yes, I used to take Magnesium Citrate and it made my tummy hurt really bad, so I try to stay away from laxatives...the closest I come too as far as laxatives are concerned is..I drink Senna tea from Yogi it's called "Smooth Moves"LOL...it's a mild laxative and that seems to help if I have a really bad episode.:eek:

I have an herbal product called Colon Clear that I use.

The thing about the magnesium citrate is the pills are really low dose (and it ends being cheaper than the bottled stuff too). So my daughter, for now, takes just 1 3x day, so it doesn't have that effect.

In our case, if we get something in our food, we just need to blow out the plumbing as fast as possible, or we'll both end up just unable to function.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
I saw the answer to this on documentary stating that worms, the ones we used to have in our bodies, until everything got so clean; help our immunes system to stay stronger in the first place and so not getting allergies to begin with.
Not suggesting everyone eat raw potato, yet a bit of dirt and getting mucky when younger strengths the immune system to counter illness and allergies later.

Also unsure on how much horse chestnut (bread of life) effect the strength of the immune system to enable to defend against such things, yet would help I do believe as feeding the body all the natural elements makes it stronger.

Moni_Gail

ELIGE MAGISTRUM
Booko said:
Moni, this is precisely how I found out about my allergies to corn, and dairy (cow and goat).

Have you been tested yourself? Because guess what -- if you mom is allergic to corn -- so are you. You might just be in the "sensitive" stage at your age, but it will hit you like a brick wall at some point. Sometimes the boys dodge the corn allergy, but the girls...sorry, nope. Both my kids are allergic to dairy, and my daughter to corn just like me.

Yes, I was tested. I was allergic to dairy, but not corn. However, I just can't stay away from dairy. I love yogurt, ice cream, milk especially with my cereal, chocolate, and so on. Though so far he said the only reaction I get is a sinus infection. So for me I'd rather have the sinus issues and not lose out on my milk.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Moni_Gail said:
Yes, I was tested. I was allergic to dairy, but not corn. However, I just can't stay away from dairy. I love yogurt, ice cream, milk especially with my cereal, chocolate, and so on. Though so far he said the only reaction I get is a sinus infection. So for me I'd rather have the sinus issues and not lose out on my milk.

Moni, what will happen if you stay on the stuff is you will be a basket case sometime after you hit forty. Something in women's hormones goes wonky when we start perimenopause and then all sorts of things hit the fan. Then you will have no choice but to get off the stuff altogether. If you cut out unnecessary sources now you might be just fine having the odd dairy-based treat (especially cheese).

I never had any serious reactions to dairy either, and then after I hit 40 the symptoms started creeping up on me. By the time I was 45 I was pretty much an invalid with a near constant migraine that no medicine would touch. I couldn't hold down a job. My kids were taking care of me when they were 10 and 12. :cover:

You'd be surprised how easy it is to get off milk, and now much you won't mind. Cheese is the hardest, but you probably can do goat's milk cheese anyway. Most people who are allergic to cow aren't allergic to goat.

Also, you might find you tolerate raw milk fine. As allergic to cow as I am, I can eat raw milk brie I get from Whole Foods...no reaction at all.

There's also an ice cream store in Michigan where I can eat the ice cream. They get their milk directly from the farmer down the road.

My daughter had a tough time switching from milk to Silk brand soy milk for about 2 months. After that, she tried milk and declared it "yucky."

Some other possibilities to try: If you haven't had hot cocoa made from warming up Chocolate Almond Breeze...ooh, it's really really better than the "real" thing. :eat:

And Soy Delicious makes a great soy ice cream. Chocolate Obsession is my personal fave. Most of the faux ice creams are pretty nasty, but this one is very good.

And you can eat all the sorbet you want -- it has no milk in it anyway. If you like sherbert and just switch to sorbet instead, you won't notice any difference, but you'll be removing yet another dairy source.

Well, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but maybe there are some suggestions worth pondering.

After 2 years of being totally off cow and goat dairy (except for that ice cream store!) I'm now able to eat certain kinds of cheese again, as long as I don't do it regularly. My doc says that'll improve over time.

My whole family is allergic to dairy, but I'm the only one with an allergy that's bad enough to be triggered by cheese.

Milk seems to be the worst. I swear it's the process of pasteurization (which changes the protein) and homogenization that's messing so many of us up.

Moni_Gail

ELIGE MAGISTRUM
Those are great suggestions and I really do appreciate them. That and the forewarning of the symptoms worsening over time. My mom drinks the silk imitation milk, maybe it's soy I'm not really sure. So yeah, I'll give it a try. Thanks. :D