• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Food faddie? Risk to life?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'm sure many will have come across this piece of news:

Brit boy, 17, goes deaf and blind from sausage, chips and Pringles diet

I was probably lucky, like so many living immediately after WWII, in that we were on rationing and hence mainly the necessities were the priority for our diet, and my mother, being a very caring and conscientious individual (and a good cook), did see to it that our diet was nutritionally adequate at all times. We all grew up healthy enough as far as I can tell. We had an allotment where produce (fruit and vegetables) were an addition to the rationing as well as chickens kept in our garden as I recall.

And, from what I remember, I was not an especially fussy eater, probably because of the rationing, such that I rarely left anything on my plate. The one issue I did have, apart from not liking Brussel Sprouts (even though I did eat them), was in removing sultanas from the curries my mother often made - I just didn't like the sweetness and squelchiness contrasting with the rest of the meal. Perhaps it was just her version of curry too since I've not come across this in much eating of all sorts of curries.

What I was like as a very young child I can't remember so can't comment on what it might be like for others, but the individual in the article linked seems like a real tragedy.

Any experiences to relate?

Last edited:

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam

While I can understand toddlers being picky with their food, it usually doesn't last THAT badly.

What in the world were the parents thinking ??
His disorder could have been diagnosed before all this if the parents didn't enable this behavior. I'm sorry, at that point there is no way they were not like "b-but he wanted fries so I made some for him!" It's enabling.

I've had the same when I was a teacher, with children already severly overweight before 10 because they were gorging on fast food and processed crap everyday. When talking to the parents about this, it was Always the same excuses "but that's what he likes!", "He throws a tantrum when I cook vegetables what I am supposed to do?" Etc...

Like, I dunno, every children have this phase ? Do your job as a parent ? Food is not throwing in your children's throat whatever they ask for, it's a very important part of their education !

Worst thing is this kind "give everything your kid asks for" education is not only not beneficial on the food side, but also on the motor and cognitive abilities side.

I had a 5 y/o who couldn't hold a pen or finish a 6 piece puzzle. We were VERY worries because it's abnormal here, and had an urgent meeting with the parents and some doctors. I was sure there would be some kind of motor or cognitive disability... NOPE ! She was absolutely not disabled, she just NEVER touched anything else in her life other than a phone or tablet. Nothing else. No toys, puzzles, nothing. She never developped her fine motor skills and started her school life with insanely late capabilities because her parents were like "b-but that's what she wants !" And couldn't be bothered to do their job as parents.

I'm so mad

Aum Namah Shivaya

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I was probably lucky, like so many living immediately after WWII, in that we were on rationing and hence mainly the necessities were the priority for our diet, and my mother, being a very caring and conscientious individual (and a good cook), did see to it that our diet was nutritionally adequate at all times. We all grew up healthy enough as far as I can tell. We had an allotment where produce (fruit and vegetables) were an addition to the rationing as well as chickens kept in our garden as I recall.

And, from what I remember, I was not an especially fussy eater, probably because of the rationing, such that I rarely left anything on my plate. The one issue I did have, apart from not liking Brussel Sprouts (even though I did eat them), was in removing sultanas from the curries my mother often made - I just didn't like the sweetness and squelchiness contrasting with the rest of the meal. Perhaps it was just her version of curry too since I've not come across this in much eating of all sorts of curries.

What I was like as a very young child I can't remember so can't comment on what it might be like for others, but the individual in the article linked seems like a real tragedy.

We didn't have rationing when I was growing up, although I don't recall that I was a terribly fussy eater - at least not anymore than what would be considered average at my age.

The main issue I had at mealtime is that all too often, I was given far more food than what I could comfortably eat. It was a stressful time, since every bite I took was scrutinized, every mistake I made was criticized. It got to the point where I literally hated eating with others; I still prefer to eat alone.

As for this poor kid who has gone deaf and blind, I would wonder if chips and sausage are the actual reasons for his condition - or if he was affected by something else. Lots of kids eat junk food, but don't go deaf and blind from it.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Sultanas in curry. I have never found this atrosity anywhere but fish and chip shops is Lancashire? My pleasure was a (various) Hollands pie, chips, mushy peas and gravy but my friend always had fish, chips and curry sauce. The thought of those sultanas put me off curry for my teenage years.

I am lucky with my kids, they are not picky eaters although the eldest daughter has been vegitarian for 5 years now so i need to take care there is no cross contamination (as she puts it) while preparing meals.

If a child is obstinate in their food choice a daily multivitamin will help add what they are missing from their diet.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I was a bit fussy about food when I was young when we went out. My mother was not a very creative cook so I was OK eating the veges etc she prepared. But I remember not being willing to eat a (lettuce mostly) salad without thousand island dressing (the compromise). I got over it as time went on.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Sultanas in curry. I have never found this atrosity anywhere but fish and chip shops is Lancashire? My pleasure was a (various) Hollands pie, chips, mushy peas and gravy but my friend always had fish, chips and curry sauce. The thought of those sultanas put me off curry for my teenage years.

I am lucky with my kids, they are not picky eaters although the eldest daughter has been vegitarian for 5 years now so i need to take care there is no cross contamination (as she puts it) while preparing meals.

If a child is obstinate in their food choice a daily multivitamin will help add what they are missing from their diet.

Perhaps my mother has friends in the North, or she just went for added value. :D

I quite like sultanas on their own or with nuts. And I quite liked the teaspoon of malt (but not the cod liver oil) we also used to get.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Perhaps my mother has friends in the North, or she just went for added value. :D

I quite like sultanas on their own or with nuts. And I quite liked the teaspoon of malt (but not the cod liver oil) we also used to get.

Didn't do the malt but mom (only in winter) stood and watched me swallow cod liver oil capsule every day before school.

I was raised on a farm, mom had a whole field to grow her veg and fruit, we always ate a good diet.

sooda

Veteran Member
Vanakkam

While I can understand toddlers being picky with their food, it usually doesn't last THAT badly.

What in the world were the parents thinking ??
His disorder could have been diagnosed before all this if the parents didn't enable this behavior. I'm sorry, at that point there is no way they were not like "b-but he wanted fries so I made some for him!" It's enabling.

I've had the same when I was a teacher, with children already severly overweight before 10 because they were gorging on fast food and processed crap everyday. When talking to the parents about this, it was Always the same excuses "but that's what he likes!", "He throws a tantrum when I cook vegetables what I am supposed to do?" Etc...

Like, I dunno, every children have this phase ? Do your job as a parent ? Food is not throwing in your children's throat whatever they ask for, it's a very important part of their education !

Worst thing is this kind "give everything your kid asks for" education is not only not beneficial on the food side, but also on the motor and cognitive abilities side.

I had a 5 y/o who couldn't hold a pen or finish a 6 piece puzzle. We were VERY worries because it's abnormal here, and had an urgent meeting with the parents and some doctors. I was sure there would be some kind of motor or cognitive disability... NOPE ! She was absolutely not disabled, she just NEVER touched anything else in her life other than a phone or tablet. Nothing else. No toys, puzzles, nothing. She never developped her fine motor skills and started her school life with insanely late capabilities because her parents were like "b-but that's what she wants !" And couldn't be bothered to do their job as parents.

I'm so mad

Aum Namah Shivaya

I never had any problem with my kids.. I fixed nutritious meals and served their plates. If they didn't try it the first time.. they'd try it the next time it was served. No battles at dinner time ..or power struggles.