• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Food Banks

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Before Covid, our local food bank had come along way.

For the longest time, folks using the food bank were given a box full of food based on the number of people in their home. Often, the food wasn't anything the person wanted/had heard of/knew how to prepare(this was before internet was something had by most)and a lot of stuff simply got tossed.

Realizing this wasn't the best way to do things, the local food bank changed into somewhat of a grocery store set up, with a person being granted the waivers to walk through the 'store' and pick up so many items out of each section(based on family size). This worked really well, and less food was wasted. It also gave them the ability to better store and offer produce, as they obtained refrigeration and freezers.

After Covid, things started sliding backwards. Though they still had the ability to better store foods, the boxes came again(they didn't want people in their 'stores'). And with the boxes, there is a lot of food going to waste.

A friend of ours uses the food bank. They seem to give him insane amounts of certain items(like 4 lbs of strawberries for a single man), but not anything that really goes together. (mushrooms and tortilla chips?) Its fine if one knows how to cook, but I find many people in the Midwest simply do not... My mother also uses the food bank too, sometimes. I get calls from both of them "want this? Can't use this. Will you eat this?" I'm sure they're not the only two that do this.

Actually, chances are, if you've ever donated lentils in the Midwest, they're in my cupboard, because I've actually had food bank users sneak them into my house after I have declined them(all vegetarians consume unlimited amounts of lentils seem to be the belief).

Do you have food banks locally? If so, how do they run? Have things changed during Covid?

Last edited:

Viker

Häxan
That's kind of how ours was, pre-Covid.
Now, they set out a really big box for people with vehicles. People without cars get smaller boxes.

Covid has messed up food distribution for the very poor. And put a strain on it all.

I live in the "Compassionate City" so we try to adapt.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Now, they set out a really big box for people with vehicles. People without cars get smaller boxes.

Covid has messed up food distribution for the very poor. And put a strain on it all.

I live in the "Compassionate City" so we try to adapt.

I find it frustrating on all levels. I know the amount of need has gone up, but I also know the amount of waste has gone up, too. There's an assumption that once the food is distributed around here, that it is being used, but I see too many people that are given stuff they don't know what to do with.

I wish they could figure out a way to do the voucher system again, so people can get what they know as 'food'. (There are a lot of different cultures locally, and while a jackfruit might be the perfect item for one family, another will find it too intimidating to deal with.) Not sure what can be done for now, though.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
In france it is illegal for shops to throw away food that can be donated to charity.

Some stores here intentionally destroy food so homeless or needy folks can't take it out of the trash....

My husband was abandoned as a child, and he sometimes had to eat out of dumpsters. Some shop keepers would smash the food up if they saw him around.

There was one store on the 'poor side' of town that would let people know "Legally, I have to throw [names list of items] out tonight. I have to put it in the dumpster, or I'll lose my job. But, once it goes to the dumpster, what happens isn't my responsibility". All kinds of things would be in there...new clothing, food, home and school supplies, over the counter medicines.... all 'required' by the company to be thrown away.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
No, it's the fault of them there Remainers
Ah, yes, sorry can't keep up with the scapegoating. Did you also know that the EU are being vindictive in their visa rules for non-EU countries now that the UK is a... checks notes... non-EU country? (As voted for by Leavers who wanted...checks notes again... to end freedom of movement...).
I'd like to think I'm going to wake up from this, but it's real isn't it...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

For the longest time, folks using the food bank were given a box full of food based on the number of people in their home. Often, the food wasn't anything the person wanted/had heard of/knew how to prepare(this was before internet was something had by most)and a lot of stuff simply got tossed.

Realizing this wasn't the best way to do things, the local food bank changed into somewhat of a grocery store set up, with a person being granted the waivers to walk through the 'store' and pick up so many items out of each section(based on family size). This worked really well, and less food was wasted. It also gave them the ability to better store and offer produce, as they obtained refrigeration and freezers.

After Covid, things started sliding backwards. Though they still had the ability to better store foods, the boxes came again(they didn't want people in their 'stores'). And with the boxes, there is a lot of food going to waste.

A friend of ours uses the food bank. They seem to give him insane amounts of certain items(like 4 lbs of strawberries for a single man), but not anything that really goes together. (mushrooms and tortilla chips?) Its fine if one knows how to cook, but I find many people in the Midwest simply do not... My mother also uses the food bank too, sometimes. I get calls from both of them "want this? Can't use this. Will you eat this?" I'm sure they're not the only two that do this.

Actually, chances are, if you've ever donated lentils in the Midwest, they're in my cupboard, because I've actually had food bank users sneak them into my house after I have declined them(all vegetarians consume unlimited amounts of lentils seem to be the belief).

Do you have food banks locally? If so, how do they run? Have things changed during Covid?

The one here is a distribution place for other agencies. It distributes to homeless shelters, hospitals, school lunch programs, and a whack of other social agencies. Less than 5% goes to individuals dropping by, although that still happens. So it's as if all the groups that needed food for the folks they care for got together and formed an umbrella agency. In this way, it's better use of it. When they give it out, they know there is a high chance of it being used, and it's far more likely to go to the people who truly need it. I don't think Covid has affected it as much although there is more campaigning for donations, as Covid did affect that. They used to collect a sports events, at festivals, etc. Their bins are in many handy places, like at the exits of grocery stores, houses of worship, etc. Out temple has a couple of large boxes.
We used to give food, but so they can get what they need, rather than what we perceive they need, we switched to a monthly donation automatically from our bank account.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Some stores here intentionally destroy food so homeless or needy folks can't take it out of the trash.

That is so bad.

My husband was abandoned as a child, and he sometimes had to eat out of dumpsters. Some shop keepers would smash the food up if they saw him around.

Shocked, you read about children being abandoned in 3rd world countries, but never america, the American dream, etc

There was one store on the 'poor side' of town that would let people know

At least some people care

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I haven't used one since I first moved out on my own. That one they sent out a flyer each month telling you the "menu" of what came in a large box for the month. I don't see it lasting a family very long, but me being single and poor it went far in helping to keep me fed. And then the Recession his and they closed.
Another one, one I took my clients to as a case manager, it had a point system based on household size and you got to pick what you wanted (things like meat and produce were usually limited to a couple selections) from a list of what they had with each item costing a certain number of points. This one though was highly immoral and unethical, in my opinion, because they did require church membership.
Some stores here intentionally destroy food so homeless or needy folks can't take it out of the trash....
That makes my blood boil. Too bad there isn't an incentive program to feed the homeless and needy with their high amounts of waste.
The Pizza Hut I briefly worked for back in Indiana did donate the left overs of its pizza buffet.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Shocked, you read about children being abandoned in 3rd world countries, but never america, the American dream, etc

It happens, it just isn't talked about. How its dealt with depends on where you live. I believe he was about 12 or 13 when his mother and him parted ways. He was in a rural southern area, so he just bounced around, worked where he could, attended the band program at some school, and got food where he could. Sometimes he slept outdoors(thankfully, its a warm climate.) He couch surfed at the houses of his friend's parents when there was a spot open, and one of them helped him get emancipated when he was able to(so his mother couldn't keep claiming him on taxes).

It would be harder to do that in a colder climate or a fussier one(for example, there's no way a school would let a random kid hop into band practice around here). Thankfully, he isn't resentful of his childhood(though he won't have any contact with his mother, unsurprisingly, who is running from the law currently for fraud).

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I volunteer on the clothing side of White Pony Express which includes food rescue. The food rescue model is to pick up surplus food and distribute it:

Rescued food is taken to a variety of not-for-profit agencies feeding hungry people in Contra Costa County. Food is transported in our refrigerated vehicles to more than 70 local, not for profit organizations, including: food pantries, shelters, agencies for victims of domestic violence, senior adult centers, soup kitchens, substance abuse and rehabilitation programs, medical day care facilities, churches and agencies helping support the working poor.

This is the source of the food:
In general, food rescue (sometimes called “food recovery or food salvage”), involves taking excess or surplus food but is still perfectly good from retail food establishments, commercial distributors, and professional kitchens and then redistributing it to those in need. This food, which would otherwise be discarded, is not spoiled, rotten, or out of code. The food may not look perfect but is still nutritious and delicious.

WPE has also started a program for smaller donations/immediate recipients (GrubHub for food rescue)

https://www.whiteponyexpress.org/neighbors-helping-neighbors

danieldemol

Premium Member

Just putting my brains to work here, your food bank just needs an off-line equivalent to online shopping.

For example they could hand out shopping tickets with so many tickets which could be spent in each aisle, and lists of items in each aisle.

It may need a workaround for illiterate homeless people, but would keep many homeless out of the stores and reduce food wastage.

In my opinion.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

I have also ended up with a lot of items like pasta noodles from working with food programs and taking near-expired stuff that had sat on shelves too long.

The groups I’ve worked with switched to working with church kitchens for a while to distribute fresh food to the needy; but that is mostly a holiday thing (and the churches we were working with started wanting to be too preachy and coercive when we just wanted to make sure needy people had a warm meal. So we eventually changed “suppliers”).

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Just putting my brains to work here, your food bank just needs an off-line equivalent to online shopping.

For example they could hand out shopping tickets with so many tickets which could be spent in each aisle, and lists of items in each aisle.

It may need a workaround for illiterate homeless people, but would keep many homeless out of the stores and reduce food wastage.

In my opinion.

That's really an excellent idea. One could set up a kiosk outdoors for those without internet access, too.