• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Following President Trump’s executive order green card, visa holders already blocked by airports.

allfoak

Alchemist
"Within hours of President Trump’s executive order limiting immigration from Muslim countries, green card and visa holders were already being blocked from getting on flights to the U.S."

Trump’s order already blocks green card, visa holders at airports

My comment:
I have three cousins in USA now; one female and three male. I hope things go fine with them.

I would imagine it is easier to get out of the US than it is to get in right now.
I am of the opinion that things are going to get rather violent here soon.
The stage is set, it just needs an opening act.
Trump assassination, or economic collapse would do it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Within hours of President Trump’s executive order limiting immigration from Muslim countries, green card and visa holders were already being blocked from getting on flights to the U.S."

Trump’s order already blocks green card, visa holders at airports

My comment:
I have three cousins in USA now; one female and three male. I hope things go fine with them.
The order didn't apply to all Muslim countries.
Just an enumerated few.
It's good to be accurate about such things because many are ready to embrace any rumor, & over-react.
With all this talk of Hitler, assassination, censorship, etc, we ought to be precise in our criticism.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Just an enumerated few.
It's good to be accurate about such things because many are ready to embrace any rumor, & over-react.
With all this talk of Hitler, assassination, censorship, etc, we ought to be precise in our criticism.
Facts, he bans certain refugees basesd upon religion on the Holocaust memorial day.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Facts, he bans certain refugees basesd upon religion on the Holocaust memorial day.
Islamic terrorism is a problem, so we should expect that some Islamic countries
will pose a greater risk than others. It shouldn't be based upon religion, but
we will nonetheless see disparate effect.
As for the particular day, that shouldn't stand in the way of enacting public policy,
which is either good or bad independently.

allfoak

Alchemist
Islamic terrorism is a problem, so we should expect that some Islamic countries
will pose a greater risk than others. It shouldn't be based upon religion, but
we will nonetheless see disparate effect.
As for the particular day, that shouldn't stand in the way of enacting public policy,
which is either good or bad independently.
You use the term "Islamic Terrorist", they use the term Jihad.
For them it is all about their religion.
How do you avoid religious discrimination under those circumstances?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You use the term "Islamic Terrorist", they use the term Jihad.
For them it is all about their religion.
How do you avoid religious discrimination under those circumstances?
The term used doesn't matter.
(Although "jihad" typically means something entirely different from war or terrorism.)
Terrorism is as terrorism does.
If a country poses a risk, that is what matters.
If this country is Muslim, that shouldn't matter.

Edit...
I don't say that I approve of what Trump is doing.
I'm not yet familiar enuf to pass judgement.

Last edited:

David1967

Premium Member
I feel your concern SG. And I too wish your family members that are here all the best. I don't believe that they will have any problems as they are here in good standing already.

allfoak

Alchemist
The term used doesn't matter.
(Although "jihad" typically means something entirely different from war or terrorism.)
Terrorism is as terrorism does.
If a country poses a risk, that is what matters.
If this country is Muslim, that shouldn't matter.
I understand that it doesn't matter or shouldn't matter but to those that we are keeping out, it matters.
I agree with the need to keep violent people out of our country, we have enough of our own.
But it seems to me we need to be very careful how we handle this.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I understand that it doesn't matter or shouldn't matter but to those that we are keeping out, it matters.
I agree with the need to keep violent people out of our country, we have enough of our own.
But it seems to me we need to be very careful how we handle this.
Aye, great care is needed.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Just an enumerated few.

The article mentions "A draft version of the order covers at least seven countries", which is not a definitive list. If you know if any, please share.

Also, knowing Trump, he's got business relationships with some Muslim countries and he probably doesn't want to sever them by banning those countries. If I remember correctly, he had a statement that says "total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering USA". I think this is an accurate statement.

But I agree, it has to be accurate. I'd like to see an accurate statement about it.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If I'm someone who lives in another country, I would definitely think twice about coming here even if I'm not Muslim. I hope people in Trump's administration come to realize that what they are doing is likely to create more harm than good.

At this point, having the Statue of Liberty on our soil and what it says seems so utterly hypocritical. Europeans especially well remember what the rise of fascism looked like, and we some some of the same movements now taking place here.

As a student of the Holocaust, this is truly scary because we simply do not know where and when it'll stop and, hopefully, more sensible heads will eventually prevail.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Has anyone here read the actual document that was signed or is everyone running with what the media is saying?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Has anyone here read the actual document that was signed or is everyone running with what the media is saying?
It's probably out there. CNN showed the wording on their telecast last night, and my guess is that one can probably google it.

Curious George

Veteran Member
As with the Obama executive orders, I usually read them on whitehouse.government to see what they contain. Theven extreme vetting order was not published there last time I looked. But, I am sure that it will be worded in such a way as to not be overtly discriminatory. This means the side claiming discrimination must prove disparate impact and intent to achieve that disparate impact. Obviously, the impact will be there. And I am of the opinion that trumps statements demonstrate the intent, regardless of whether the intent is explicit in the order.