• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Following Confucianism and Taoism

tigersgrowl1093

How would one go about following Confucianism and Taoism?

I love everything about both. I am young and naive and have no clue how one goes about following both at once.

I understand they're both similar in many ways. They both have to do with 'the way' and are about harmony and peace.

I suppose I just don't understand the more spiritual part of both.

Do *all* Confucianists believe in a god? How do they worship said god if they do? How do they honor their ancestors?

Is it similar to buddhism in the way that they light a candle, pray, etc?

Please, enlighten me and forgive me for my ignorance.

I hope I have offended no one with my ignorance.

Thanks.

TurkeyOnRye

How would one go about following Confucianism and Taoism?

I love everything about both. I am young and naive and have no clue how one goes about following both at once.

I understand they're both similar in many ways. They both have to do with 'the way' and are about harmony and peace.

I suppose I just don't understand the more spiritual part of both.

Do *all* Confucianists believe in a god? How do they worship said god if they do? How do they honor their ancestors?

Is it similar to buddhism in the way that they light a candle, pray, etc?

Please, enlighten me and forgive me for my ignorance.

I hope I have offended no one with my ignorance.

Thanks.

I would recommend reading the Tao Te Ching and the books of Confucius, even meditate on chapters, but nothing more. It is important to understand that these teachings are insubstantial. To try to grasp at these teachings would be like trying to grasp running water. There are certainly self-described Taoists and Confucianists who have their own beliefs, interpretations and traditions, but I would suggest that they too are trying to grasp running water. I would suggest falling into the river and letting the currents take you where they may.

Last edited:

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Greetings Tigersgrowl and welcome to RF. Hope you find enjoyment here.

One appreciates the fine advice given by TurkeyOnRye to go to the original works and study for oneself. Let two books be offered in addition that may aid your understanding: Essential Spirituality by Roger Walsh, and Change Your Thoughts - Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao by Wayne Dyer. The former covers study across all religions with references relating to writings of the Tao and Confuscious, and the second is one noteworthy individual's understanding into the
"Tao Te Ching" and the method which he used to get that understanding.

Regards,
a..1

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I recommend Herbert Fingarette's book "Confucius: The Secular as Sacred" as a nice primer both on Confucianism and how it integrates with other aspects of eastern philosophy like the Tao te Ching.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I think Dopp will agree with me that Alan Watts gives a good western perspective in a very readable way on Taoism and Zen philosophy.