• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Followers of Abrahamic Religions Only: God, Why So Quiet and Why So Invisible?

David Davidovich

I think Hebrew Scripture is the story of a peoples experience of/with their God. I do not believe that God 'speaks' words but relates to certain people, mystics, who then must relate the meaning to men in a familiar enough language of the time to be understood.

Well, it would have been nice if someone of the Jewish faith members had commented on that. But I supposed that I will have to start a thread for only Torath Mosheh Jews like I used to, but I had thought that @Ehav4Ever had kind of changed his style since I had seen him over in the "debate" forum and debating about... of all things... Christian Greek Scriptures. :eek: :eek: :eek: So, it looks like I'll have to start a separate thread for them.

Ehav4Ever

Well, it would have been nice if someone of the Jewish faith members had commented on that. But I supposed that I will have to start a thread for only Torath Mosheh Jews like I used to, but I had thought that @Ehav4Ever had kind of changed his style since I had seen him over in the "debate" forum and debating about... of all things... Christian Greek Scriptures. :eek: :eek: :eek: So, it looks like I'll have to start a separate thread for them.

Yeah, you will have to start a thread directed at Torath Mosheh Jews. The title of this thread and the content of the question, to me, really means that it is directed at particularly at Christians.

I only get involved in other threads of this nature when people make false claims about us Jews, and even then it is rare. ;)

Last edited:

RestlessSoul

In ancient times written in the Hebrew text or Hebrew Scriptures or the Old Testament, as some people like to call it, God often spoke to people or made some sort of visible manifestations of his presence or his power etc. However, now in the 20th and the 21st century, I personally have never seen or heard of any evidence of this other than claims that purportedly occurred in remote villages or parts of the world where most people don't know about or have travel to. And that you find out about because you incidentally read something in a book or magazine or saw something that was ambiguous or suspect in a YouTube video that you had made a search for in regard to that topic. Therefore, can those from the Abrahamic Religions comment more about this?

I would suggest that God still speaks; but few, it seems, are willing to learn how to listen.

Brian2

Veteran Member
When I was part of a community of faith, I never heard God or saw a demonstration of his power. However, it was always about that community of faith's interpretation of hearing God, which is often times different from some other community of faith's interpretation of hearing God and which is different from another community of faith's interpretation of hearing God and so on and so forth.

And it's too the point where some of those faith communities are saying that they are the ones who are really hearing God and therefore, the other faith communities are not hearing God or are deceived or are false prophets or practicing Avodah Zara.

When I said "Community of faith" I was referring to all Christians and not to one particular group of Christians.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Those things would usually happen within the community of faith probably imo.
So there could be peer pressure and groupthink at play. There could be cross verification of beliefs, and these beliefs are due to people adopting religious ideas and norms, not supernatural interactions.

People who can't hear God calling them to Jesus probably won't hear or even obey those things I mentioned even if God did prompt them to give money to strangers or pray for a certain person.
I always find it misleading and deceptive when believers only refer to basic moral deeds like this as if it is their God behind it all. Atheists give to charity, are moral, and loving too, but we don't get any credit. Notice we don't hear believers admit their tribe also commits murders, like paul Hill and Scott Roeder who mirdered abortion doctors because God told them to. Or the mother that killed her children because she heard God tell her to. Or the 9-11 hijackers who were following God's will. Look at the 30,000 people exectued for witchcraft in the 17th century. That would be around 450,000 today. Look how good and decent Lutherans and Catholics conspired to exterminate the Jews in Europe during the 1940's.

Boy, talk about times when it would have been useful for a God to show up and communicate with his believers.....but silence. It's as if we humans are here on our own, and believers are no more spiritual and moral than atheists. I woulkd expect believers all over the wolrd to behave with a certain unusually high level of compassion, morality and ethics, but we don't. We see many believers act as if they have a corrupt God on their side and they can get away with breaking all the rules.

If this is a world that your God created it certainly appears that it is in way over its head and incapable of managing his human believers.

Treasure Hunter

A king whose days are numbered will do whatever it takes to maintain his position, which includes manipulating the prince. Will the prince remember the promises written on his heart if the kingdom and the throne are hidden from him? Without his right-hand man intervening on his behalf, the prince will indeed be deceived and the wicked king will continue to hold power.

SDavis

In ancient times written in the Hebrew text or Hebrew Scriptures or the Old Testament, as some people like to call it, God often spoke to people or made some sort of visible manifestations of his presence or his power etc. However, now in the 20th and the 21st century, I personally have never seen or heard of any evidence of this other than claims that purportedly occurred in remote villages or parts of the world where most people don't know about or have travel to. And that you find out about because you incidentally read something in a book or magazine or saw something that was ambiguous or suspect in a YouTube video that you had made a search for in regard to that topic. Therefore, can those from the Abrahamic Religions comment more about this?

When Jesus was speaking to some of the people in Jerusalem at the time when he was walking upon the Earth he called them an adulterous generation who seeks for a sign - that means they sought evidence that he was who he said he was.
What was written by the Hebrews was meant to be passed down from generation to generation to generation and those outside of the Hebrew nationality were given a chance to also receive the Gospel.
Jesus said there will be no more signs except the sign of Jonah - which represented his death, burial, and resurrection. Jesus said blessed are they that believe and not see, when speaking to one of his disciples that they named Thomas - who said he needed proof, he wanted to stick his finger in the holes in Jesus's hands.

The ancients was given the evidence and after the resurrection that type of communication ceased. There will be no evidence for those who cry out for it, until the whole world sees him coming from the clouds in the sky with his Angels following him. Which couldn't be possible until the invention of the television / internet.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Well, if that's the case, then why is there such disarray in the world that we live in? And if you don't mind, please don't tell me the hackneyed story of free will and Adam and Eve's sin. Because I would think that there would be more "God" in the world and we could hear him if he were actually communicating with us
We can hear him.
Remember the " still, small voice."?
God may shout at times but he more often whispers, and only those really trying to hear will hear him.

F1fan

Veteran Member
We can hear him.
And what sort of mental condition does such a believer have to be in in order to "hear" God? Why don't Muslims hear God the same way? Or Hindus? Or Jains? Or Shinto?

Could "hearing voices" just be something Christians adopt and then act in their imagination to "hear" theiur God of choice? What method do you use to discern an actual voice of God is being heard versus your imagination?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
And what sort of mental condition does such a believer have to be in in order to "hear" God? Why don't Muslims hear God the same way? Or Hindus? Or Jains? Or Shinto?

Could "hearing voices" just be something Christians adopt and then act in their imagination to "hear" theiur God of choice? What method do you use to discern an actual voice of God is being heard versus your imagination?
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.” John 8:47

1 Kings 19:11-13
And he said, “Go out and stand on the mount before the Lord.” And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper. And when Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And behold, there came a voice to him and said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

In my own experience God often speaks in object lessons and impressions and amazing "coincidences."
I suspect he speaks differently to each person in the language they can understand the best. I can only remember time or two when it was something close to an audible voice... when he's speaking through the Bible it's often as if one line or verse or passage suddenly stands out, and I see something there I never did before.

He definitely speaks to me through his creation, also and through people. How do we know it's God? As Jesus said, we recognize his voice because we are his followers.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
It appears to most people that God no longer interacts with His followers, but if you read between the lines of many pastors and ministers, many of them will actually claim that He tells them things, or directs them towards the right direction. Once I prayed to God, found the advice I was looking for, but I didn't take it. The choice to not take His advice was a decision I still regret to this day. God can tell you what to do, but God can't make you do it, unfortunately. And I'm not even a Christian or part of one of the Abrahamic religions. God may be nothing more than the invisible agent inside of you talking but that inner light of divinity sometimes has a lot of things to say.
I would say that God is not a respecter of persons and doesn't mind answering people who aren't christians.

Brian2

Veteran Member
So there could be peer pressure and groupthink at play. There could be cross verification of beliefs, and these beliefs are due to people adopting religious ideas and norms, not supernatural interactions.

Ahh, umm?

I always find it misleading and deceptive when believers only refer to basic moral deeds like this as if it is their God behind it all. Atheists give to charity, are moral, and loving too, but we don't get any credit. Notice we don't hear believers admit their tribe also commits murders, like paul Hill and Scott Roeder who mirdered abortion doctors because God told them to. Or the mother that killed her children because she heard God tell her to. Or the 9-11 hijackers who were following God's will. Look at the 30,000 people exectued for witchcraft in the 17th century. That would be around 450,000 today. Look how good and decent Lutherans and Catholics conspired to exterminate the Jews in Europe during the 1940's.

Boy, talk about times when it would have been useful for a God to show up and communicate with his believers.....but silence. It's as if we humans are here on our own, and believers are no more spiritual and moral than atheists. I woulkd expect believers all over the wolrd to behave with a certain unusually high level of compassion, morality and ethics, but we don't. We see many believers act as if they have a corrupt God on their side and they can get away with breaking all the rules.

If this is a world that your God created it certainly appears that it is in way over its head and incapable of managing his human believers.

I was referring to people being prompted to give x dollars to a stranger when the stranger was in desperate need of just that amount. I was referring to people being prompted to pray for a particular person or group etc just at the time when they were in severe need. I did not make things clear, and I was not putting down atheists and their giving.
But yes things aren't clear in history when believers are guilty of horrible acts against even their own brothers and sisters.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Ahh, umm?
A loss for words, eh?

I was referring to people being prompted to give x dollars to a stranger when the stranger was in desperate need of just that amount. I was referring to people being prompted to pray for a particular person or group etc just at the time when they were in severe need. I did not make things clear, and I was not putting down atheists and their giving.
What is this supposed to prove? Non-Christians give money as needed, and sometimes christians are too greedy to share what they have. Your point is what? And prayer has been shown to have no effect on health outcomes. So you point is that Christians will do irrelevant gestures for others? Finish your points here.

But yes things aren't clear in history when believers are guilty of horrible acts against even their own brothers and sisters.
Then what purpose is religion when it doesn't make bad people better? What use is it, except as a set of ideas that some people thinks define them as humans? Would you be a worse person if you didn't believe in a headfull of religious concepts? Are you afraid of what you would be without religion defining you?

PearlSeeker

The title of this thread and the content of the question, to me, really means that it is directed at particularly at Christians.
Interesting. Jews are not followers of an Abrahamic religion? And don't use Hebrew scripture? Well, that's something new.