• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Follow the Logic

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Something you said reminded me of a math video mentioned a cash prize for anyone who could find a value making the Riemann Zeta function zero. It explains something called 'Analytic continuation' which your comment reminds me of. You have not in anyway used analytical continuation, but I thought the video would be cool.

Consider Math and Physics to be separate things. Math is philosophical while Physics involves measuring physical things. To make any realistic comments about physics you'll need expertise both in Math and in measurement, including an ability to track all changes to whatever object is being studied whether it be temperature, location etc.

Another thing that might interest you is Taoism which first postulates that the universe is composed of opposites, however it comes with no measurement (so no Physics) and no proofs. It is a philosophical system with many political and family ramifications.

That actually had a very nice description of analytic continuation.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
That actually had a very nice description of analytic continuation.
By the way that presenter shares the view that math is entirely a human invention and not something that exists on its own. They'll come around though I'm sure.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I currently lack the skill to run that show. Some people stubbornly insist that mathematical discoveries are human inventions rather than discoveries of universal principles. Its just one of those things where an opinion makes it hard for everybody to sing on the same page. It doesn't change the fact that Physics isn't Math, but it might change the way its argued by pedants. Then that in turn sabotages the OP, see?

Well, I agree that Math isn't Physics, but I don't see mathematical discoveries as uncovering 'universal principles'. At least in part, that's because I am a mathematician and know many different ways of supporting mathematical reasoning. Even logic fails to be universal at some point.