• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Follow new traditions or old ones because of heritage?

Given that I believe that no religion posits as the entire truth, some will choose to pursue that truth in a new perspective and dramatically change their practices, such as converting to the Baha'i Faith, Sikhism, or Christianity.

Others will, out of desire to pass down cultural heritage anyways, will remain in the religion of their parents and forefathers.

Is there any point in following a religio-cultural tradition simply because you know it best, and that all traditions are grasping at this one reality, or is it that one should change one's practice to fit that current purview and truth?

What do you think of this?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Given that I believe that no religion posits as the entire truth, some will choose to pursue that truth in a new perspective and dramatically change their practices, such as converting to the Baha'i Faith, Sikhism, or Christianity.

Others will, out of desire to pass down cultural heritage anyways, will remain in the religion of their parents and forefathers.

Is there any point in following a religio-cultural tradition simply because you know it best,
and that all traditions are grasping at this one reality, or is it that one should change one's practice to fit that current purview and truth?

What do you think of this?
I think an argument could be made in support of doing this. It depends on the individual, the religious & cultural traditions etc.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I always think that one should take a close look at 'old' traditions to determine just what they are, their meanings, where they came from, etc.

I always think that one should take a close look at 'old' traditions to determine just what they are, their meanings, where they came from, etc.

There are many gurus who teach that one should stick to one's own religion and just build on it. I used to think that such an idea was quite silly, since people should have the right to choose their own religious values and practices.

However, as I am progressing in my spiritual path, I suddenly miss Christianity. It was so ingrained in me in the past, and I am considering the path again. After all, those who profess of different religious values, and yet end up becoming tolerant, accepting, non-dogmatic, loving, etc. just adds to the fact that God probably does not care about specifics.

My history with Vaishnavism for about four years of strict practice, my wavering doubts about the necessity of Sri Guru in this age, and my general miss of Christianity is affecting me much.

I know a few children who were raised in a religious tradition and stick with it, but reinvent it or adapt it so that it becomes their own; and just like anything, converts generally possess a certain zealotry with their religious choice, while those who were hardwired into their religion or long-term affiliated with the particular tradition tend to practice it more naturally, casually, and less preachy. :p