• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Foam On - Marxism, Secular Humanism, or Christianity?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
College professors exalt Karl Marx as a pillar of wisdom and integrity, believing his ideas will solve our societal problems. Did you know Marx never held a steady job and that he spent most of his days sitting, thinking, and drinking while two of his young children died of starvation? Two other children committed suicide when they became adults. With his track record, should we really be looking to Karl Marx for advice on life?

This is an interesting claim. I have been a university professor for 35 years and have never seen anyone exalt Marx as a pillar of wisdom and integrity.

I *have* seen people who agreed with him that many people are abused by capitalism and that something needs to be done about it. And I have seen a number of people who are very critical of the way the west has dominated much of the rest of the world.

But I have not seen the type of religious devotion to Marx that you are claiming to be common.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
College professors exalt Karl Marx as a pillar of wisdom and integrity, believing his ideas will solve our societal problems. Did you know Marx never held a steady job and that he spent most of his days sitting, thinking, and drinking while two of his young children died of starvation? Two other children committed suicide when they became adults. With his track record, should we really be looking to Karl Marx for advice on life?
Which ones?
Have you been to college or university?
I've been to university. I've even taken a number of political science classes. I don't recall a single professor doing what you claim here.

And what does this have to do with whether or not Marxism actually works in reality or not. Who cares if Karl Marx was lazy? What's that got to do with anything?

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have been to college, but I never had a professor say that or much about Marx. I didn't take any economics classes.

Are you trying to make two things equivalent here? The ideas a person comes up with are bad, because that person did something you or many of us would consider bad?

Has no Christian ever done anything that most of us would find to be stupid or terrible?

Was he giving advice on life in the sense of taking care of a family?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
This is an interesting claim. I have been a university professor for 35 years and have never seen anyone exalt Marx as a pillar of wisdom and integrity.

I *have* seen people who agreed with him that many people are abused by capitalism and that something needs to be done about it. And I have seen a number of people who are very critical of the way the west has dominated much of the rest of the world.

But I have not seen the type of religious devotion to Marx that you are claiming to be common.

And I will accept your anecdotal evidence when . . . ?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Which ones?
Have you been to college or university?
I've been to university. I've even taken a number of political science classes. I don't recall a single professor doing what you claim here.

And what does this have to do with whether or not Marxism actually works in reality or not. Who cares if Karl Marx was lazy? What's that got to do with anything?

I have three college degrees and I accept your anecdotal evidence because . . . ?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I have been to college, but I never had a professor say that or much about Marx. I didn't take any economics classes.

Are you trying to make two things equivalent here? The ideas a person comes up with are bad, because that person did something you or many of us would consider bad?

Has no Christian ever done anything that most of us would find to be stupid or terrible?

Karl Marx was a nihilist (and if do the research an occultist--which should bother you as a theist) who advocated not just the proletariat overthrowing the bourgeoisie, but perpetual, endless chaos and perpetual revolution.

It's working so far overseas, isn't it?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

Karl Marx was a nihilist (and if do the research an occultist--which should bother you as a theist) who advocated not just the proletariat overthrowing the bourgeoisie, but perpetual, endless chaos and perpetual revolution.

:shrug:

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

It's working so far overseas, isn't it?
How does this support your claim about Marx being exalted at universities? Have you shown any of us that his ideas have no merit because of his unrelated personal failings? Have you shown anyone that Marx is giving out advice on life? Does he recommend paper or plastic?

Did you lose track of what you were arguing?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
How does this support your claim about Marx being exalted at universities? Have you shown any of us that his ideas have no merit because of his unrelated personal failings? Have you shown anyone that Marx is giving out advice on life? Does he recommend paper or plastic?

Did you lose track of what you were arguing?

I think the term Marxism is being used where it really shouldn't be, due to black and white thinking.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

It's very hard to buy any type of ism hook, line and sinker. There are so many gray areas for agreement/disagreement.