• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flu shots - do you get them?

Do you get Flu shots?

• Total voters

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I think your argument is silly. That is not an ad hominen. I believe I have presented more than enough evidence. I am disinclined to provide more. Any simple search of the internet will give myriads of data about the usefulness of the flu vaccine-- and the popular myths-- that surround it.

I could care less what you think about my disinclination to do your own homework.

I assure you, I've done far more reading and research on this than you have. But, I'll take that as you have nothing else to offer, and are unwilling to see that your "evidence" hardly comes close to even addressing what I'm saying. So, go, tuck tail and run under the guise that you've somehow meaningfully debated the issue.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Yay! I've always wanted a tail. :D

EDIT:
Though, in all seriousness, if you have done so much reading and have such a welter of information, then why don't you present any of it? Why not show that the CDC is lying about the effectiveness of the flu vaccine? Why not show that the vaccine doesn't reduce cases of the flu?

Alceste

Vagabond
The severity of your case was rare. These side effects do occur, again rarely, but generally in a rather mild form. In addition, it is not outside the realm of possibility that you got sick from something else.

I think the "dangerous myth" is not that the flu vaccine can have side effects. After all, basically anything has side effects. The dangerous part is when they are presented as more common than they are, when they are presented as more severe than they are, and because all these anecdotal stories-- often, though not always, based on misinformation-- add to the general hysteria people have about vaccines.

Your case very well may be a legitimate one about the adverse side effects about flu vaccine. It just should be made just as clear that this was a rare thing.

I mean, I work with ~35 people. We all got the vaccine. And besides a slightly sore arm muscle for about a day, none of us had any other side effect.

But of course, nobody remembers these anecdotal stories. They will only remember yours.

I don't think people are hysterical about vaccines. I think they are too worried about the flu. There is so much flu news every year it gets on my nerves. We have about a two percent chance of getting the flu any given year, and the shot reduces that to one percent. I really don't see what the big deal is. Get it if you want it, but live and let live. Wanting it isn't superior to not wanting it - different strokes for different folks! I can cut my odds of getting sick down just as much as the shot by other means, like hand washing and making it clear to parents that if their kids are sick they should not come to their music lessons.

I haven't had the flu in years anyway.

ZooGirl02

I get a flu shot every year because I have asthma and my doctor thinks that I need to be as protected as possible from any respiratory illnesses. I also get a pneumonia shot once every 5 years or however often it is that you're supposed to get one.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I get a flu shot every year because I have asthma and my doctor thinks that I need to be as protected as possible from any respiratory illnesses. I also get a pneumonia shot once every 5 years or however often it is that you're supposed to get one.

Getting a Pneumonia shot doesn't actually keep you from getting Pneumonia ironically. My son got his this past Summer and was hospitalized with Pneumonia this past Autumn. Why? Because there are both viral and bacterial strains of Pneumonia. The shot only protects from one, not the other.

averageJOE

zombie
I only get it every year because the Army pins me down and sticks me with it. Before I joined the Army I never got it, and once I get out I won't get anymore.