• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flu shots - do you get them?

Do you get Flu shots?

• Total voters

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
True. However, it's better than determining reality by looking solely at "rarely."
One must look at both.

Ya know, our silly & trite little aphorisms will offend normal folk if we keep this up too long.
Perhaps just a few more & we should call it quits for the day, eh?

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never had one and as far as I can see I never will. The last time I had anything I can remotely describe as the flu was over 16 years ago. I don't even know if it was the flu. I just felt crappy for a few days and stayed in bed.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Getting a vaccine for something doesn't make you a repellent for the germs or something though. It just means that once exposed that your body can fight it off without you succumbing to the illness. If you are exposed to the virus, have the germs on you, say you touch something or someone infected, don't wash your hands, and proceed to touch someone else, you can still transmit the flu to someone else even if you had the flu shot. It is upon that other person to have their shot or not as to whether they are going to have the ability to ward off the flu...not you. So while yes, it may lessen your chance of being a carrier, that is, being sick for a prolonged period and being able to carry the disease to others more proficiently, it doesn't mean that by pure means of germ progression and hygiene matters that you can't transmit the flu just because you've had the shot.

Did I imply that a flu shot was a guarantee against transmitting the flu? I was told that the purpose was to hedge our bets against spreading the virus as fast as it could.

As of today, I have not gotten sick with the flu or any major cold this year. Typically I get sick with aches, fever, vomiting, and congestion a few times every year. I can't say for sure that it was the result of the flu shot or if my change in diet or my stress levels have changed were all causes in a stronger immune system, but I can say that it didn't hurt to get the flu shot.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Did I imply that a flu shot was a guarantee against transmitting the flu? I was told that the purpose was to hedge our bets against spreading the virus as fast as it could.
I thought that's what you were implying here:
I resisted until this year, when my doctor insisted I get the flu shot because I'm around young children so much.

I was told that it is not only about protecting myself, but that I could transmit the disease to others without getting sick. So it's to protect the children and their families that I come into contact with.

It was enough of an argument for me to get one.
I was just trying to point out that having the shot doesn't mean that transmission is out of the question, just that you are less likely to be a long term carrier. And then, only of specific strains.
As of today, I have not gotten sick with the flu or any major cold this year. Typically I get sick with aches, fever, vomiting, and congestion a few times every year. I can't say for sure that it was the result of the flu shot or if my change in diet or my stress levels have changed were all causes in a stronger immune system, but I can say that it didn't hurt to get the flu shot.
Well, that's good. If any of those things have worked in your favor, then that's great for you. I don't get sick often anyway. I have allergy issues I deal with regularly, but that's not getting sick. I had a sinus infection a couple months ago, but that's so rare for me I can't even remember the last time before that that I was really sick. So I just trust in my own immune system. Everyone is different.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Ya know, our silly & trite little aphorisms will offend normal folk if we keep this up too long.
Perhaps just a few more & we should call it quits for the day, eh?

Ah, the two of you at it again...KT and Rev...you two keep this up and you won't offend me...you'll turn me on. :D

Reverend Richard

New Thought Minister
Well, do you? Have you ever had one? Do you regularly get them, or only once in a while?

Yes, I take a flu shot every year. My doctor encourages me to take the flu shot, especially now that I'm in my 60s - I guess I am coming on what some people refer to as "elderly" in age. Hahaha! I find that disconcerting. From my perspective, I do not think of myself as old, much less elderly. But, in theory, my immune system is not as good as it used to be (or so I am told).

I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.:D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ah, the two of you at it again...KT and Rev...you two keep this up and you won't offend me...you'll turn me on. :D
Just don't expect me to offer you any "satisfaction".
KT will have to perform all the manly deeds.
But if you want to kick back & eat chocolate while gossiping, I can do that.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Indeed, when a vaccine can be shown to "obviously work" and be safe, then there is no need for suspicion. For example, vaccines for small pox and polio, when introduced, reduced the cases of those diseases immediately and significantly. Traditionally, most vaccines fall into this category. Their beneficial effects can be measured and seen, so you know they are actually effective. Conversely, the flu vaccine, has no scientific studies which show that it reduces the number of cases of flu in the real world. However, it does have a very big and continuing marketing campaign.
No scientific studies? Really?

CDC- Flu vaccine effectiveness

Seems like it's rather rigorously studied. Actually, I was even a part of one of these studies when I was in college.

Yes, sometimes the flu vaccine is not well-matched to the actual strains in circulation that year-- that is an inherent issue with such a mutable virus, and the fact that you have to predict which strains ahead of time to make the vaccine in time-- but other years it is well-matched. And that's still a much different problem than your assertion that there's no studies at all!

If after looking at the actual facts of the dangers and benefits of aspirin you feel this way, then you should definitely not take it. The important thing is to question things, learn things, and develop the skill of making rational decisions based on facts, knowledge, and other relevant variables.
So, has it been proven that the flu vaccine harms people? What are the dangers of the flu vaccine for the average person? If the risk is low, and the benefit can be great, then why wouldn't you take those odds?

The point about aspirin was that the suspicion about vaccines is often hypocritical, and based merely on misinformation and unfamiliarity. Aspirin has been shown to be damaging even under normal use, unlike vaccines, and yet I'm willing to wager the vast majority of vaccine detractors don't even bat an eye when the pop a few for a headache.

Last edited: