• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flu shots - do you get them?

Do you get Flu shots?

• Total voters

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I dont want flu shots. Especially upon discovering the ingredients in them. Like Mercuary.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I only got it once and I was sick more that year with the flu than any other year.

For those who say this, do you know for a fact it was the flu? Did you actually test positive for the flu, or do you just assume that was what it was?

I am a medical lab tech-- I'm the dork who runs these tests. And it's surprising how few people who come in complaining of the flu actually have it. The same is true for strep throat.

Also, I get the vaccine every year, since I do work in healthcare and it's free.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I dont want flu shots. Especially upon discovering the ingredients in them. Like Mercuary.

I'm pretty sure that there is nothing dangerous about the vaccines since they suggest that pregnant women get them.

Mercury has not been shown to produce any issues in these vaccines. However, because of the autism backlash, they have been replacing the mercury with other preservatives-- not because the mercury was causing any problems, but just so people had less to ***** about. So, it's actually pretty likely that your news is old and the new vaccines are mercury free.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
For those who say this, do you know for a fact it was the flu? Did you actually test positive for the flu, or do you just assume that was what it was?

I am a medical lab tech-- I'm the dork who runs these tests. And it's surprising how few people who come in complaining of the flu actually have it. The same is true for strep throat.

Also, I get the vaccine every year, since I do work in healthcare and it's free.

The doctors told me it was the flu. I have never in my life been tested for the flu, you just go to the doc and they say whether it is or not.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
The doctors told me it was the flu. I have never in my life been tested for the flu, you just go to the doc and they say whether it is or not.

If they didn't do the test, then it's not confirmed. Myriads of viruses mimic the flu, the symptoms can be just the same. You can't distinguish between them just by looking at someone. So it may have been the flu and it mayn't have been.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
If they didn't do the test, then it's not confirmed. Myriads of viruses mimic the flu, the symptoms can be just the same. You can't distinguish between them just by looking at someone. So it may have been the flu and it mayn't have been.

I have never even heard of people being tested for the flu.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I have never had a flu shot, and got hit with the flu for the first time last year. Knockedme sideways for about three days, that did. As I rarely get sick (only 5 legitimate sick days last year, including the flu), I don't feel the need to get the shot this year either.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Never.

My Mom and little Sis get them because they both have compromised immune systems because of a being a transplant recipient and having Crohns respectively.
Interesting.
I do not get them BECAUSE of my Crohn's Disease.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I don't get them. I don't get sick that often, and I don't want to take the risk of getting a bad batch of contaminated vaccine.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I get, on average, one cold a year - which lasts about two days. I think I may have had the flu in the early 90's, but it may have just been a bad cold (most sicknesses people think are the flu are actually just colds). I don't see any need to get a vaccine which I have no need for, and would more likely cause me side effects than prevent the flu.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I do wonder why people are so suspicious of vaccines. I mean, these things have been around forever, they obviously work, and millions of men, women, and children get them every year with little to no adverse effects.

Frankly, I think aspirin is likely much more dangerous.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Never had a flu shot. Quite pointless honestly. I had the swine flu (haven't had flu in *many* years) when everyone was panicking about it, didn't die! :eek:

Only people who have weak immune systems should take it, pregnant women, young children and old people.

Why should someone who is in health take it?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I do wonder why people are so suspicious of vaccines. I mean, these things have been around forever, they obviously work, and millions of men, women, and children get them every year with little to no adverse effects.

It fits into a larger picture of distrusting powerful hidden forces.
When the mechanism behind something very complex or otherwise removed from
daily experience, fear of nefarious motives can frighten the bejeezus out of us.
Anti-vaccine activists, 9/11 deniers, and Google’s social search. - Slate Magazine

And please....no one read this as disparaging healthy & informed skepticism.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I resisted until this year, when my doctor insisted I get the flu shot because I'm around young children so much.

I was told that it is not only about protecting myself, but that I could transmit the disease to others without getting sick. So it's to protect the children and their families that I come into contact with.

It was enough of an argument for me to get one.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I've never had one and don't intend on every getting one.
I don't see the point. I almost never get the flu. Last year I didn't even get a cold. Besides that, i know far too many people who get very heavy flus straight after getting the vaccine. I even know one lady who had never had a flu her entire life but in her 50s became a nurse and had to get one. Immediately after she got her first even flu and has had them every year since then.

No thanks.

Most people who die from flue have never had the flue before.
Many people think a bad cold is the flue. Which it is not it is a different more dangerous virus.
All people who are old or at risk are called in to have a free jab by their doctor in the UK.
Any one can buy one in a chemist, there are no restrictions.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I resisted until this year, when my doctor insisted I get the flu shot because I'm around young children so much.

I was told that it is not only about protecting myself, but that I could transmit the disease to others without getting sick. So it's to protect the children and their families that I come into contact with.

It was enough of an argument for me to get one.

Getting a vaccine for something doesn't make you a repellent for the germs or something though. It just means that once exposed that your body can fight it off without you succumbing to the illness. If you are exposed to the virus, have the germs on you, say you touch something or someone infected, don't wash your hands, and proceed to touch someone else, you can still transmit the flu to someone else even if you had the flu shot. It is upon that other person to have their shot or not as to whether they are going to have the ability to ward off the flu...not you. So while yes, it may lessen your chance of being a carrier, that is, being sick for a prolonged period and being able to carry the disease to others more proficiently, it doesn't mean that by pure means of germ progression and hygiene matters that you can't transmit the flu just because you've had the shot.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Getting a vaccine for something doesn't make you a repellent for the germs or something though. It just means that once exposed that your body can fight it off without you succumbing to the illness. If you are exposed to the virus, have the germs on you, say you touch something or someone infected, don't wash your hands, and proceed to touch someone else, you can still transmit the flu to someone else even if you had the flu shot. It is upon that other person to have their shot or not as to whether they are going to have the ability to ward off the flu...not you. So while yes, it may lessen your chance of being a carrier, that is, being sick for a prolonged period and being able to carry the disease to others more proficiently, it doesn't mean that by pure means of germ progression and hygiene matters that you can't transmit the flu just because you've had the shot.

So it helps....:rolleyes:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Indeed, when a vaccine can be shown to "obviously work" and be safe, then there is no need for suspicion. For example, vaccines for small pox and polio, when introduced, reduced the cases of those diseases immediately and significantly. Traditionally, most vaccines fall into this category. Their beneficial effects can be measured and seen, so you know they are actually effective. Conversely, the flu vaccine, has no scientific studies which show that it reduces the number of cases of flu in the real world. However, it does have a very big and continuing marketing campaign.

If after looking at the actual facts of the dangers and benefits of aspirin you feel this way, then you should definitely not take it. The important thing is to question things, learn things, and develop the skill of making rational decisions based on facts, knowledge, and other relevant variables.