• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flowers in the kitchen

irena

Tell me, please, who has the colors in the kitchen? What flowers do you plant? I really want flowers to grow in my kitchen. But I can't figure out what to plant. I'm often on business trips

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If you have at least a somewhat sunny location, cacti or aloe would be a good choice even though they don't flower indoors with the exception of Christmas cacti. I have cacti in my kitchen, but I put them outside once it warms up in the summer.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Tell me, please, who has the colors in the kitchen? What flowers do you plant? I really want flowers to grow in my kitchen. But I can't figure out what to plant. I'm often on business trips

I like to grow basil in the kitchen, no flowers but very handy in cooking.

Other herbs should do ok too, experiment and see what works

Hyacinth does well and smells devine
Daffodil and African violets

And feeling really daring, orchids.

And of course welcome to RF.

dianaiad

Orchids. They are incredibly easy. They are beautiful, The flowers are long lived and all you have to do is provide ice cubes once a week or so.

.............and they LOOK exotic and hard to grow.

When in reality, they are extremely ignorable. ;)

ChristineM

Premium Member
Orchids. They are incredibly easy. They are beautiful, The flowers are long lived and all you have to do is provide ice cubes once a week or so.

.............and they LOOK exotic and hard to grow.

When in reality, they are extremely ignorable. ;)

I wish!!!
I know people have great success with orchids which is why i mentioned trying them but not in our house.

dianaiad

I wish!!!
I know people have great success with orchids which is why i mentioned trying them but not in our house.

I'll admit that I have them in a 'garden window' where they have a lot of morning light and of course, a great deal of humidity from the sink. Other than that, though, they really are easy....and given that I can't keep a philadendron alive and pretty much all my house plants are silk, is saying a lot. ;)

I've had two of 'em that are nearly five years old and I haven't so much as repotted them. They just keep growing and blooming. I keep TRYING other things, mind you; herbs, an avocodo tree, a strawberry pot...and don't even mention African Violets to me (shudder) those things die before I get 'em out of the store.

But for some reason, orchids just keep hanging in there with me.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I'll admit that I have them in a 'garden window' where they have a lot of morning light and of course, a great deal of humidity from the sink. Other than that, though, they really are easy....and given that I can't keep a philadendron alive and pretty much all my house plants are silk, is saying a lot. ;)

I've had two of 'em that are nearly five years old and I haven't so much as repotted them. They just keep growing and blooming. I keep TRYING other things, mind you; herbs, an avocodo tree, a strawberry pot...and don't even mention African Violets to me (shudder) those things die before I get 'em out of the store.

But for some reason, orchids just keep hanging in there with me.

Lucky you.

But your strawberries reminded me of our strawberry trees [sic]. We made 2 of them to hang in the courtyard.
A 8inch wide plastic drain pipe about 4 or 5 feet long with holes punched randomly about 8 to 10 inches apart across one half of the pipe. One end blocked and the pipe filled with compost. Young strawberry plants planted in the holes (or bedding plants) the whole thing hung on a handy hook.

We have had fresh strawberries at least one a week since march, and are still harvesting with no garden space taken.

dianaiad

Lucky you.

But your strawberries reminded me of our strawberry trees [sic]. We made 2 of them to hang in the courtyard.
A 8inch wide plastic drain pipe about 4 or 5 feet long with holes punched randomly about 8 to 10 inches apart across one half of the pipe. One end blocked and the pipe filled with compost. Young strawberry plants planted in the holes (or bedding plants) the whole thing hung on a handy hook.

We have had fresh strawberries at least one a week since march, and are still harvesting with no garden space taken.

Very cool...and while I like to look at orchids, I do love to eat strawberries! Besides which, strawberry plants are beautiful.

I'm just hoping that this year I'll actually get oranges from my five year old dwarf orange tree. It's actually looking sorta promising. Sorta.....

ChristineM

Premium Member
Very cool...and while I like to look at orchids, I do love to eat strawberries! Besides which, strawberry plants are beautiful.

I'm just hoping that this year I'll actually get oranges from my five year old dwarf orange tree. It's actually looking sorta promising. Sorta.....

Never managed to grow oranges, tried a few times from pips, they get to about an inch the die. For that reason i have not bothered buying a sapling but neighbours have no problems with them

I do have a 4 year old lemon tree (again from a pip), no fruit yet. A fig that so far has produced one whole fig that the birds got and 2 grape vines. The black muscat is my favourite and has been very productive this year, we had plenty of lovely grapes from the end of August until last weekend when the last bunch was devoured.

Two years ago we won an apple tree, very rare st ponpon apples, not produced anything yet but there are no other apples near by. Still the blossom is nice

dianaiad

Never managed to grow oranges, tried a few times from pips, they get to about an inch the die. For that reason i have not bothered buying a sapling but neighbours have no problems with them

I do have a 4 year old lemon tree (again from a pip), no fruit yet. A fig that so far has produced one whole fig that the birds got and 2 grape vines. The black muscat is my favourite and has been very productive this year, we had plenty of lovely grapes from the end of August until last weekend when the last bunch was devoured.

Two years ago we won an apple tree, very rare st ponpon apples, not produced anything yet but there are no other apples near by. Still the blossom is nice

You live considerably 'south' (or at least closer to the equator) of me. the winters here are too cold to grow citrus OUTside...and the summers are too hot to grow apples.

grump.

So...dwarf citrus that I bring inside, and I get apples at the market....

ChristineM

Premium Member
You live considerably 'south' (or at least closer to the equator) of me. the winters here are too cold to grow citrus OUTside...and the summers are too hot to grow apples.

grump.

So...dwarf citrus that I bring inside, and I get apples at the market....

I bring the lemon tree inside over winter but there are neighbours who grow oranges in enclosed courtyards.

dianaiad

I bring the lemon tree inside over winter but there are neighbours who grow oranges in enclosed courtyards.
Hmn.

An enclosed courtyard might work...but it can get to zero here in the winter. Not often, but even once is too much for citrus.

My brother is going to build a large enclosure for our back yard patio. That might work...if I don't move all my sewing out there. ;)

In the meantime, I would really like to grow herbs and flowers in the kitchen, though so far only the orchids have lived through me.

dianaiad

Huh...I wonder if I could raise a dwarf apple in that enclosed patio, since it will be air conditioned? or do they NEED a long time below freezing in the winter? I'll have to go look that up..

ChristineM

Premium Member
Hmn.

An enclosed courtyard might work...but it can get to zero here in the winter. Not often, but even once is too much for citrus.

My brother is going to build a large enclosure for our back yard patio. That might work...if I don't move all my sewing out there. ;)

In the meantime, I would really like to grow herbs and flowers in the kitchen, though so far only the orchids have lived through me.

Only zero, you lucky person you. About 5 years ago (just before we moved here it dropped to -18c. The refrigerant in the local shops chiller and freezer cabinets froze.

I find herbs very easy.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Huh...I wonder if I could raise a dwarf apple in that enclosed patio, since it will be air conditioned? or do they NEED a long time below freezing in the winter? I'll have to go look that up..

Apple trees are very frost tolerant. I know some grow well 1000 miles or more north of us in Scotland and Sweden.

dianaiad

Apple trees are very frost tolerant. I know some grow well 1000 miles or more north of us in Scotland and Sweden.

(grins)

Quick. Do you pronounce the 'h" in herbs? I don't....though we do with things like 'Hampshire, hurricanes and Hartford."

And yeah. Apple trees actually love/need frost and a certain number of below freezing days in the winter in order to thrive, or at least that's what the plant nursery guy told me. I guess I can grow Granny Smiths, but that's about it. Figs LOVE it here, and so do most grapes. Not for me, mind you, but everybody else seems to be successful.

Oh......and roses. Even I can't kill roses here.

ChristineM

Premium Member
(grins)

Quick. Do you pronounce the 'h" in herbs? I don't....though we do with things like 'Hampshire, hurricanes and Hartford."

And yeah. Apple trees actually love/need frost and a certain number of below freezing days in the winter in order to thrive, or at least that's what the plant nursery guy told me. I guess I can grow Granny Smiths, but that's about it. Figs LOVE it here, and so do most grapes. Not for me, mind you, but everybody else seems to be successful.

Oh......and roses. Even I can't kill roses here.

I pronounce the H in herbs, or i should but with a Lancashire accent it sounds like i don't. It works in france though, the only time my accent actually works in my favour, 'erbs, 'opital etc. H although used in spelling is silent when spoken

Roses, i have mixed luck, some survive and thrive, others, i just dont know, one day they are fine, next day it looks like someone pulled all the leaves off.

If you don't mind could you say, roughly, to within a hundred miles or so, where are you. Sounds like the UK but i had the impression you were from the land down under.