• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flower blooms when hearing the Athan in Azerbaijan

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Hello everybody.

I found this interesting video about a flower blooms when hearing the Athan 'Muslim Call to Prayer' in Azerbaijan !

CNN || A flower blooms when hearing the Athan 'Muslim Call to Prayer' in Azerbaijan

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Wish they gave the scientific name of the plant, but I think it's an evening primrose (Oenothera spp). Species in this genus are known for opening quickly in the evening (they are moth pollinated) and then closing back up in the morning. Given Islamic prayers happen at specific times of the day like clockwork, the coincidence is... well... coincidence.

(sorry, botany is one of my specialities... I couldn't resist) :sweat:

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Wish they gave the scientific name of the plant, but I think it's an evening primrose (Oenothera spp). Species in this genus are known for opening quickly in the evening (they are moth pollinated) and then closing back up in the morning. Given Islamic prayers happen at specific times of the day like clockwork, the coincidence is... well... coincidence.

Really, is that your explanation !!
Coincidence everyday, 5 times a day , and every prayer calling ?!!

Last edited:

Kirran

Premium Member
When I was in India, the people I stayed with had a dog that would howl whenever the adhan came - we thought it might have been a Muslim in a past life :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Barked! Then it was not Muslim (in its previous birth). It should have kept quiet and remembered/prayed to Allah.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
When I was in India, the people I stayed with had a dog that would howl whenever the adhan came - we thought it might have been a Muslim in a past life :)
Not good exemple.
Animals,not like plant

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

How by coincidence if it opens in each prayer time, sunrise, morning, sunset and evening.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Doesn't say in the video it does it for every prayer. Just twice.

So you think it was a very ordinary phenomenon and the CNN reporters were idiots,
in the video we saw the flower blooms in the sunset prayer then it closes up to blooms
once again in the evening and then it'll close up and so on, so it blooms and closes up
several times a day and in the time of each prayer.

Kirran

Premium Member
So you think it was a very ordinary phenomenon and the CNN reporters were idiots,
in the video we saw the flower blooms in the sunset prayer then it closes up to blooms
once again in the evening and then it'll close up and so on, so it blooms and closes up
several times a day and in the time of each prayer.

Maybe, or maybe something to do with the devotion of the adhan impacted the plant's energy.

We just don't have that much info here. Only showed it for Maghrib and Isha on the video though!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Really, is that your explanation !!
Coincidence everyday, 5 times a day , and every prayer calling ?!!

The video provides no convincing evidence of this at all. There is no data presented about times of day of frequency. There's also no data presented about whether or not this same response would be observed with or without Islamic prayers, or with or without any sort of human vocalization in various languages. It is a nice story that holds meaning for certain people, but the story is unsupported by any data.
Point me in the direction of an academic study proving this phenomena and I'll reconsider the assessment. It would be very easy to design and conduct an experiment for this.

Honestly, if this were a story claiming a flower opens to Pagan invocations to Flora (which makes a lot more sense, IMHO), I'd do a "yeah, right" too.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We have a spring in India in which water flows when it hears adhan, five times a day.
(Of course, it is connected to an over-head tank).
A flower is a sexual display. Apparently the plant found the adhan arousing.
I knew it. I knew it to be that in some way or the other. ;)

Last edited: