• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida mom launches ‘Privacy. Period!’ campaign to block menstrual cycle reporting requirements

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Good grief. What's next? Seriously, what's next? I don't think there's any limit to the increasing regulation and control that is being proposed.

Florida mom launches ‘Privacy. Period!’ campaign to block menstrual cycle reporting requirements

TALLAHASSEE, Fla., Feb. 7, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- The Florida High School Athletic Association's Board of Directors will consider a proposal at its meeting Feb. 26-27 that would make mandatory four questions about teenaged girls' menstrual cycles to provide to athletic departments in order to compete in sports. Florida mom, Jenn Meale Poggie, today launched the "Privacy. Period!" campaign to stop the proposal from being approved.
"Teenaged girls' menstrual cycles are private, and any conversations or disclosure about them should be among the girl, the parents and their physicians. Requiring disclosure about periods to athletic departments is a complete overstep and violation of privacy. Athletic departments need to stay out of health care and respect female athletes' privacy," said Jenn Meale Poggie, who is spearheading "Privacy. Period!" and a mother of three daughters.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
...what now? What's the purpose of this? How is menstruation relevant here?

The only 'team' I was ever on was the swim team, for one year. When that time of the month rolled around, I simply told the coach what was going on, and got a polite dismissal. No one else need to know, no discussion, no paperwork or requirements. The only reason it was relevant in that situation was the pool and my comfortability. In any other sport, why is it relevant(excluding severe symptoms)?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
7f165968-670d-4e36-8c8f-0fca89c73ce6_text.gif

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
To be clear, I'm NOT defending this. My guess is that some girls have multiple periods per month as a way to get out of mandatory PE. Certainly happened when I was a kid.

Of course, using the actions of a small minority of girls to breach the privacy of all girls is pretty screwy.
And I'm guessing intent based on not much. Not sure what else it could be.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
To be clear, I'm NOT defending this. My guess is that some girls have multiple periods per month as a way to get out of mandatory PE. Certainly happened when I was a kid.

Of course, using the actions of a small minority of girls to breach the privacy of all girls is pretty screwy.
Lol we certainly did that whenever we didn’t feel like doing sports/swimming carnivals. Didn’t always work when the teacher was female though. Presumably since they were more aware of the “physical limits.”
Though there were also legitimate medical issues among that as well.
I knew one girl in my class who actually had a doctor’s certificate that excused her for like 90% of PE.

But if my school tried to get us to report on such a thing, I could very easily see them making the headlines for all the wrong reasons lol

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

It's the American Taliban so I assume something nefarious. Like discouraging girls from signing up in the first place or trying to snoop into sexual activity and pregnancy.

I am guessing this part of an attack on transgender students. Another way of “checking under the skirt” so to speak. And also at the same time monitoring potential pregnancies to enforce strict abortion laws.

upload_2023-2-7_22-32-56.png

But if something like this goes through, they should remember the fact that these girls are of “menstruating age” means that in about 6 years (or less) they will be of voting age. They will remember which party did this to them (or tried to do this to them). Not a good political strategy in the long run.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I am guessing this part of an attack on transgender students. Another way of “checking under the skirt” so to speak. And also at the same time monitoring potential pregnancies to enforce strict abortion laws.

View attachment 71517

But if something like this goes through, they should remember the fact that these girls are of “menstruating age” means that in about 6 years (or less) they will be of voting age. They will remember which party did this to them (or tried to do this to them). Not a good political strategy in the long run.
Unless you make it harder for them to vote or just declare the election invalid.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

I doubt that since this was reporting that would be necessary to participate in sports. Those that want to participate in sports are usually not the sort that would cut PE, to me it is more likely that @fantome profane is right. A transgender girl would not have a period to report.

At any rate I have to agree with the mother opposing this. It does not appear to be the state's business at all.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But if my school tried to get us to report on such a thing, I could very easily see them making the headlines for all the wrong reasons lol
Some reactions would have to be great. Like at my school, this lesbian couple started making out during this abstinence only lecture given to the whole school when he said abstinence is the only way to prevent pregnancy, so a response to something like this, yeah, those front page headlines about the response would have to worth framing.:D

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Some reactions would have to be great. Like at my school, this lesbian couple started making out during this abstinence only lecture given to the whole school when he said abstinence is the only way to prevent pregnancy, so a response to something like this, yeah, those front page headlines about the response would have to worth framing.:D
Sounds risky. Did they get pregnant?

Hey! Did I tell you that I just got a job in Florida?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The correct solution to this is for menstruating people to band together and bombard the legislators' social media with the brutally bloody and gory details of their cycle.

Multiple. Times. Every. Single. Day. Period.

[There are actually already groups doing this... I give them a high five.]

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The correct solution to this is for menstruating people to band together and bombard the legislators' social media with the brutally bloody and gory details of their cycle.

Multiple. Times. Every. Single. Day. Period.

[There are actually already groups doing this... I give them a high five.]
What does such easily ignored drivel accomplish? Why not be more direct and in the real world?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I doubt that since this was reporting that would be necessary to participate in sports. Those that want to participate in sports are usually not the sort that would cut PE, to me it is more likely that @fantome profane is right. A transgender girl would not have a period to report.

At any rate I have to agree with the mother opposing this. It does not appear to be the state's business at all.

Yep, agree that is a more likely explanation having read @fantome profane 's response.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
...what now? What's the purpose of this? How is menstruation relevant here?

The only 'team' I was ever on was the swim team, for one year. When that time of the month rolled around, I simply told the coach what was going on, and got a polite dismissal. No one else need to know, no discussion, no paperwork or requirements. The only reason it was relevant in that situation was the pool and my comfortability. In any other sport, why is it relevant(excluding severe symptoms)?

These are attempts to snoop for gender affirming care for trans kids, or kids living by their gender identity, which is becoming increasingly cracked down upon in Southern states. Using hysterics about women's sports as an excuse.

Ironically I would have been a red flag, as I haven't had a regular menstral cycle, ever, and none after I started birth control in my early teens to counteract PCOS symptoms.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What does such easily ignored drivel accomplish? Why not be more direct and in the real world?

Well, if they're really interested in people's bodily functions, I suppose everyone could send them detailed reports of each instance of defecation, with special attention to size, color, shape and consistency. They could even send in stool samples to the school, which would certainly be direct and in the real world.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Valid point lol

Sometimes it’s the reactions that get people talking
For all the wrong reasons lol

Also to that lesbian couple
upload_2023-2-8_15-36-15.gif