• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida Mass Murder

von bek

I don't know of another religious figure in history that out-did Jesus Christ in preaching forgiveness, love your enemies, and do not return violence with violence.

I am obviously biased; but, the Buddha places a high value on non-violence. In fact, the Buddha says that even if people were to hold you down and saw your arms and legs off, you should not let anger arise in your mind.

"Monks, even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding. Even then you should train yourselves: 'Our minds will be unaffected and we will say no evil words. We will remain sympathetic, with a mind of good will, and with no inner hate. We will keep pervading these people with an awareness imbued with good will and, beginning with them, we will keep pervading the all-encompassing world with an awareness imbued with good will — abundant, expansive, immeasurable, free from hostility, free from ill will.' That's how you should train yourselves.

"Monks, if you attend constantly to this admonition on the simile of the saw, do you see any aspects of speech, slight or gross, that you could not endure?"

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.021x.than.html

The above link only gives an excerpt of the discourse. The very beginning is left out of this, the setup is that several monks had become angered over people insulting the Buddha. The Buddha wanted to make clear that no insult, even to Him, is worth becoming angry over. There is no religious justification for violence or murder.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That averages out to less than 1 person a year. There are not millions of Christians that belong to regimes recruiting people world wild to kill the innocent.
It's a very different story in parts of Africa, Middle East, and Asia. And of course there are also groups like Eastern Lightning, Ku Klux Klan, Neo-Nazis, and other groups that participate in varying levels of terrorism.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
So THAT's why I'm not a follower of Buddah!
Someone even LOOKS like they are going to attack me with a saw
(or anything else) is going to look like an acre of gopher holes!

jeager106

Premium Member
It's a very different story in parts of Africa, Middle East, and Asia. And of course there are also groups like Eastern Lightning, Ku Klux Klan, Neo-Nazis, and other groups that participate in varying levels of terrorism.

K.K.K.? Group of cowards that hide behind a bed sheet with eye holes in it.
Neo-Nazis. Samo samo.
Insecure, under educated, freaking morons.
When I was a patrol officer one badge carrying idiot bragged about attending a
K.K.K. recruitment rally.
I told him what I thought of that, went to the Chief and squealed my guts out!
The Chief had a "meeting" with the officer and told him point blank that the
K.K.K. stands for everything a police officer should not!
If the "officer" continued this he could find other employment.
Hey! I have relatives that are Jehovah's Witnesses. Fine, honest, loving,
people that harm no one!
The K.K.K. would crucify them also!
Screw the K.K.K.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Ah, to save the West (and presumably liberal democracy), we must destroy its foundations?

Why don't we ban all of the Abrahamic religions while we are at it? You can never be too sure...
Then again, communism is atheist. When I looked up how many people were killed by communists in Korea, Cambodia, Soviet Union, China, Vietnam, Laos, and Cuba, and other communist nations, they killed an estimate of more than a hundred million people since the Bolshevik revolution.

The most brutal inquisition, the Spanish inquisition , killed less than 8,000 people in a 200 year period (of a very illiterate unenlightened age. )

So, doing away with Religion isn't the answer, as atheists have not proven to be more peaceful on average .

I would say that if there were radical Catholic regimes conquering cities, cutting off heads, crucifying people, setting off car bombs, burning people to death, blowing up Buddhist temples, calling on people worldwide to join them and commit violence in America and Europe, we should declare war on Radical Catholicism and not let any people into our country from the radical Catholic sectors of the world.

And yes, for national security purposes we should be suspicious of Catholics in such a situation, because Common Sense would dictate to us that we don't know who is good and who is bad.

However, if you actually read the official teachings of Catholicism, there is not one thing in the catechism that justifies any of the atrocities that Catholics have committed

That isn't true of some other Religions .

So, I can actually prove that it is a religion of Peace, humility, poverty of spirit, innocence, honesty , and charity, according to what the official teachings of the Church are.

Sadly, by looking at the behavior of Catholics you wouldn't know.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Actually this present conflict was started by Christian countries pre-emptively attacking Muslim countries and killing hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians, and then when they fight back we blame their religion, complete rubbish.

atanu

Premium Member
I am obviously biased; but, the Buddha places a high value on non-violence. In fact, the Buddha says that even if people were to hold you down and saw your arms and legs off, you should not let anger arise in your mind.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.021x.than.html

The above link only gives an excerpt of the discourse. The very beginning is left out of this, the setup is that several monks had become angered over people insulting the Buddha. The Buddha wanted to make clear that no insult, even to Him, is worth becoming angry over. There is no religious justification for violence or murder.

It is easy to chose violence and hatred under the delusion of "I am this body (pure) " and "That is the world (full of evil) that I must reform". This delusion then constitutes one's mind, which expands like a balloon to make up the world. How to come out of this vicious cycle and attain peace?

jeager106

Premium Member
Or getting covered up because they abused their younger sisters.

Lots of this^^^^^^^^^^^^^ gets covered up and under reported.
Much is NOT reported as the "man" is not subject to the Englishman's Law.
Most Amish believe they should not be subjects to laws.
Google that if ya likes.
Far and away the Amish are decent folks.