• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signs a law punishing student 'indoctrination' at public universities

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I suspect that this law will be a reactionary one used to "call out" places that the officials feel is not being indoctrinated in their favoured areas.
Yup. And, of course, it's always big government overreach and just unthinkable when the Dems try such a thing.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I went to a private Christian university, Xavier(OH) go Muskies, and several of the professors there indoctrinated the ideas of leftism. My theology professor, great guy who thanked me for my debate and defense of traditional theology, espoused direct heresy, told the kids that they should put down their Bibles for 20 years, and taught nature was the most important facet of connecting to God.
A lot of those leftist ideas aren't encountered much after college. Even if there was nothing but that being taught in college, the very reality of exposure for a few years and then gone from it doesn't fit the definition of indoctrination that well. Especially since there are opposing view points, libraries don't censor information, and though I've heard concerns about expressing certain views I've never seen the opposition to support these concerns. I even broke some "PC college rules" without consequence, and to my best knowledge nobody cared. Not even the "left most" faculty who saw/read it made a peep about things conservatives swear you can't do in college.
As far as I can tell, it's kind of like comedy in how there are comedians who cry and whine about what you can't say or do anymore, and then there are comedians who do it anyways, tell people who get offended to bugger off (sometimes in ways to make it explode in their face), and survive the twit demands they get cancelled, and live to offend (or borderline offend, sometimes at the risk of actual bodily harm and/or severe legal consequences) again.
I suspect in the end it may all come down to dogma and willingness to believe things "in the air."
Sure, there's plenty of documented examples of PC run amok in college, but, at the same time, I doubt it's that frequent of an occurrence. My time in college is anecdotal, but try as I might I was not able to draw the ire of the PC police, if I even ever caught their attention at all. (but, I also managed to make an uneventful abortion thread lead to a bunch of nothing).

Jeremiah Ames

Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida on Tuesday signed legislation requiring the state's public colleges and universities to survey students, professors, and staff members about their political views in an effort to crack down on intellectual "indoctrination" on campuses.

The bill says the annual surveys would assess "intellectual freedom and viewpoint diversity" and determine "the extent to which competing ideas and perspectives are presented" and whether students, professors, and staffers "feel free to express their beliefs and viewpoints on campus and in the classroom."

The law, effective July 1, demands that students "be shown diverse ideas and opinions, including those that they may disagree with or find uncomfortable," the state's Department of Education said.

University professors and education experts in Florida have expressed concerns that the law would allow the state government to interfere with teaching; politicize faculty hiring, firing, and promotions; and stifle faculty and student speech.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signs a law punishing student 'indoctrination' at public universities and threatens budget cuts
One wonders how this law will play out when the thoughts and ideas they are opposed to are the ones being left out?

I suspect that this law will be a reactionary one used to "call out" places that the officials feel is not being indoctrinated in their favoured areas.

you only need to look at his history and his endorsement by trump, to understand his character

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
How could that possibly go wrong, eh.
It is a huge consolation to me that I'm so frickin' old that I won't see how the Excited States of America eventually collapses.

(And history is very, very clear on this one point: all such ventures collapse. We can't seem to help it -- because we can't answer your excellent question: "how could that possibly go wrong, eh?")

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is a huge consolation to me that I'm so frickin' old that I won't see how the Excited States of America eventually collapses.

(And history is very, very clear on this one point: all such ventures collapse. We can't seem to help it -- because we can't answer your excellent question: "how could that possibly go wrong, eh?")
I'll have been long gone when it happens.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
This is the same government that just banned teaching critical race theory. Now they are going to pretend they support "intellectual freedom and viewpoint diversity".

Just a hint, if you want intellectual freedom you don’t ban ideas you don’t agree with.

Last edited:

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
This is the same government that just banned teaching critical race theory. Now they are going to pretend they support "intellectual freedom and viewpoint diversity".

Just a hint, if you want intellectual freedom you don’t ban ideas you don’t agree with.
"Freedom of speech" has a very specific term among conservatives that in practice has very little to do with actual intellectual freedoms, similar to how the "pro life" movement has very little to do with actual life-affirming beliefs and practices.

It is essentially a case of capturing a particular terminology and putting it in service of a particular political wedge issue - here, "freedom of speech" is all about suppressing leftist speech and politics.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Ya, DeSantis says a lot of things, but I'm hoping some day he gets off his "grandstanding" that's nothing more than a brazen attempt to please Trump & Co and possibly run in 2024 if "the Donald" doesn't.

ecco

Veteran Member
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signs a law punishing student 'indoctrination' at public universities and threatens budget cuts
The law is part of a broader right-wing drive to push back on progressive influences in education. Republican lawmakers across the country have pushed to prohibit the teaching of The New York Times' 1619 Project, about the history of slavery, and of critical race theory, both of which have been banned in Florida's public schools.
This is just another example of the Conservative Right pushing to control education. DeSantis is a Trump supporter and Trump wannabe.

The governor signed two other education bills on Tuesday mandating new civics and "patriotism" education requirements in Florida's K-12 schools, including teaching about the "evils" of communist and totalitarian governments.
I wonder if teaching the evils of totalitarianism will include teaching about how one totalitarian tried to thwart the will of the people in the 2020 election process.

Florida House Speaker Chris Sprowls, a Republican, said at the press conference that Florida's kids needed to be taught "about loving America" and "what our real history is and what our legacy is."
Wait, what? Isn't that comment in direct opposition to prohibiting the teaching of the history of slavery?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

In order for it to work one needs to be cognizant that it's a two way street.